Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmore Lake House Explosion

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
ChrisWL1980

Whitmore Lake House Explosion

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:47 am

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... -lake.html
I live probably 2 or 3 miles away (on the other side of 23 and of the lake), but the blast shook my house and scared us all shitless. Anyone else hear/feel it? I've heard it was felt as far away as Brooklyn, in Jackson County. Debris has been found on the other side of 23 as well.
Praying for the two injured and healing and comfort for the loved ones of the four deceased.

Mega Hertz

Re: Whitmore Lake House Explosion

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:15 am

How the hell did I miss this? This isn't far from me, either. Absolutely terrible. Those poor souls.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:51 am

Our friend's sister's family lives just up US 23 off the nearby Silver Lake Rd. Exit. Wonder if it was felt that far.

What could have caused an explosion that big? Will we ever know? The pictures look like bombing pictures from the Ukraine War.

Horrible.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:04 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:51 am
Our friend's sister's family lives just up US 23 off the nearby Silver Lake Rd. Exit. Wonder if it was felt that far.

What could have caused an explosion that big? Will we ever know? The pictures look like bombing pictures from the Ukraine War.

Horrible.
These things are usually related to Natural Gas… that will blow things up real good and real fast.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:18 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:04 am
Ben Zonia wrote:

Horrible.
These things are usually related to Natural Gas… that will blow things up real good and real fast.
There are other things, which I won't mention now due to the tragedy involved. But we want to know the actual cause eventually.

Usually, you will smell natural gas methyl mercaptan added odor, if you come in after being away for a while, and before it's too late. A few years ago, there was a court house I was in that had a very strong gas odorant smell. I brought it to the security staff's attention, but they tried to deny it, probably not wanting to evacuate the building. But that could have been a tragedy. It was the strongest gas odorant smell I ever encountered.

Since then, I call the gas company when I encounter it. A neighbor would have smelled it in this case. The gas company takes these things seriously, and is grateful for the report. Another was a workplace, where people were getting sick from the smell, from a gas furnace, but corporate didn't want to lose business by closing and sending people home until they fixed it. Never ignore a gas odorant smell. If corporate refuses to address it, just go home. I'd like to see them defend not addressing that in court.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:04 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:18 am
Rate This wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:

Horrible.
There are other things, which I won't mention now due to the tragedy involved. But we want to know the actual cause eventually.

Usually, you will smell natural gas methyl mercaptan added odor, if you come in after being away for a while, and before it's too late. A few years ago, there was a court house I was in that had a very strong gas odorant smell. I brought it to the security staff's attention, but they tried to deny it, probably not wanting to evacuate the building. But that could have been a tragedy. It was the strongest gas odorant smell I ever encountered.

Since then, I call the gas company when I encounter it. A neighbor would have smelled it in this case. The gas company takes these things seriously, and is grateful for the report. Another was a workplace, where people were getting sick from the smell, from a gas furnace, but corporate didn't want to lose business by closing and sending people home until they fixed it. Never ignore a gas odorant smell. If corporate refuses to address it, just go home. I'd like to see them defend not addressing that in court.
Great… ask a question, get a possible reason, have other reasons but keep them to yourself because… reasons.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:21 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:04 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:

Horrible.

Great… ask a question, get a possible reason, have other reasons but keep them to yourself because… reasons.
Because of the deaths involved and the tragedy it was, he most likely didn't want to speculate on the possibility of a meth lab explosion.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:26 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:21 pm
Rate This wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:

Horrible.

Because of the deaths involved and the tragedy it was, he most likely didn't want to speculate on the possibility of a meth lab explosion.
Around here, I would be shocked if it was such a thing. I know, I know, drugs are everywhere. But it's sort of an middle-to-upper class semi-rural area in these parts. I work on a lot of million to multi million dollar homes around here. I can't believe it would be a meth lab.
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:33 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:21 pm
Rate This wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:

Horrible.

It happened for a reason and that's a possible reason. Whether somebody died or not is immaterial to a discussion of why it happened.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:57 pm

I'm leaning towards this not being a gas leak. That sort of thing usually happens at night while everyone is asleep. At least six people in a house in the middle of the afternoon. I'm thinking one or more would of smelled it and alerted the others to exit stage left.

As far as the meth lab theory, I'm thinking maybe not. I googled images of meth lab explosions. None were nearly that extensive. The worst I seen was one side of a house missing.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:15 am
How the hell did I miss this? This isn't far from me, either. Absolutely terrible. Those poor souls.
You live in Brighton, IIRC. My mom's girlfriend works at the Brighton Costco and said she felt nothing. Maybe there was an "acoustic shadow" of sorts?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:15 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:15 am
You live in Brighton, IIRC. My mom's girlfriend works at the Brighton Costco and said she felt nothing. Maybe there was an "acoustic shadow" of sorts?
I was also down and out the entire day yesterday, so I would have missed it anyway...unless it was a major, earth shattering explosion felt county-wide.
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:18 pm

This type of thing doesn't happen in Northville. I can only think of one kind of explosion that happens there and it involves creatine, petroleum jelly, and a copy of the Bible.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:22 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:18 pm
This type of thing doesn't happen in Northville. I can only think of one kind of explosion that happens there and it involves creatine, petroleum jelly, and a copy of the Bible.
Babby
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:59 pm

Bill Ayers doesn't live in the area anymore.

He admitted what he did when he said, "Guilty As Hell, Free As A Bird".
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic