Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fuck DTE

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: DTE

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:55 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:39 pm
Underground power lines have a useful life of about 30 years. After that, DTE, and probably many other power companies, go through several prolonged power failures in an area before they get authorization, planning, and money to fix it.

Actually, cable companies act even worse, since they are less essential. I told Comcast for years that they had a break in the center conductor of the underground cable before the drop line, which acts like a capacitor, and passed VHF High and UHF band, and blocked the 54-88 VHF Low Band. They tried to avoid fixing it with more amplification, but Channels 2-6 were still abysmal. After several years, they finally dug it up on both ends and snaked a new cable through.

Even worse is when the power companies leave an open hole and a big rainstorm comes up and floods the hole. That often results in another failure.
You don’t even need a flood. Underground boxes are struck during an accident or other vandals damage the boxes.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

tapeisrolling

Re: Fuck DTE

Post by tapeisrolling » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:37 pm

I think a good indication that DTE never seems to fix the problem... I have lived in my house for over 40 years. The first 25 years we lost power when the wind blew. 4-10 hours later we were back up. Then a tree trimming crew spent months going down the length of the street wacking and hacking the trees that probable never seen any trimming since the subdivision was built in the 60's. Since then it takes a storm of some kind to cut the power, BUT when it does it is always for 3-4 days.
The best part is in that 40+ years with our power dropping on a whim, across the street has ONLY gone out 3 times. We all keep out super extension cords at the ready and I even have my neighbors garage code in case he's not home so I can plug in to save my freezer and fridg.
Just last Tues. I got a bid on a Generac.... It's looking worthwhile after the latest 4 day sweat lodge.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Fuck DTE

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:54 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:37 pm
I think a good indication that DTE never seems to fix the problem... I have lived in my house for over 40 years. The first 25 years we lost power when the wind blew. 4-10 hours later we were back up. Then a tree trimming crew spent months going down the length of the street wacking and hacking the trees that probable never seen any trimming since the subdivision was built in the 60's. Since then it takes a storm of some kind to cut the power, BUT when it does it is always for 3-4 days.
The best part is in that 40+ years with our power dropping on a whim, across the street has ONLY gone out 3 times. We all keep out super extension cords at the ready and I even have my neighbors garage code in case he's not home so I can plug in to save my freezer and fridg.
Just last Tues. I got a bid on a Generac.... It's looking worthwhile after the latest 4 day sweat lodge.
A lot of that is due to the sheer numbers of outages and greater intensity of the outages from intense weather. The other factor is that urban sprawl has overstressed circuits heavily.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic