Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WCCO Drops CBS Newscasts

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
SolarMax

WCCO Drops CBS Newscasts

Post by SolarMax » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 pm

From NorthPine.com:

Longtime CBS Radio affiliate WCCO/830 (Minneapolis) has dropped hourly CBS newscasts but continues to be an affiliate of the network.

The News/Talk station, which has Minnesota’s largest commercial radio newsroom, had already exited the hourly national newscast at :03 past to begin local news. Now, the locally-produced newscast begins at the top of the hour and may include national content from CBS.

The practice is common among major market News/Talk stations.

WCCO has been a CBS affiliate since 1932. It was owned by the network for two separate stretches and is now owned by Entercom.

I must have heard one of the last TOH "CBS Radio News On the Hour" casts last night, as I happened to tune by 830. Sure hope Entercom is not contemplating something similar at WWJ.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WCCO Drops CBS Newscasts

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Don't be surprised if CBS News reappears on a Hubbard-owned station in the Minneapolis market; Hubbard in Washington, D.C. just brought back CBS newscasts at the top of the hour.

I love hearing CBS's top of hour newscasts on 950 WWJ in Detroit. I will scream VERY LOUDLY if Entercom ditches those newscasts locally!

Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Back in the day, WJR was Detroit's long time CBS affiliate until about 1976. They used to air their own newscasts throughout the day, except for key hours, like 8am, 6pm, &pm, etc., and air CBS in the other dayparts. WJR was never a CBS O & O, but a key affiliate. CBS personnel would make regular appearances on WJR programs.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 am

1976....was that about the time long time NBC affiliate WFDF in Flint switched to CBS?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic