Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Winter Storm 2024

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Mega Hertz

Re: Winter Storm 2024

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:22 pm

They just closed schools for tomorrow (did not close today).

Here's something you never hear:

"Hey, honey, can you stay home with the kids tomorrow? They just closed the schools. It's supposed to be 65 and sunny and it's just too dry and warm out there. It's dangerous"

#ProblemsWeDontHaveInMay

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:18 am

So basically, TCT, as usual, is full of shit. There were a number of school closings yesterday and some today due to single digit temperatures and wind chills between -10 and -25. That is a far cry from wind chills of -40.

Do I need to point out that just 10 years ago, we had 2 consecutive brutally cold winters with more than 40 nights of below-zero actual temperatures (ah, how quickly we forget) in many locations? I don't recall schools being closed for 2 months straight.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:37 am

It's difficult for me to vouch one way or the other because I grew up downstate. But I also went to Utica Community Schools and thay district almost never, ever closed. It took some serious shit for UCS to shut down. Van Dyke Public, too.

The only incident that stands out to me was in the 1993-94 school year when wind chills were down in the -30s. I remember especially because my uncle (who just moved from Cali) was staying with us and he was a postal carrier and I couldn't believe he had to go out in that.

The rumor was that "if the superintendent could get out of her driveway, we had school". My thought was "what does she drive, a humvee?"
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:49 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:37 am
It's difficult for me to vouch one way or the other because I grew up downstate. But I also went to Utica Community Schools and thay district almost never, ever closed. It took some serious shit for UCS to shut down. Van Dyke Public, too.

The only incident that stands out to me was in the 1993-94 school year when wind chills were down in the -30s. I remember especially because my uncle (who just moved from Cali) was staying with us and he was a postal carrier and I couldn't believe he had to go out in that.

The rumor was that "if the superintendent could get out of her driveway, we had school". My thought was "what does she drive, a humvee?"
I bet they are all afraid of being sued if something should happen to a kid.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:14 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:37 am

I remember that winter. We were out at our family friends' house in Howell during Christmas break. We had -48 wind chill readings. They dragged us to church that Sunday. It was beyond cold.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:22 am

It's about to get warm...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:25 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:18 am
So basically, TCT, as usual, is full of shit. There were a number of school closings yesterday and some today due to single digit temperatures and wind chills between -10 and -25. That is a far cry from wind chills of -40.
Schools in NW were open Tuesday. We really don't pay attention to Eastern Michigan.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:28 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:22 am

Ooooooooh shitchea! Add up the warm temps and the rain and this garbage will be gone in mere days!
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:07 am

What happened to the days when school wasn’t closed until we had 6 or better inches of snow. Today, if we have 2 inches of snowfall it is a snow day. When I went to school I walked a mile and a half to school of course I could have taken the bus but I chose to walk so I could have a few cigarettes on the way and froze my ass off so I could enjoy my Newports. Go Utica class of ‘73. Back in 1973 a pack of smokes came to 85 cents from the cigarette machine, any underaged kid could purchase a pack and no questions asked. Those were the days.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:28 am
TC Talks wrote:

Ooooooooh shitchea! Add up the warm temps and the rain and this garbage will be gone in mere days!
Ice and sleet excite you?
― Noam Chomsky

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:17 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:28 am
TC Talks wrote:

Ice and sleet excite you?
Not that part, but the 35+ degree temps sure do.
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic