Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Changing your downtown

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Changing your downtown

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 pm

Here in Traverse City, we are getting rid of parking spaces. Every time we do, retail sales grow on the street. People can't browse when they are driving 45 miles an hour through a retail corridor.

This week, they are removing an alley and metered parking to build this. The area will thrive as a result. How could reducing cars in your downtown help your small businesses?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Changing your downtown

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 pm
Here in Traverse City, we are getting rid of parking spaces. Every time we do, retail sales grow on the street. People can't browse when they are driving 45 miles an hour through a retail corridor.

This week, they are removing an alley and metered parking to build this. The area will thrive as a result. How could reducing cars in your downtown help your small businesses?

It only works in certain areas… TC… Ann Arbor… you can’t easily deploy something like this in BFEtown USA I don’t think. Northville has done some things to close their streets off and I wouldn’t be shocked if Royal Oak did some day. But you need upscale and liberal to do this.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 pm

It only works in certain areas… TC… Ann Arbor… you can’t easily deploy something like this in BFEtown USA I don’t think. Northville has done some things to close their streets off and I wouldn’t be shocked if Royal Oak did some day. But you need upscale and liberal to do this.
I don't know about that. You should check out Alma, Hart or Manistee. Neither are upscale or liberal.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:58 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 pm
I think it can work in just about any town. As long as the civic leaders are not afraid to fire up a bulldozer.

Is it fair to say that BFE has more than its share of vacant storefronts and empty buildings downtown or a block away? Phooey on "saving" the old post office or first fire house if the buildings are sitting empty. Tear 'me down and make off street parking lots. Just like in the bottom right picture in TC's post.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:40 pm

That is an existing parking lot from the 1950's

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic