Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ponderings of an Idle Mind

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Circle Seven

Ponderings of an Idle Mind

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:09 am

Not quite sure where to put this. My mind wanders from time to time.

I got to watching one of the awards ceremonies the other night. In attendance was a late night host and his wife.
This particular host had a set of grown children when he met his current wife. He now has a set of young kids with her.
Looking at him, and looking at her, it would honestly not surprise me if she does a "Linda McCartney" on him down the road.

Like the other late night hosts, this one is fond of making fun of everyone and their families. Including family members that are not in the media spotlight. Nothing and no one is off limits.

The thought crossed me mind, what if the people late night hosts make fun were to start making fun of the late night hosts?
Could a late night host cry foul? Pot calling the kettle black?
Or would it be fair game? Tit for Tat.

Like I said, just a random thought wandering around my cranium.
Last edited by Circle Seven on Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turkeytop

Re: Ponderings of an Idle Mind

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:16 am

Only an idle mind would bother to even watch an awards show.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:40 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:16 am
Only an idle mind would bother to even watch an awards show.
Wise words

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:38 pm

Those things are lame and a waste of time. A bunch of pre-Madonna's, trying to act all important and using the time to get on there lame soap boxes( I could care less what side). Pitiful.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:35 am

Another ponder.
After I bake and turn the oven off, I prop the oven door open in the belief it will heat the house up and keep the furnace off some. A friend (yes I have a friend) said it don't matter. Me propping the door open dissipates the heat quicker. Leaving the door closed dissipates it more slowly. My friend says either way won't make a difference as to how much the furnace is on.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:30 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:35 am
Another ponder.
After I bake and turn the oven off, I prop the oven door open in the belief it will heat the house up and keep the furnace off some. A friend (yes I have a friend) said it don't matter. Me propping the door open dissipates the heat quicker. Leaving the door closed dissipates it more slowly. My friend says either way won't make a difference as to how much the furnace is on.
There probably isn’t enough heat in the oven to affect the furnace in any meaningful way.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:59 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:30 am
Circle Seven wrote:
Another ponder.
There probably isn’t enough heat in the oven to affect the furnace in any meaningful way.
On the other hand, if your oven has a cooling fan, keeping the door slightly open accelerates the cooling to a very noticeable degree thus allowing the fan to shut off much sooner. Granted, the oven light stays on when the door is open. I suppose this applies mostly to electric ovens, but I'm not sure.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:30 am

Wouldn't that raise the temp on the thermostat thus making the house colder?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:55 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:30 am
Wouldn't that raise the temp on the thermostat thus making the house colder?
Don't seem to raise the temp of the thermostat when I do this. It does seem to delay the thermostat dropping but not for too long.
I don't keep the door on the oven open more than 5 minutes or so, if that.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:00 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:38 pm
Those things are lame and a waste of time. A bunch of pre-Madonna's, trying to act all important and using the time to get on there lame soap boxes( I could care less what side). Pitiful.
What is a "pre-Madonna"?

A Barbara Streisand?

Circle Seven wrote:
Another ponder.
And he's right. The open or closed door difference doesn't impact the amount heat warming the house from the oven, just the speed of that happening. If you're sitting in the vicinity though, the radiant heat will make you FEEL warmer even if the room temperature stays exactly the same. If the door is closed you block off most of those radiant rays.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Whenever our oven is on it seems to keep the furnace off. The rest of the house is cold. If the oven is going we turn on the fireplace in the livingroom, which probably aggravates the problem.

When we're done with the oven, I like to open it up and dissipate the heat quickly. It returns the house to a state of equilibrium.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:17 pm

In my house anyways, running the oven for any length of time warms up the upstairs considerably and the furnace runs quite a bit less for the next few hours.

As to whether it is more efficient to open or close the oven door after you're done cooking, the answer is leaving it closed, although we're not talking a big difference here. The warmer your house is, the faster it loses heat to the outdoors due to the larger temperature differential between indoors and outdoors. You'll have the same amount of total heat energy whether you open the oven door or close it, but opening it would warm the room up to a higher temperature, and thus, the heat would escape your house faster. Now, if your oven is not on the top floor, then because heat rises, the difference would be moot.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:25 pm

What is a "pre-Madonna"?

A Barbara Streisand?

Someone who is a drama queen and self important. They feel they are in the enlightened ones, thus everyone should listen to them or to put it another way, attention whores.

At least that's how I've always used the term.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:43 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:25 pm
What is a "pre-Madonna"?

A Barbara Streisand?
Someone who is a drama queen and self important. They feel they are in the enlightened ones, thus everyone should listen to them or to put it another way, attention whores.

That sounds like a prima donna.

Although, both Madonna and Streisand fit your description too!!

:lol:

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:47 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:43 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:25 pm
What is a "pre-Madonna"?

A Barbara Streisand?

That sounds like a prima donna.

Although, both Madonna and Streisand fit your description too!!

:lol:
Fair enough :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic