Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Bar Made Me Do It

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

The Bar Made Me Do It

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:34 pm

Woman sues bar — after getting so drunk she blew up $10M home
She was so bombed she blew up a house.

A Canadian woman who caused $10 million in damages after driving drunk, crashing into a house and causing an explosion is now suing the concert venue that provided her alcoholic beverages — as she claims the owners are to blame.

The “car bomb” fiasco occurred in August 2019 while Daniella Leis, 26, was driving home from a Marilyn Manson concert at the Budweiser Gardens arena in London, Ontario, the CBC reported.

After drinking at the show and getting behind the wheel, Leis crashed her Ford Fusion — registered to her father — into a brick home at 450 Woodman Ave., rupturing a gas line and triggering a massive explosion that destroyed four houses and injured seven people.

Falling embers led to blazes in several homes nearby — and the entire neighborhood had to be evacuated, with gas and water service shut off in the area. All told, the blast reportedly caused damages in the neighborhood of $9.8 million to $14.7 million.

“The financial impact of Ms. Leis’ actions have been enormous, with a total damage estimate approaching $15 million,” Judge George Orsini told the court.

Meanwhile, victims included two police officers and two firefighters who suffered numerous injuries, with one firefighter forced to spend more than a week in a hospital before being discharged.

Leis subsequently pled guilty to four counts of impaired driving, and was was slapped with a three-year prison sentence in 2021.

However, the Canuck wasn’t about to throw away her shot at easing the financial strain.

This month, she and father Shawn Leis filed a lawsuit against Ovations Ontario Food Services, the company that distributed the hooch. They claim that the libations purveyor shares liability for the blast on the grounds that staffers “ejected Leis from the venue while failing to take steps to ensure she would not drive home,” according to the legal documents.

In addition, Leis also alleged that Ovations had served her alcohol while aware that the bargoer was intoxicated, accusing them of putting “profit above safety,” and that the resulting damage was “caused or contributed to by the negligence, breach of duty, breach of contract” by the bar.

As reparations, they believe that the booze distributor is responsible for “any awards or judgment amounts” resulting from multiple court claims levied against them by Woodman Avenue victims.

That is, if the father-daughter duo is required to pay any amount, then they are “entitled to contribution and indemnity from [Ovations].”

https://nypost.com/2023/01/17/women-sue ... -10m-home/
London ON is 1093 miles from Niceville

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: The Bar Made Me Do It

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:26 am

These cases have been won in the US. Typically a victim will sue the bar.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 am

I'm against the drivers getting any money, however those folks that lost their homes probably should if their insurance didn't cover it.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:21 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:26 am
These cases have been won in the US. Typically a victim will sue the bar.
While I could see continuing to serve someone who is inebriated being a possible cause for litigation, this story is different. Because the vendor cut her off, I don't believe she could win using the premise they served her until she was intoxicated.

The second part is interesting.
She's saying they should of make sure she didn't drive drunk.

Would a bar be liable if someone's car was parked on bar property? (not applicable in this case).
What if it was not parked on bar property? (as in this case).
What if a patron decided to walk and got hurt halfway home?
Awarding money in any of these cases could sure set precedence.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:25 pm

It will be an interesting one to follow.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:26 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 am
I'm against the drivers getting any money, however those folks that lost their homes probably should if their insurance didn't cover it.
I am sure the homeowner insurance companies are going after her insurer.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm

I know that area of town. It's not far from our home. The woman was driving at high speed, in the wrong direction, on a narrow, one way street.

The street ends at a T intersection. She didn't stop at the intersection but drove right across into the house, just where the gas line entered.

She really ought to sue the home owner for having their house right there. And what about the Gas Company? Aren't they partly to blame?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:31 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm
I know that area of town. It's not far from our home. The woman was driving at high speed, in the wrong direction, on a narrow, one way street.

The street ends at a T intersection. She didn't stop at the intersection but drove right across into the house, just where the gas line entered.

She really ought to sue the home owner for having their house right there. And what about the Gas Company? Aren't they partly to blame?
If they had converted everything to solar this would never have happened!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:44 pm

I don't know where they came up with that $10M value for the home. I don't think there's a home in all of London worth that kind of money.

In the working class neighbourhood where she did that, the entire street wouldn't add up to $10M

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:44 pm

I don't know where they came up with that $10M value for the home. I don't think there's a home in all of London worth that kind of money.

In the working class neighbourhood where she did that, the entire street wouldn't add up to $10M
I can get you to $7 or $8 Mil… but I don’t see any 10’s looking online…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm

Attention Drivers: If you've ever been in an accident while driving drunk, someone owes you money.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm
Attention Drivers: If you've ever been in an accident while driving drunk, someone owes you money.
Sounds like one of those 3am lawyer commercials…

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:14 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

USD or CAD?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:14 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

USD or CAD?
Gotta be CAD. It was a Canadian site.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:56 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:14 pm

USD or CAD?
Gotta be CAD. It was a Canadian site.
But story was from the NY Post. They may have screwed up the conversion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic