Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

KFOG Bites The Dust

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Deleted User 12047

KFOG Bites The Dust

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Cumulus discards a long time successful alternative to simulcast a sports station.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/arch ... -simulcast

80sTalkRadioFan

Re: KFOG Bites The Dust

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Wow! Maybe this means Cumulus will hold on to at least some of their San Francisco stations. Hopefully there is another AAA or alternative rock station to fill the void left by KFOG flipping to KNBR's sports format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Yes - 105.3 remains alternative. About a year ago, KFOG evolved from Modern AC to straight-up Alternative and pretty much became a carbon copy of 105.3.

The station hasn't been a true AAA for a number of years. Abandoning the pure form of that format was a colossal mistake, in my judgment.

The station had become severely damaged goods. Pulling the plug was the right move.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:03 pm

I would have picked country to go on 104.5 over sports, especially a simulcast of an AM (unless country would do even worse in the ratings than the current KFOG)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:35 am

What a shame, but Cumulus isn't known for out if the box programming.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:46 am

Meh. KFOG was seeing eroding ratings as a AAA even before going the “Music Matters” route in 2016 and going full-blown Alt last year. The execution of the format never did anything for me, though Cumulus has done a great job with AAA in Ann Arbor.

Simply put, KNBR had to go to FM. KGMZ was gaining on them on FM and this should help Cumulus hold them off on that front. It’s nice to have the Giants on FM, too.

Remember when Woody claimed that his show was going to take revenge on Alt 105.3 for their firing a decade ago? Haha, some revenge there. That makes two markets that The Woody Show has lost a clearance in in 2019.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:33 am

Meh. KFOG was seeing eroding ratings as a AAA even before going the “Music Matters” route in 2016 and going full-blown Alt last year. The execution of the format never did anything for me, though Cumulus has done a great job with AAA in Ann Arbor.
2012 is the year KFOG was ruined. The station never recovered.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Honestly I'm shocked this didn't happen sooner. KFOG sounded absolutely horrid these last few years, and they certainly had the ratings to show for it...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 pm

I had (maybe still do) some cassettes from early in KFOG's rock years in the 80's. I loved their approach to music and not just playing whatever the charts dictated at the time. You hardly heard any rock that made Top100 charts, for instance, and a lot of gold that never gets played nowdays. That was great radio. It's a shame that corporations have reduced radio to what pleases advertisers.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic