Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Auto Insurance

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Taco

Auto Insurance

Post by Taco » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:19 am

Who do you have and do you pay your premium monthly or every 6 months?

I have Progressive and I've been paying every 6 months. There is a $5 fee added with monthly payments. I like the paid in full discount and the fact that once paid I don't have to worry about it for another 6 months. However paying monthly you won't have to pay so much at once but you end up paying more over the term.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

zzand

Re: Auto Insurance

Post by zzand » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:36 am

I have been with State Farm for more than 30 years. Pay monthly, auto debit, and get a discount because of it. Also discount for other policies with them plus I have their safe driver program going and it took almost 300 bucks off my last 6 months.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:32 am

Premiums vary widely by state and by insurer.

In SE Michigan, with a clean driving record and clean credit history, I've found Progressive to far & away have the best rates. I've had them now for about three years, and they've been reasonable on premiums for each six month billing cycle. My policy includes unlimited medical.

Allstate is the only company who comes close on price in this neck of the woods, but I've read bad things about their handling of claims (much more so on the homeowners policy side of things, which is why their premiums are often cheaper than the competition).

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:32 am
Premiums vary widely by state and by insurer.

In SE Michigan, with a clean driving record and clean credit history, I've found Progressive to far & away have the best rates. I've had them now for about three years, and they've been reasonable on premiums for each six month billing cycle. My policy includes unlimited medical.

Allstate is the only company who comes close on price in this neck of the woods, but I've read bad things about their handling of claims (much more so on the homeowners policy side of things, which is why their premiums are often cheaper than the competition).
It may of course depend on which county you are in… I’ve never been able to find anybody who can beat Geico… so I’ve been with them for a long time. I had some real fits and starts with them on the PIP waiver. As an aside it sucks you have to do that at every renewal. I do 6 months and auto-debit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 am

Very true. Outside of the tri-county Metro Detroit area, I strongly suspect pricing is very different among the various companies.

I have indeed read that GEICO is often best or nearly best on price in many areas. I did obtain an auto quote from them on a couple of occasions, and they were at least a couple hundred dollars per six month term more expensive than Progressive.

In parts of the Grand Rapids area, AAA Michigan is very competitive on auto insurance rates. Around here, though, they are mid pack at best if you want unlimited medical as part of your auto policy.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
I have Allstate for a homeowner and 2 vehicle bundle. They handle my auto claims well, but I went through absolute hell when I had a covered loss on my home. In 2018, I had a ruptured pipe under the floor of my finished basement, for which the water damaged my basement, It took 8 months to resolve, and they fought with me and my contractors for every step of the way. Overall, the work should have only taken about 3 weeks. This was not a flood, and this is covered under my policy, but they still fought with me, and even wanted to avoid paying out by wanting to force me to use a water jet due to an incorrect diagnosis by their team, which would have done more damage and created a sink hole.

Since Allstate was so cheap and argumentative, and demanded only a short segment of pipe to be replaced to reduce the cost, I now have another damaged section of pipe further down the line, and I'm going to have to go through it all over again. Foolish.

It was hell.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:00 am

I used to have AAA then went with Progressive for a few years and now back to AAA.
I have come to the conclusion if you aren't shopping car insurance every couple years your current provider is probably overcharging you.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:01 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
I have Allstate for a homeowner and 2 vehicle bundle. They handle my auto claims well, but I went through absolute hell when I had a covered loss on my home. In 2018, I had a ruptured pipe under the floor of my finished basement, for which the water damaged my basement, It took 8 months to resolve, and they fought with me and my contractors for every step of the way. Overall, the work should have only taken about 3 weeks. This was not a flood, and this is covered under my policy, but they still fought with me, and even wanted to avoid paying out by wanting to force me to use a water jet due to an incorrect diagnosis by their team, which would have done more damage and created a sink hole.

Since Allstate was so cheap and argumentative, and demanded only a short segment of pipe to be replaced to reduce the cost, I now have another damaged section of pipe further down the line, and I'm going to have to go through it all over again. Foolish.

It was hell.
God I’m glad I got a house on a slab… that is terrible on their part.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:45 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:

It was hell.
My understanding is generally the plumbing is not covered under insurance. What is covered is the damage resulting from the plumbing failure.
If you have a pipe burst they are under no obligation to replace all the pipes in your house.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:14 am

We have our home and vehicle insured with TD. I never thought I'd ever have anything positive to say about an Insurance Company, but we've had two claims in the past two years and they handled both of them quickly without trying to weasel out of them.

Two years ago a large tree blew down on our property. It didn't hit the house but it wrecked the fence. They had the tree removed and the fence repaired within days.

This year on the way to Florida, driving through Atlanta, A large piece of metal broke loose from the vehicle ahead of me and I ran over it. It did some damage to the underside of the car causing the "Check Engine" light to come on. When I got to FL I took it to a GM dealer. Turned out to be some component for the emissions system, The repair ended up costing around $900. US.
The insurance quicly paid me the equivalent amount in C$ minus the deductable, which ended up being about $900 Canadian.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:46 am

Is Michigan still no fault? I know once I moved to a state without it my insurance went way down.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:02 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:45 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:

It was hell.
My understanding is generally the plumbing is not covered under insurance. What is covered is the damage resulting from the plumbing failure.
If you have a pipe burst they are under no obligation to replace all the pipes in your house.
That's correct. I paid for the pipe repair and replacement. But the surrounding damage IS covered by the policy, including the floor, soil replacement, walls, and anything else damaged by this.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

It was hell.
So would you say they did NOT protect you from mayhem?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:27 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

It was hell.
So would you say they did NOT protect you from mayhem?
They added more mayhem than I was already dealing with.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:55 pm

Yup, Michigan remains a no-fault state. However, Unlimited PIP is no longer mandatory, and medical providers are now subject to rate caps.

These changes allowed the catastrophic claims fund to accumulate a big surplus in 2021, resulting in refund checks in the amount of $400 for each insured vehicle in 2022.

A little too much was refunded, though, so I think the statutory MCCA assessment was increased by $48 this year.

Average MI premiums fell by more than 18% from 2109 to 2022 whereas the average U.S. premium rose by 15.4% during the same timeframe.

https://www-propertycasualty360-com.cdn ... -market%2F

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic