Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Useless College Degrees Numerically Ranked

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Useless College Degrees Numerically Ranked

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:39 pm

From American Thinker. These are the types of degrees from colleges frequently referred to as "Party Schools", that my acquaintances eventually had to go back to a serious minded school to get a useful degree, like Walsh. Just to clarify for Matt, I do not consider UM a Party School, and Walsh doesn't seem like much fun, at least that's the way they promote themselves. But the Walsh students ended up with CPAs, etc.

Photography is one mentioned. I do know of at least one "legitimate" respected photographer who has done well financially in "Glamour" "Art" "Photography", which usually means adult women being consensually photographed without clothes. It's a thin line between Photography and, well, you know.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Re: Useless College Degrees Numerically Ranked

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:15 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:39 pm
From American Thinker. These are the types of degrees from colleges frequently referred to as "Party Schools", that my acquaintances eventually had to go back to a serious minded school to get a useful degree, like Walsh. Just to clarify for Matt, I do not consider UM a Party School, and Walsh doesn't seem like much fun, at least that's the way they promote themselves. But the Walsh students ended up with CPAs, etc.

Photography is one mentioned. I do know of at least one "legitimate" respected photographer who has done well financially in "Glamour" "Art" "Photography", which usually means adult women being consensually photographed without clothes. It's a thin line between Photography and, well, you know.

Studying the universe isn’t worthless.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:18 pm

I wonder where his degrees come from. He sounds worse than Audiophile.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:36 pm

Those "metrics" at the top of this useless chart seem... ahem, less than scientific.

I graduated from Walsh, and I still see value for some people and society in those degrees listed. Diversity is OK. We can want different things in life.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:40 pm

Studying the universe isn’t worthless.
I agree, but there are very few PAID positions available for Astronomers, and even fewer for Archaeologists.

Like the article that this came from suggests, students from wealthy families can do some of these as a hobby. And "hogtie" and "snag a spouse" along the way.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:49 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:36 pm
Those "metrics" at the top of this useless chart seem... ahem, less than scientific.

I graduated from Walsh, and I still see value for some people and society in those degrees listed. Diversity is OK. We can want different things in life.
Perhaps not rigorously scientific, but the conclusions seem accurate. As scientific as Soft Science research usually is. More subjective, less quantitative perhaps.

There seems to be no Economic point in a lot of these degree majors though, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars the process, unless you are a family of "multigenerational wealth", or marry into such a family.

-Author Unknown

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Conclusions "seem accurate" based on what? What you want to believe? Sorry, I don't believe one thing from this "chart".

Show me some data and context to the research methods used to interpret the data. For starters, show me a correlation between the degree and the job obtained, time it took to get the job, income, and other indirect variables.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:30 pm

Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:38 pm

Yet because you never had a proper well rounded education, you lack the capacity to understand what you are missing. If you can't appreciate art, you are in the lower ranks of the emotionally intelligent class that leads most organizations. I am sure you can find people who share your perspective online, but they are probably on the autistic spectrum too.

Fact keepers aren't leaders.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:47 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:38 pm
Yet because you never had a proper well rounded education, you lack the capacity to understand what you are missing. If you can't appreciate art, you are in the lower ranks of the emotionally intelligent class that leads most organizations. I am sure you can find people who share your perspective online, but they are probably on the autistic spectrum too.

That's some of the most offensive things you often say.

On what or who do you base your assessments? The same people who say all conservatives have some Psychological Syndrome? Somebody who claims to know me but doesn't?

I diagnose TC Talks with "Obnoxious Personality Disorder".

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:51 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:47 pm
TC Talks wrote:

On what or who do you base your assessments? The same people who say all conservatives have some Psychological Syndrome? Somebody who claims to know me but doesn't?

The instances of OCD and Autism on the right are almost assuredly high. The entire ideology is based on things not changing. People like that handle change exceptionally poorly.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:53 pm

You shouldn't be offended for being on the autism spectrum, many bright people are. But like you, they often miss the nuisance of how things work and see things only from their perspective without the ability to be empathetic to other view points. This typically hurts them in the ability to advance in career and with social issues. The resentment you have for higher education is a direct example.

I guess your fixation on impractical political beliefs would be another hint.
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:56 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:47 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Remember when you posted as TC Shuts Up?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:58 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:56 pm
Remember when you posted as TC Shuts Up?
That could be borderline personality disorder.

See how helpful my minor in psychology has been for me?
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:31 pm

This has become a proverbial contest between skunks.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic