Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

PNC Bank

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 15835

PNC Bank

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:23 pm

So I've been banking with PNC for years, have most of my stuff with them. Checking, Savings, a credit card etc.... . When I started with them they were still National City Bank, back in the 2000s.

I got a letter in the mail saying that they are discontinuing the ATM reimbursement program, meaning if you take money out of a another banks ATM, currently PNC will refund you the surcharge from taking out of, say Chase's or Key Banks ATM.

Another thing I came across was, I went to one of there branch's, that I usually don't go to. I went in and was informed that this particular branch no longer had tellers and if I wanted to make a deposit, I'd need to use an ATM or go to a different location. I used the ATM and went on my way.

My guess is, they will likely close this branch will close soon, I have noticed a couple different banks have closed locations. Likely due to online banking and slow traffic within the branch's.

This got me thinking and I could be way off here, I do wonder if PNC is about to be bought out by someone? Could be wrong but I just got a feeling maybe they are.

km1125

Re: PNC Bank

Post by km1125 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:07 pm

I have noticed that they have moved branches around. There were a couple that I felt were really convenient, but they closed them and then opened up another branch in a different location, not as convenient to me but perhaps in a better location for them (or other customers).

One VERY ANNOYING thing they do is call late in the business day on a FRIDAY and say "it's concerning your account". Usually goes to VM. The first time this happened I was travelling and thought something might have happened to compromise my account so I wanted to get ahold of them quickly and find out what was going on. Turns out it was just a marketing call to get me to sign up for some investment services. Very annoying.

Another thing that annoys me about them is when I've gotten a couple calls from them and they basically start out "We were going through your checking account and see you're making payments to some other credit card companies. Do you know WE offer a credit card and can move your balances over to OUR card?". WTF are they doing going though their customers checking accounts and looking at where folks are spending THEIR OWN money??

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:48 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:07 pm
I have noticed that they have moved branches around. There were a couple that I felt were really convenient, but they closed them and then opened up another branch in a different location, not as convenient to me but perhaps in a better location for them (or other customers).

One VERY ANNOYING thing they do is call late in the business day on a FRIDAY and say "it's concerning your account". Usually goes to VM. The first time this happened I was travelling and thought something might have happened to compromise my account so I wanted to get ahold of them quickly and find out what was going on. Turns out it was just a marketing call to get me to sign up for some investment services. Very annoying.

Another thing that annoys me about them is when I've gotten a couple calls from them and they basically start out "We were going through your checking account and see you're making payments to some other credit card companies. Do you know WE offer a credit card and can move your balances over to OUR card?". WTF are they doing going though their customers checking accounts and looking at where folks are spending THEIR OWN money??
While that money is in their bank it’s theirs.. it would be hard to argue you have any privacy or anything.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:47 pm

In Canada I deal with RBC for all of my US funds. RBC doesn't have branches in the US but has an agreement with PNC. All RBC clients can use PNC ATMs free of charge. So PNC is my bricks and mortar bank while I'm in Florida.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:52 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:07 pm

Whoa! Yeah I got the same call and the first thing I thought of was " I got hacked into". Same thing, >: . I mean seriously, don't scare me like that! >:

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:51 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:23 pm
This got me thinking and I could be way off here, I do wonder if PNC is about to be bought out by someone? Could be wrong but I just got a feeling maybe they are.
I seriously doubt PNC Bank will be bought out anytime soon or in the future as they are one of the largest regional banks in the country (and the 22nd largest bank in the world!) with a market capitalization exceeding $65 billion; any buyout would invite SERIOUS regulatory scrutiny. However, that won't preclude them from closing geographically redundant branches as a cost-saving measure.

I also used to bank with City National when it was independent, I could walk to the local branch. PNC bought them out and a few years subsequent closed my branch. The building has remained vacant for several years now.

I moved my checking, savings, and safe deposit box to the Huntington Bank branch not far away -- FWIW, free no-frills no-minimum-balance checking was a big draw. They've since bought out TCF Bank and closed my branch, but outside of the safe deposit box which was moved to another branch about four miles away, I've rarely had a need for a teller. Huntington has three branches within a short drive, one of which was a former TCF, and all with an ATM where I can make withdrawals and deposits. All other transactions are easily and securely done online, including paying off credit cards. I've also recently procured a Huntington Bank MasterCard. Another downside is that Huntington no longer has mini-branches inside Meijer stores, often a great convenience.

I also own shares in Huntington stock; its current 4+% dividend is better than anything they're offering on a CD or money market account! :lol

It's been said for years...decades...that America is over-banked. You can expect many smaller local and regional banks to "make love" with each other in a merger or else be gobbled up by the likes of PNC, Huntington, Fifth Third, and other major regionals. Flagstar Bank has just consummated a merger with New York Community Bank.
I've often thought a merger between Huntington and Fifth Third, assuming it could get past regulators, would make an interesting and profitable combination as their markets greatly overlap in the Midwest and they're roughly the same size. I'm not sure their respective senior managements are copacetic with each other, however, as were Huntington and TCF.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:16 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:51 am
Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:23 pm
I seriously doubt PNC Bank will be bought out anytime soon or in the future as they are one of the largest regional banks in the country (and the 22nd largest bank in the world!) with a market capitalization exceeding $65 billion; any buyout would invite SERIOUS regulatory scrutiny. However, that won't preclude them from closing geographically redundant branches as a cost-saving measure.

I also used to bank with City National when it was independent, I could walk to the local branch. PNC bought them out and a few years subsequent closed my branch. The building has remained vacant for several years now.

I moved my checking, savings, and safe deposit box to the Huntington Bank branch not far away -- FWIW, free no-frills no-minimum-balance checking was a big draw. They've since bought out TCF Bank and closed my branch, but outside of the safe deposit box which was moved to another branch about four miles away, I've rarely had a need for a teller. Huntington has three branches within a short drive, one of which was a former TCF, and all with an ATM where I can make withdrawals and deposits. All other transactions are easily and securely done online, including paying off credit cards. I've also recently procured a Huntington Bank VISA card. Another downside is that Huntington no longer has mini-branches inside Meijer stores, often a great convenience.

I also own shares in Huntington stock; its current 4+% dividend is better than anything they're offering on a CD or money market account! :lol

It's been said for years...decades...that America is over-banked. You can expect many smaller local and regional banks to "make love" with each other in a merger or else be gobbled up by the likes of PNC, Huntington, Fifth Third, and other major regionals. Flagstar Bank has just consummated a merger with New York Community Bank.
I've often thought a merger between Huntington and Fifth Third, assuming it could get past regulators, would make an interesting and profitable combination as their markets greatly overlap in the Midwest and they're roughly the same size. I'm not sure their respective senior managements are copacetic with each other, however, as were Huntington and TCF.
Yeah I mean PNC is big but anything can happen. I do suspect they are going to close that one branch that I was at. Hopefully not the one on Lewis and Alexis. Come to think of it, it seems like Huntington closed a handful of branch's in The Toledo area. I don't have much experience with them other then I had a car loan through them years ago.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:14 pm

My Credit Union in Denver did not have cash on hand. They had a large no limit ATM machine.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 pm

tigerwings wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:14 pm
My Credit Union in Denver did not have cash on hand. They had a large no limit ATM machine.
What was the name of the Credit Union?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic