Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Remembering Farmer Jack 15 years later

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Remembering Farmer Jack 15 years later

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:30 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:42 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:14 am

You claimed that sales prices and regular prices were the same which is a lie. I leveled those shelves so I saw the sales. So, you may have maintained certain brands on the shelves, but I doubt you were involved with price control.
That is exactly how most of the prices in their weekly ad worked. I'm guessing you stocked shelves for them after they were acquired by The Greater Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company and were no longer a Borman entity. Things changed at that time.
It was 1999, so yes.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:00 pm

Farmer Jack wasn’t A&P’s biggest blunder, but they did screw it up. I think they shut down because they wanted to concentrate on what was left in the northeast. Years later they were still paying rent on vacant storefronts, or at least they were supposed to. Holding to to smaller stores was also an issue in the northeast, as well as acquiring Waldbaum’s and ruining their loyal ethnic customers by becoming too A&Pish.

Kroger is absolute garbage, Busch’s mediocre, Walmart is Walmart, Spartan stores are mainly junky too. All that’s left is Meijer unless you have a good neighbor store we should know about.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:23 pm
The only Busch's I set foot in was the one near Eisenhower and Main in Ann Arbor, some 22 years ago.

It was a rebadged former Kroger store (it had the classic mid 60s to 70s Kroger Superstore exterior architectural elements).

I remember being underwhelmed. I recall narrow aisles and mediocre prices. Still not nearly the shithole as the Kroger at the corner of Stadium and S. Industrial at the time.

Meijer on Ann Arbor - Saline Rd. was my preferred store.
That Busch's store has significantly improved - the Meijer you mentioned is our go to though.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:23 pm
The only Busch's I set foot in was the one near Eisenhower and Main in Ann Arbor, some 22 years ago.

It was a rebadged former Kroger store (it had the classic mid 60s to 70s Kroger Superstore exterior architectural elements).
I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of the location at Plymouth Rd and Green Rd near US-23?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:29 pm

I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of the location at Plymouth Rd and Green Rd near US-23?
Nope, although if I remember correctly, that Busch's (like the one on the south side of Ann Arbor) also used to be a Kroger decades ago.

It appears the S. Industrial & Stadium Kroger closed quite a long time ago, was completely renovated if not reconstructed inside & out, and is now a rather nice, upscale Whole Foods knock-off.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:16 am

Farmer Jack in Midland, MI still empty since closing!!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:12 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:06 pm
I enjoyed shopping at Farmer Jack's larger, more modern stores (16 Mile and John R, as an example). Their donuts were phenomenal. Check out was always speedy even during busy periods.

I think one problem faced by the chain is it held onto its small, outdated neighborhood stores for far too long. They were paying rent on stores that were losing money. Walking into the Center Line store was like stepping into a time capsule from 1978. One and a quarter miles down the road was a much larger and more modern store of theirs (10 Mile and Hoover).

I suspect many radio stations around town were sad to see Farmer Jack disappear. As recently as 2002 or 2003, I believe the chain was still #1 in grocery market share in Metro Detroit (Kroger was second and Meijer third).
Center Line is where I worked. Good people other than the store manager, but he was mainly in the back doing paperwork.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:16 am

I think an ABC Warehouse occupies that space now, if I remember correctly.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:08 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:29 pm

It appears the S. Industrial & Stadium Kroger closed quite a long time ago, was completely renovated if not reconstructed inside & out, and is now a rather nice, upscale Whole Foods knock-off.
It became a Lucky's Market, a Whole Foods knock off as you suggested. But it came and went. It closed 2.5 years ago.
I think some sort of co- working space is going in there.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:25 am

edj wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:00 pm
unless you have a good neighbor store we should know about.
Holiday Market in Canton is a real gem. I haven't lived anywhere near Canton for more than 20 years, but I still make a trip there several times a year. Especially around holiday's. It's more like an experience than grocery shopping. Sure wish it was located closer to me.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:31 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:08 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:29 pm

It became a Lucky's Market, a Whole Foods knock off as you suggested. But it came and went. It closed 2.5 years ago.
I think some sort of co- working space is going in there.
It looks pretty intriguing: https://www.experience4m.com/venue/

Lucky's was great - they had a solid beer offering, and the beers on draft were $2 iirc.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:03 am

I first started dating my wife the summer of 2004.
She lived in Grosse Pointe Woods with two teenage daughters at home. For 2-3 months she wanted to keep her kids and home insulated from the guy she was dating. So our meeting spot was the parking lot of the Farmer Jack on 9 Mile and Mack. It went that way for weeks till I jokingly wondered if she lived in a van down by the river. 😂

I no longer directly engage trolls

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:16 am
I think an ABC Warehouse occupies that space now, if I remember correctly.
It is. The facade was still there when I went by a couple years ago. ABC completely gutted the inside. Gone are the stairs to the break room and former public bathrooms which was creepy as fuck as a kid.

In the last 10 years, I can't say I venture south of 696 much other than a rare trip to Value Fresh on 10 Mile and Hoover(where our sister store was), Del Taco, Domino's, and maybe a trip to my old 10 and Mound neighborhood once a year.

The south end of Worn and entire city of Center Line is mostly auto shops, parts stores, party stores, and pawn shops. The average person really only ventures from north Warren to Center Line for Rinke Buick GMC and maybe Cattleman's. The Hoover and 11 shopping plaza was pretty relaxed and cool back in the day. Too many shootings there now.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:46 pm

That's a shame about Hoover and 11. That used to be a thriving shopping center.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:20 pm

Sadly, I truly believe that if Farmer Jack were still in business today, their logo of a middle aged Caucasian man wearing the hat would be called out as offensive, stereotypical and eventually cancelled...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic