Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jann Wenner joins the cancel culture

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Jann Wenner joins the cancel culture

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:37 pm

Love or hate the guy, his leadership at both Rolling Stone and The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame made him very powerful. That is until he started speaking freely...
In the Times interview, conducted by David Marchese, Wenner, 77, explained why his new book, “The Masters” — a collection of his interviews over the years with rock stars like Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger and Springsteen, mostly from the pages of Rolling Stone — included no women or people of color as subjects. He said that none were “as articulate enough on this intellectual level,” and that he did not view them as “philosophers of rock.”

“You know, just for public relations’ sake,” he added, “maybe I should have gone and found one Black and one woman artist to include here that didn’t measure up to that same historical standard, just to avert this kind of criticism. Which, I get it. I had a chance to do that. Maybe I’m old-fashioned and I don’t give a [expletive] or whatever.”
That resulted in this at the RnR Hall of Fame:
At the board meeting, a few members expressed their dismay over Wenner’s comments. Wenner also spoke briefly, though his remarks failed to sway the assembled directors, who include some of music’s most powerful figures at major record labels, music publishers and in the touring world.

The entire meeting was over in about 20 minutes, and the hall then announced the decision with a brief statement. The vote to remove Wenner took effect immediately.
Maybe rock can move past his kind of taste.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Re: Jann Wenner joins the cancel culture

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:53 pm

Maybe he should have let Rush in sooner.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:37 am

Mr. Wenner is 77 years old. At that age, you can be honest and quit biting your tongue. Sounds like he's been in the industry longer than many of us have been alive.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:09 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:53 pm
Maybe he should have let Rush in sooner.
Excellent
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:26 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:37 am
Mr. Wenner is 77 years old. At that age, you can be honest and quit biting your tongue. Sounds like he's been in the industry longer than many of us have been alive.
Probably so… but the list of folks of color in true rock is somewhat short especially those who made a massive impact enough to be called “philosophers”… Hendrix? But he died awful fast… anybody got other votes?

Women are more plentiful obviously…

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:31 pm

I'm thinking most of the artists on Chess Records in the 50's. Rock didn't start with the classic rock Playlist.
― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:24 am

This showed up in a feed this morning. NPR's take on the topic. I'll just leave the link and forgo a 13 paragraph copy and paste:

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/23/12011211 ... -crumbling
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:24 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:24 am
This showed up in a feed this morning. NPR's take on the topic. I'll just leave the link and forgo a 13 paragraph copy and paste:

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/23/12011211 ... -crumbling
That could have been more concise, but the author is crazy if self congratulatory institutions will exist without power hungry narcissists like Jann in the future.

If it wasn't the only thing to see in Cleveland, I'd predict RN Hof's eventual failure.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic