Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Self Checkout Gone at Home Depot

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Self Checkout Gone at Home Depot

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:49 pm

Wrong!

Now they're calling it "Assisted Checkout."

They have someone assist the customer so they'll know how to do it their self the next time.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Re: Self Checkout Gone at Home Depot

Post by km1125 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:55 am

ACO for Assisted Checkout?

I was at the self checkout on Home Depot last week and buying 10 little "T" fittings and 10 little 90 degree fittings (plumbing). Rather than scan each one in I asked the associate if there was a way to enter the quantity before I scan. He quickly poked a couple buttons and scanned two items and it was done. I asked what he did so I'd know for next time, and he said "Oh, customers aren't allowed to do that!", We have a special code.

tc

Post by tc » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:49 am

km1125 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:55 am
ACO for Assisted Checkout?

I was at the self checkout on Home Depot last week and buying 10 little "T" fittings and 10 little 90 degree fittings (plumbing). Rather than scan each one in I asked the associate if there was a way to enter the quantity before I scan. He quickly poked a couple buttons and scanned two items and it was done. I asked what he did so I'd know for next time, and he said "Oh, customers aren't allowed to do that!", We have a special code.
Can’t say I blame them.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:59 am

Every time I shop there or Lowes, when I go to checkout, the employee waves me over and says "Let me check you out, it'll be faster." I must look old or like I'm a technophobe! :rollin
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:46 am

I was at McDonalds the other day. Took a grandson there. Not something I normally do. I had to order on a touch screen and pay with a credit card. I did take a numbered place card that I punched in to my order and they brought the food out to the table since we were eating there.
At no point in the process did I step up to the counter and talk to an employee. The only interaction was when they brought the food out to the table.
I no longer directly engage trolls

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:56 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:46 am
I was at McDonalds the other day. Took a grandson there. Not something I normally do. I had to order on a touch screen and pay with a credit card. I did take a numbered place card that I punched in to my order and they brought the food out to the table since we were eating there.
At no point in the process did I step up to the counter and talk to an employee. The only interaction was when they brought the food out to the table.
As an introvert, I love the self-service kiosks at places. The fewer random people I have to talk to, the better! :8)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:03 am

teetoppz28 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:56 am

As an introvert, I love the self-service kiosks at places. The fewer random people I have to talk to, the better! :8)
And I've yet to run in to a touch screen with a bad attitude. :blink
I no longer directly engage trolls

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:38 am

teetoppz28 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:59 am
Every time I shop there or Lowes, when I go to checkout, the employee waves me over and says "Let me check you out, it'll be faster." I must look old or like I'm a technophobe! :rollin
The Canadian retail landscape is littered with the carcasses of US retailers who failed to make the grade in Canada. Lowes is the latest casualty. They sold off their Canadian business earlier this year and the new owners are now rebranding all the stores as Rona.

Probably the most spectacular failure was Target. They lasted only a few months. Big Lots was another failure.

Right now, Best Buy and Dollar Tree are both struggling.

The two success stories were Walmart and Home Depot. Their pockets were deep enough to absorb losses for a few years until they got the Canadian market figured out.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:03 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:38 am
teetoppz28 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:59 am
The Canadian retail landscape is littered with the carcasses of US retailers who failed to make the grade in Canada. Lowes is the latest casualty. They sold off their Canadian business earlier this year and the new owners are now rebranding all the stores as Rona.

Probably the most spectacular failure was Target. They lasted only a few months. Big Lots was another failure.

Right now, Best Buy and Dollar Tree are both struggling.

The two success stories were Walmart and Home Depot. Their pockets were deep enough to absorb losses for a few years until they got the Canadian market figured out.
I prefer Menards over Lowes and Home Depot. I'm always let down when I can't shop at Menards, as they are generally only in the northern states.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:26 am

I've always tried to support my local hardware store, often an independent, or perhaps an Ace franchise. They usually have employees that can give assistance if needed (often needed in my case), and pricing is comparable.
The censorship king from out of state.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:35 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:26 am
, and pricing is comparable.
Often you're money ahead at the small independent if you account for time saved in parking, getting help finding something you need and quick checkout.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:03 pm

Honeyman wrote:
I've always tried to support my local hardware store, often an independent, or perhaps an Ace franchise. They usually have employees that can give assistance if needed (often needed in my case), and pricing is comparable.
I love Ace Hardware. When we're in Florida that's my go to store for any jobs involving hardware. There's always someone who can give advice on how to do the job.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:57 pm

Ace would be the only hardware store around my area that would be considered "local." I don't mind using them, but they don't tend to keep a lot of items in stock. It's always "we can order it and it'll be here in 7-10 days" so I end up driving to Menards any way.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:03 pm
Honeyman wrote:
I love Ace Hardware. When we're in Florida that's my go to store for any jobs involving hardware. There's always someone who can give advice on how to do the job.
That is the one advantage Ace has. I'd NEVER EVER ask someone at Home Depot, etc. how to do something! But the Ace employees generally know what they're talking about.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:06 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:03 pm
Honeyman wrote:
That is the one advantage Ace has. I'd NEVER EVER ask someone at Home Depot, etc. how to do something! But the Ace employees generally know what they're talking about.
And, at the store I go to in Florida a yellow Lab dog guards the front door and won't allow anyone to enter until they stop and pet her.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic