Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Remembering Farmer Jack 15 years later

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Robert Faygo

Re: Remembering Farmer Jack 15 years later

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:47 pm

If you really miss Farmer Jack, he's moved on to Perth.

https://www.farmerjacks.com.au/

You just *know* it was someone from Michigan that named that chain. Probably someone that worked for Fords or Krogers.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:46 pm
That's a shame about Hoover and 11. That used to be a thriving shopping center.
Oh yes. We spent all day at Funco Land growing up. Went to Doc’s Good Food or Subway nearby. Mom went to Dress Barn and Perry Drug religiously. Sam Goody was the music spot. Wing Hing, Blockbuster, and TJ Maxx were wildly popular. Everyone of those is gone. Kroger is about the only thing left. Oh, and that pet shop.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:37 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:20 pm
Sadly, I truly believe that if Farmer Jack were still in business today, their logo of a middle aged Caucasian man wearing the hat would be called out as offensive, stereotypical and eventually cancelled...
How is it offensive? What a dumb comment…

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:32 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:37 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:20 pm
Sadly, I truly believe that if Farmer Jack were still in business today, their logo of a middle aged Caucasian man wearing the hat would be called out as offensive, stereotypical and eventually cancelled...
How is it offensive? What a dumb comment…
Child please....

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:46 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:47 pm

You just *know* it was someone from Michigan that named that chain. Probably someone that worked for Fords or Krogers.
Many years ago, while the Detroit area Farmer Jack were still going strong, a grocery store in Emeryville Ontario started calling themselves Farmer Jack. Emeryville is about a dozen miles east of Windsor on Lake St. Clair.

They put up a big sign across the front. Had some pictures of a farmer. It really did look like maybe the chain had a store in Emeryville. But they didn't. The market had did it on their own.

Farmer Jack (the real Farmer Jack) hired a lawyer out of Toronto. The lawyers come by the store. Took pictures. Big shiny car.

I'm not sure if any litigation was involved. Or the lawyers just told the store "Uhh .. No". But by the end of the summer the market had a new name.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:25 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:46 am
Robert Faygo wrote:

Many years ago, while the Detroit area Farmer Jack were still going strong, a grocery store in Emeryville Ontario started calling themselves Farmer Jack. Emeryville is about a dozen miles east of Windsor on Lake St. Clair.

They put up a big sign across the front. Had some pictures of a farmer. It really did look like maybe the chain had a store in Emeryville. But they didn't. The market had did it on their own.

Farmer Jack (the real Farmer Jack) hired a lawyer out of Toronto. The lawyers come by the store. Took pictures. Big shiny car.

I'm not sure if any litigation was involved. Or the lawyers just told the store "Uhh .. No". But by the end of the summer the market had a new name.
I'm sure being that close to Windsor would confuse so many people.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:51 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:25 pm
In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:46 am
Robert Faygo wrote:

When Walmart first came to Canada. A lady in Alberta had a knitting store she called Wool Mart. It had been there for years. Walmart got their lawyers after her for copyright infringement.

They ended up settling out of court. She agreed to change the name of her shop. Walmart agreed to make her a nice, light up sign with the new name, to replace her old hand painted, plywood sign.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:59 pm

It was meant to intentionally make people think it was another Farmer Jack.
I just think they thought Farmer Jack wouldn't really mind, since it was in another country.
I remember the signs of the farmer was as close as they could get to the real thing.
It really did have a lot of us thinking the Borman Brothers had expanded into our little corner of the world.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 pm

Does anybody remember when that old guy drove through the storefront at FJ at 17 mile and Van Dyke in Sterling Heights around 2001 or so?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:36 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:59 pm
It was meant to intentionally make people think it was another Farmer Jack.
I just think they thought Farmer Jack wouldn't really mind, since it was in another country.
I remember the signs of the farmer was as close as they could get to the real thing.
It really did have a lot of us thinking the Borman Brothers had expanded into our little corner of the world.
Ironically, A and P was in Windsor in the early 2000s.

Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:37 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 pm
Does anybody remember when that old guy drove through the storefront at FJ at 17 mile and Van Dyke in Sterling Heights around 2001 or so?
There was no Farmer Jack there. It was Kroger.

Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:09 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:37 am
There was no Farmer Jack there. It was Kroger.
Wrong. 17/Van Dyke was for sure Farmer Jack.

The Kroger was at Riverland/Van Dyke

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:42 am

Michigan Ave & Outer Rd in Deerbern.
Once a rivalry with Kroger in Westborn Mall and the brand new Farmer Jack in the Garrison strip mall. Forced Kroger to purchase Crowley’s, expand it to what it is to this day.

Then, the A&P mess happened. Farmer Jack became a Kroger (aka Kro-Jack). There was a Kroger, across the street from a Kroger. The Kroger in Garrison ended up closing and continues to be vacant, leaving the sole Kroger in Westborn Mall.

Who remember that old-fashioned Kroger that used to be by Adray Appliance, by Outer Dr and Carlysle? I think it closed by 1997 or so. I think it still had wooden floors.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:04 am

Contrary to what MCRF wrote, that store indeed was a Farmer Jack, and yes, I do remember the news story about the old geezer driving through the storefront.

A number of years later, I believe a similar incident occurred at the Kroger at the NEC of Woodward and Maple in Birmingham.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:15 am

No idea about Saginaw or Flint, but Farmer Jack had 1 store in Toledo in the late 70s?-early 90s on Secor rd. It was very much like a warehouse type store, I still remember the black and white generic brand stuff they sold. Like a package that just said " Ice Cream" or " Green Beans", that's it nothing else.

Anyway, It closed and sat empty for years, then Foodtown moved in and then that closed in 2003. The building now houses Big lots and an Asian market.

Farmer Jack came back in the late 90s or very early 2000s, I can't remember. They purchased a local store called Churchills and the built 2 other stores(I think) The buildings have since been demolished and redeveloped, at least 2 I'm aware of.

The Farmer Jack in Monroe MI ended up being doomed, With Meijer just down the road and with Walmart getting into groceries, as well as a smaller store called Hi-Lite on the other end of the road.

It seems to me FJ's sales were good but there prices were a tad higher then Krogers, they seemed to lose there way and it was a slow race to the bottom.

I miss the catchy jingle though. Weird it's been a decade and a half since Farmer Jack lost his farm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic