Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Screw General Motors (and any other automaker engaging in this practice)

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Screw General Motors (and any other automaker engaging in this practice)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:09 am

I hope they get sued up the wazoo!!!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 057931007/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

RayQix

Re: Screw General Motors (and any other automaker engaging in this practice)

Post by RayQix » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I hope they get sued up the wazoo!!!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 057931007/
Cars, traffic cams, street sensor data.

Time to go hide in the woods except my car will still report where I’m at :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:12 am

Most manufacturers are doing this, great NYT article last week about how poorly they disclose this data sharing. Lawsuits will force change.

Imagine your kid borrowing the car and you insurance jumps 60% based on his/her driving habits.

Here's a good article about it, I opened the paywall. You can order a full report of data that has been shared by Nexus/Lexus.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/tech ... =url-share
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:54 am

What about your cell phone? What about Alexa? What about security cameras everywhere? It's not paranoia, it's reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

Then there's the worn out falsehood, "well, if you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about".

And for you 1.6666667 middle management types, what about banking practices and credit cards that are tracking everything you buy?
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:50 am

Not just GM by a long shot, they're just a convenient target.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:19 pm

Banking is regulated by federal law with regard to information sharing.

For banking, opt-out notices for marketing-related information sharing are required by federal law, using standard language developed by federal regulators, to be sent to consumers who are customers at least once annually.

More info:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/op ... stitutions.

Yes, if you take out a credit card or loan and fail to make payments on time, that info can and most likely will be shared with credit reporting agencies. Similarly, satisfactory payment history can and most likely will be shared. These practices are required to be disclosed to the consumer at time of loan application.

The GM example involves GM selling personal data it collects to third parties in a completely unrelated industry and arguably making misleading representations as to how that collected data gets used. In the U.S., to the best of my knowledge, there are no federal laws prohibiting companies such as GM from selling data in the manner described here. The article does reference an an allegation by Plaintiff that U.S. consumer protection laws were violated, but no further explanation is given. Regardless, common law standards apply, and it is certainly possible GM's actions were tortious. In any event, what GM is doing with OnStar subscriber information in my eyes is unethical given probable lack of proper disclosure to the consumer.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

This is going to end up as a class action suit.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

The fault is making disclosure and opt out nearly impossible.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 am

You’ve may already have been sharing your driving habits with Progressive and Allstate and any company that gives you a safe driving discount , who back in the old days gave you a plug-in device, now they ask you to install an app on your phone (State Farm).
My current auto insurance is with a company that does not do this practice, and I got a discount leaving Allstate and going to a state based company.

I’d say to be a pain-in-the rear, go to a car dealer, shop for a new car, and at every step ask them about privacy data, disclosures and how to ensure you can and are opted out. Deny the sale if they obfuscate.

Given car companies are banking companies when they finance your loan or lease, then does the car data have to follow the same privacy regulations as banking companies?
This angle might be interesting angle to foist on them during your next car purchase.

and I understand EU has much more consumer friendly privacy practices regarding data, I wonder if the same car companies have different practices regarding data for EU shoppers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am

So, if I cancel my OnStar service, will they still be able to track me because the device is still in my vehicle?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:36 am

Google, android and other apps have been caught tracking your phone location even when you turned that off.

Facebook has been famous for writing apps for companies, in exchange for the data. So even if you don’t have Facebook on your phone, any apps that are on your phone are making money sharing the data with big tech.

Govt buys ‘anonymized’ data from tech companies, bid, medium and small, to know things about you without search warrants.
If data for ‘mr. x’ shows he is driving from your GPS address to your works GPS address, then duh, they know it’s you and what you do in between endpoints. This was reported by WSJ few yesterday ago.

Tech has two edges of the sword, amazing features but your data is the price.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 pm

radiofann wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:36 am
Google, android and other apps have been caught tracking your phone location even when you turned that off.

Facebook has been famous for writing apps for companies, in exchange for the data. So even if you don’t have Facebook on your phone, any apps that are on your phone are making money sharing the data with big tech.

Govt buys ‘anonymized’ data from tech companies, bid, medium and small, to know things about you without search warrants.
If data for ‘mr. x’ shows he is driving from your GPS address to your works GPS address, then duh, they know it’s you and what you do in between endpoints. This was reported by WSJ few yesterday ago.

Tech has two edges of the sword, amazing features but your data is the price.
They can track my phone all they want. It's on the kitchen wall and never goes anywhere else.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am
So, if I cancel my OnStar service, will they still be able to track me because the device is still in my vehicle?
They absolutely can if the vehicle is less than ~10 years old. If it's an older vehicle (<2015 or so) they probably can't as those systems can no longer connect to the cell network. But anything new is always "talking" to the cell network regardless if you're actively using OnStar or not, or regardless if you're subscribed or not.

What they actually monitor and what they do with the data is anybody's guess.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 pm

I agree that the "safe driving" insurance programs are often scams.
Given car companies are banking companies when they finance your loan or lease, then does the car data have to follow the same privacy regulations as banking companies?
The finance companies are definitely subject to the regulations established by Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

The auto manufacturing entities themselves obviously would argue those regulations do not apply to them, but rather, only to info collected by their consumer finance subsidiaries.

This will ultimately be a question for a federal court somewhere to decide.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:26 am

Another reason to avoid GM, they are lobbying against AM reception.

https://radioink.com/2024/04/01/five-au ... -lobbying/
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic