Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Steve Lehto's discussion on pirate radio

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Steve Lehto's discussion on pirate radio

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:39 pm

Here's an interesting discussion on exposure to fines for pirate radio. It sounds like Oregon enforcement is more severe than other places...

Has anyone heard of this guy in terms of working in Detroit? He has a KFAT bumper sticker, which is cool...

Based on his last name, I might be related to this dude...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

tc

Re: Steve Lehto's discussion on pirate radio

Post by tc » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:02 pm

Interesting clip. I remember during lockdown some churches bought low-power transmitters to broadcast out to cars in their parking lots. Some drive-in theaters (that are still around) use the same concept, as well as those over-the-top Christmas decorated houses where the lights go to music. I have a small transmitter (15 watts) that broadcasts at about a 5 mile radius. The only time I really use it is when we have a party so I can have the same music blasting in every room of the house (I'm careful not to step on any legit frequencies, just saying). BTW, you can get a 2k watt transmitter from Amazon for about $4,000.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:15 pm

Arrr Matey! Thars a pirate database now......
Shiver me timbers!

https://www.fcc.gov/pirate-database
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:01 pm

According to this, if I set up a solar powered station on state land and beam in content, the state is on the hook for the fines?

Sweet...
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:30 pm

You be you brother. I don't mess with Uncle Charlie.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:50 pm

Lehto is a Finnish surname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehto

I think he's from the Upper Peninsula.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:14 pm

A few months ago, someone said on this board said he was going to buy a 2000 watt transmitter and was going to operate it from somewhere in rural Michigan to SERVE HIS YARD. Many people warned him that he would get busted, but others said that the FCC didn't enforce it recently. If an FM transmitter gets out more than about 30 feet, it is probably illegal, under Part 15. And running even 0.1 watts from a rooftop antenna would serve a much larger area than your yard. Some of us warned that even 0.1 watt could cause an enforcement, though not nearly as quickly as 2000 watts. Years ago, radio activist and author Tom Kneitel had FM transmitter circuits in books and radio hobbyist magazines that could be assembled for a few dollars, but that were technically illegal. In the 1960s, nobody cared much about FM, and there were plenty of open frequencies outside of large cities.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:19 pm

There is currently one enforcement action in Michigan and it's close to a field office. One. Think there's only one pirate station?

And if you live in a large private community, the FCC needs a warrant to enter. You think they care THAT much?
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:44 pm

-Author Unknown

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:16 pm

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Enjoy the database, good luck.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:17 pm

Hey TC, don't stand too close to that gate, Homeland Security now backs the FCC. It's a whole new world.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:06 am

Steve Lehto also worked at WLEW, WTRX, WFDF, WWCK, and WKNX. From his talk about pirate stations, he mentions working at all four of the early AOR stations in Detroit, you would have thought he started in Detroit. The reality is, most radio people worked at many of those stations and similar ones before hitting Detroit. They're like the "mail room" of broadcasting.

https://books.google.com/books?id=cdOYT ... rx&f=false

-Author Unknown

tc

Post by tc » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:27 am

HD74 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:17 pm
Hey TC, don't stand too close to that gate, Homeland Security now backs the FCC. It's a whole new world.
:lol I power it up about once a year, last time made the mistake of having the antenna in my studio instead of up on a pole on the back deck (not sure wtf I was thinking). End of the night my powered near-field monitor/speakers in my studio didn't work. Eventually I figured out how to reset them so they're ok but what a dumbass.

(edited to make sense)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:16 am

HD74 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:17 pm
Since January of 2020, the FCC has filed 38 actions, 18 in New York, 6 in Oregon.

Cite any evidence or quit blowing smoke. Pirate stations are not a h-uge priority.
― Noam Chomsky

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm

You be you brother. I don't mess with Uncle Charlie.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic