Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A gas station that TT would have loved closes

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Matt

A gas station that TT would have loved closes

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:20 am

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... utType=amp
“Even people that didn’t have a whole lot of money -- they could count on John. He’d let them slide a little bit and pay him when they could. He was just that type of person,” said Dan Durand, a former mechanic at the station.

The Marathon gas station at 1500 Jackson Ave. opened in 1941 and became a westside Ann Arbor landmark known for its old-fashioned service where people didn’t pay at the pump. Employees would also pump gas for those who couldn’t pump it themselves.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mega Hertz

Re: A gas station that TT would have loved closes

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:25 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:20 am
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... utType=amp
“Even people that didn’t have a whole lot of money -- they could count on John. He’d let them slide a little bit and pay him when they could. He was just that type of person,” said Dan Durand, a former mechanic at the station.

The Marathon gas station at 1500 Jackson Ave. opened in 1941 and became a westside Ann Arbor landmark known for its old-fashioned service where people didn’t pay at the pump. Employees would also pump gas for those who couldn’t pump it themselves.
Dammit! Why didn't I know this when I moved out there?

I was literally building my life back and could have used $5 to look for a job 😆

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 pm

There was a time, when I was dirt poor and before credit cards, when I would sometimes have to ask the station owner to give me credit until payday. And they would do it.

Now I'm content just to be allowed to pay after I'm finished pumping. instead of before That's the way we do it here.

The station where I usually shop, in deference to US travelers who love pre-pay, accepts pre-pay, but only between the hours of midnight and 5:00 AM, so as not to inconvenience the regular customers.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:20 pm

Employees would also pump gas for those who couldn’t pump it themselves.
I believe this is actually required under state & federal law unless the station is operating with only a single employee. The American with Disabilities Act contains provisions that specifically pertain to gas stations.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:07 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 pm
There was a time, when I was dirt poor and before credit cards, when I would sometimes have to ask the station owner to give me credit until payday. And they would do it ....
My folks kept a line of credit at the Red & White. I remember my first summer after graduating. Went in there and Mrs. Chauvin said my folks owed $40 since last summer. I give her $50 American and told her keep the change. I didn't care. I was two months out of school, already working at GM, and making more money than my dad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic