Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Biker Dies, A Martyr For Freedom

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Biker Dies, A Martyr For Freedom

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:26 pm

Biker’s death prompts new rules

A lawyer who fought Florida helmet laws died in a motorcycle crash on U.S. 19 while not wearing one.

BY NATALIE WEBER

Times Staff Writer

In the late 1990s, when Florida bikers were still required to wear helmets, Pinellas lawyer Ron Smith was an aggressive advocate for overturning the law.

Smith was a member of ABATE — A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments and American Bikers Aimed Toward Education — which lobbied against the law for years. He represented clients who ran afoul of Florida’s motorcycle requirements in court cases that some say helped overturn Florida’s helmet law.

One of the cases went all the way to the 2nd District Court of Appeal, which ruled that Florida’s helmet law at the time was constitutional, but that the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles had failed to properly publish a list of protective equipment as required by law.

Smith didn’t like being told what to do and valued his independence, said Dave Newman, who met the attorney through an American Legion post in Old Town where they were both members.

“He thought everybody should have their own choice,” Newman said.

In 2000, Smith’s aspiration was realized when the Florida Legislature passed a law allowing motorcyclists over 21 to go without head protection as long as they had $10,000 in insurance coverage for motorcycle accident injuries.

In August, Smith and his girlfriend, Brenda Jeanan Volpe, were riding a motorcycle on U.S. 19 in Pinellas County. They were headed to a memorial service for another biker who had died of cancer.

Smith crashed the bike as he tried to slow for traffic ahead of him. Both he and Volpe were killed.

Neither was wearing a helmet.

The crash

Smith and Volpe were on their first ride with the American Legion Post 173 in Holiday when they crashed.

Smith, 66, was an experienced rider. He had been a member of the American Legion rider’s group in Old Town for about two years, even serving as the rider director for a year. Volpe, 62, rode along as Smith’s passenger.

As they headed south on U.S. 19 on the morning of Aug. 20, Smith lost control of his bike as he tried to slow down for traffic near the intersection with Eagle Chase Boulevard. Smith’s motorcycle started spinning clockwise and the bike collided with a trailer attached to a pickup truck in another lane.

No one has been charged in the accident, said Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson Steve Gaskins.

It’s impossible to say whether a helmet would have prevented Smith’s and Volpe’s deaths, experts said. Smith’s autopsy report lists blunt head trauma as his cause of death and an initial report from the Hillsborough Medical Examiner’s Office also lists Volpe’s cause of death as head trauma.

“It’s entirely possible that if they were wearing a helmet they might have survived, but again, we can’t say for sure. It certainly would have improved their odds,” said Eric Teoh, who has researched motorcycle safety at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Helmets decrease the risk of death for motorcyclists by 37%, according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They are estimated to be about 41% effective for motorcycle passengers, meaning that for every 100 motorcyclist deaths, 41 could’ve been prevented if the riders were wearing helmets.

In states without helmet laws, 57% of motorcyclists who died in 2020 were not wearing a helmet compared to 11% of motorcyclists in states with helmet laws. Fifteen states and the District of Columbia have laws requiring helmets for all riders on all motorcycle-type vehicles.

Florida’s death rate increased by 25% after its helmet law was repealed, according to one study, and the number of motorcyclists admitted to hospitals with head injuries jumped 82% in the 30 months following the law change.

Nationwide, “things are moving in the wrong direction,” with preliminary reports showing a 9% increase in motorcyclist deaths from 2020 to 2021, Teoh said.

“Motorcyclists face greater risk on the road than occupants of enclosed vehicles,” Teoh said. “So it’s just really, really important to protect themselves.”
https://tampabaytimes-fl.newsmemory.com ... &goTo=A001

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

HD74

Re: Biker Dies, A Martyr For Freedom

Post by HD74 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:03 pm

Tampa Bay Times, there’s a wonderful source…

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:33 pm

HD74 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:03 pm
That’s the mainstream newspaper for Tampa…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:58 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:33 pm
HD74 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:03 pm
That’s the mainstream newspaper for Tampa…
The only paper, The Tampa Tribune and The St Petersburg Times merged about five years ago.

Two years ago the Times went down to printing only two days a week The other five days are online only.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:37 pm

"Tampa Bay Times, there’s a wonderful source…"

Please see TT's common response to Matt1.
Sarcasm is a common form of humor.
Sorry TT, humour.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:40 pm

HD74 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:37 pm
"Tampa Bay Times, there’s a wonderful source…"

Please see TT's common response to Matt1.
Sarcasm is a common form of humor.
Sorry TT, humour.
Had to use that source. TMZ didn't even mention it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Looks like the helmet "solution" only is about 46% "effective". And it doesn't include info on the quality of life on those who actually survived the accident with the helmet.

If their goal is to eliminate motorcycle deaths, why not ban motorcycles completely? 100% "effective"

Not sure about the guy the article was about, but he might have lived 62 really great years, instead of doing it the "safe way" sitting in front of a TV watching reruns and biding time till the Reaper shows up.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:40 pm

I've lived well beyond 62 and never ridden a motorcycle. I rarely watch TV.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:50 pm

"Looks like the helmet "solution" only is about 46% "effective". And it doesn't include info on the quality of life on those who actually survived the accident with the helmet."

Mine's worked well so far, don't leave home without it, cringe every time I see somebody in shorts and sneakers ride by, that's what boots and leather are for.

"If their goal is to eliminate gun deaths, why not ban guns completely? 100% "effective"
Fixed it for you....

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:05 pm

HD74 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:50 pm
"Looks like the helmet "solution" only is about 46% "effective". And it doesn't include info on the quality of life on those who actually survived the accident with the helmet."

Mine's worked well so far, don't leave home without it, cringe every time I see somebody in shorts and sneakers ride by, that's what boots and leather are for.

"If their goal is to eliminate gun deaths, why not ban guns completely? 100% "effective"
Fixed it for you....
In some cases, why put a $200 helmet on a $2 head?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic