Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

United Artists Theater Torn Down

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Bobbert

United Artists Theater Torn Down

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:40 am

They started tearing down the old United Artists theater in downtown Detroit last week.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 544712007/

It was sad to look at the pictures and the video, in particular the interior.

It opened in 1928, the same year that some still-existing theaters opened (Fox, Redford, Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor).

Although it initially featured movies distributed by United Artists, from the mid-1930s to the early 1950s it was the primary theater in Detroit for M-G-M movies, including The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Meet Me in St. Louis, and Singin' in the Rain.

In the 1960s, as moviegoing spread to the suburbs, it held on with exclusive premieres of:
  • Ben-Hur
  • The Alamo
  • The Guns of Navarone
  • King of Kings
  • Judgment at Nuremberg
  • Mutiny on the Bounty
  • Cleopatra
  • Becket
  • My Fair Lady
  • That Darn Cat!
  • Doctor Zhivago
Last edited by Bobbert on Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt1

Re: United Artists Theater Torn Down

Post by matt1 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 am

Midland, MI UA theater is Secretary Of State building.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:05 pm

Fondest memory of the United Artists theater is seeing The Blue Max with my dad. Starring George Leppard, Ursula Andress, and a host of international stars; it's one of the more underrated war movies with some spectacular aerial photography utilizing genuine WWI era planes and with a most memorable score by Jerry Goldsmith.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:10 pm

I remember seeing Ben-Hur there when it first came out in 1959. And I used to park at the old Michigan Theater when going to Tiger games and it appeared that the owners, Illitch's maybe, were in the process of renovating it. Wonder what happened?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic