Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best fast food French fries?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Best fast food French fries?

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:59 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 pm
NO ONE, will ever beat McDonalds when they used to fry in beef fat.
They actually used vegetable oil with trans fat. And yes, it was marvelous. I worked there in 2000 in high school right before they switched to whatever the fuck they use now.

The only fry I get excited over now is Checker's but it is expensive as hell. Happened to also get my credit card ripped off when I paid there a couple years ago.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:06 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:16 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 am

How the hell did BK rank #2 on this list but In-and-Out rank only #10?!!! WTF?

Also, many noteworthy chains weren't even mentioned, such as Carl's Jr. / Hardees, Rally's / Checker's, A&W, Sonic, Culver's, and the absolutely phenomenal Whataburger.
I don't have the answer, but BK really does try to please. The 'have it your way' is pretty well embraced, and it's why, when I eat fast food, I look for one. Rings instead of fries? Piled with pickles? An app that damn near gives food away? They have me covered.

The others you mentioned are also good...but CJ's / Hardees as well as Whataburger are very regional, A&W seems to just be hanging on, and Culvers is not so much the traditional fast food model.

Remember Wuv's? Loved those burgers.
I don't remember them.

Certainly have to say that Whataburger is my favorite fast burger, and Tony Roma's is my favorite national restaurant burger. Hard to find Tony Roma's any more though.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:15 pm

I just pinched a few McD fries from the daughter, they were terrible.

I rarely eat fast food fries anymore, none are can't miss.

Best diner fries were from Big Bear Diner in CA.

Best fires I have now are Meijer Brand Crinkle cut out of my Air Fryer.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:18 pm

The Zaxby's in Florida gets terrible reviews on Google so I've been hesitant to go there.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm

I think I prefer Culver's the most these days. The crinkle cuts are a nice deviation from the norm. White Castle's would be good, too, but I don’t think I've ever gotten warm fries from them in 38 years of living.

I used to make it a point to go out of my way to Wendy's after class in high school solely for their fries, so 2001-2003. Not a big fan anymore.

Burger King? Take 'em or leave 'em. McDonald's are evergreen.

Worst? Arby's crinkle fries. Not a fan. But the curly fries dipped in cheddar sauce? Hell yeah!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

SD45

Post by SD45 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:12 pm

Burger King is closing 26 locations in Metro Detroit in April.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:53 pm

My father ate at Del Taco when they were in town for a few years. He didn't understand why people would want fries with tacos. My school district would sometime serve fries with pizza for lunches.

Zaxby's is pretty good, went there when I visited Charlotte a few years ago.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:55 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:21 am
There's a chain in Canada called Harvey's. Their fries are the very best. Theiir burgers too.

Trouble is, my wife doesn't agree with me. So we usually end up at McD.
I got food poisoning when we went to Harvey's and so did my brother. We were on vacation at Wheels Inn, and it sucked. They are on my bad list.
Went to Wheels Inn several times. It was a different kind of hotel with the rides and other amusement park attractions. It's a shame they closed.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pm

A bunch of BK locations in SE Michigan are closing their doors, including one I visit a few times a year in Woodward north of 13 Mile Rd:

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 052350007/

The crappier one on Southfield Rd just south of 13 Mile is also closing.

Looks like the one near downtown Berkley on 12 Mile Rd will remain open.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pm
A bunch of BK locations in SE Michigan are closing their doors, including one I visit a few times a year in Woodward north of 13 Mile Rd:

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 052350007/

The crappier one on Southfield Rd just south of 13 Mile is also closing.

Looks like the one near downtown Berkley on 12 Mile Rd will remain open.
It’s only the ones owned by that specific franchisee that are closing. They couldn’t reach a contract agreement.

It doesn’t appear their performance was directly involved to me.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:22 pm

Hopefully they don't stay vacant for long. The old Burger King on 14 Mile in Clawson was finally demolished after being empty for a decade.

Alot of the locations closing are in older buildings and were likely not profitable enough to justify remodeling.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:49 pm

SD45 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:22 pm
... Alot of the locations closing are in older buildings and were likely not profitable enough to justify remodeling.
The one in Ecorse ,(which is closing) was a new building. Unfortunately the service was so slow. I kid you not. Everyone working there moving like turtles in a pool of molasses. No hurry and don't care.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:10 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:49 pm
SD45 wrote:
... Alot of the locations closing are in older buildings and were likely not profitable enough to justify remodeling.
The one in Ecorse ,(which is closing) was a new building. Unfortunately the service was so slow. I kid you not. Everyone working there moving like turtles in a pool of molasses. No hurry and don't care.
I forgot about the Ecorse location. I generally keep on driving down Jefferson to Wyandotte. The old BK was closed and boarded up about 10 years ago. I went back and looked on Google Maps.

The Burger King on Woodward in Royal Oak is fairly new as well. Also had an older BK on Woodward across from the Zoo, Its where the self-storage place is now.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 pm

Round Six wrote:
SD45 wrote:
BK's been like that in metro Toledo forever, even before Covid fucked with the fast food industry. Agonizingly slow, rude employees. Franchisee doesn't care enough to pay for better ones.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 am

SD45 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:10 pm
Round Six wrote:
SD45 wrote:
I forgot about the Ecorse location. I generally keep on driving down Jefferson to Wyandotte. The old BK was closed and boarded up about 10 years ago. I went back and looked on Google Maps.

The Burger King on Woodward in Royal Oak is fairly new as well. Also had an older BK on Woodward across from the Zoo, Its where the self-storage place is now.
Yes. I walked there when I worked at Dickson’s. It was a homeless hangout which I am sure is part of why it closed. Hi Tops is also gone.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic