Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Panhandling on the side of the road

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Mega Hertz

Re: Panhandling on the side of the road

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue May 03, 2022 10:12 pm

Walking in downtown Ann Arbor a few years ago, I saw a couple sitting on a blanket with a "tip cup" in front of them. What bothered me about it, though, was the pack of Marlboros they were smoking. Even then, smokes at that party store were already $10 (as I found out the hard way. I could have waited until Circle K I suppose).

Then I got my ass torn into as a guy was hitting people up near the bus depot. We were short handed at work...pretty much just me...and we were desperate for people. I handed him a business card and told him I could help him earn as much money as he wanted. Some lady got all indignant and starting sniping at me for "looking down" on him. Can't win 'em all.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 03, 2022 10:20 pm

A young lady one day was asking for money one day. She was smoking a cigarette. Cigarettes in Canada are over $15.

I said to her, "If you can afford to smoke, you don't need my help. I couldn't afford to smoke."

She told me I had no right to judge her.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 04, 2022 12:55 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:16 am
Okay.
It is not illegal to panhandle, according to my friend that sits on a Police and Fire Commission near me. It used to be. Sometimes while Bill Shullete was Michigan's attorney general, a court overruled it. Said the law was a violation of free speech.

So a complete stranger can approach you and ask for money.

However, he also said it's generally illegal to be hanging out on the left side of the road. Whether you are asking for money or just standing there looking pretty.
Depends what city you are in. It is illegal in Warren per city ordinance, at least at stop lights.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Panhandlers don't want to make 40K a year. That would put them in a higher tax bracket.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 am

paul8539 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:39 pm
Panhandlers don't want to make 40K a year. That would put them in a higher tax bracket.
Only if each sucker issued a W-2. :P

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:19 pm

Yesterday I was sitting on a bench outside a store, waiting for my wife.

A guy in the parking lot was going from car to car asking for money. He watched for cars to drive in and aproached the drivers as they were exiting their vehicles.

One driver must have been especially generous. The guy said to him "That's too much. Five bucks would be good. I have my pride, you know."

If he had any pride, he wouldn't have been out there.

He might have wished he had swallowed his pride and taken advantage of the first guy's generosity. I didn't see anyone else offer him anything.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:19 pm

A guy in the parking lot was going from car to car asking for money. He watched for cars to drive in and aproached the drivers as they were exiting their vehicles.

One driver must have been especially generous. The guy said to him "That's too much. Five bucks would be good. I have my pride, you know."

He might have wished he had swallowed his pride and taken advantage of the first guy's generosity. I didn't see anyone else offer him anything.
Where you been man? The "Will Work For Food" business is the hottest franchise opportunity out there. For less than 20.00 bucks, you can get a sign, dirty clothes, and a corner of your own to start your new business. For ten dollars more, you can get a crutch and a military hat to augment your advertising.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:34 pm

This guy didn't have dirty clothes. He didn't look in need of a haircut. He didn't appear to be handicapped in any way. He looked repectable and middle class.

I told my wife, when we're driving around, she should carry a clipboard and make a list of all the places with help wanted signs. Then if we meet someone who is down and out, we can just hand them the list.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:34 pm
This guy didn't have dirty clothes. He didn't look in need of a haircut. He didn't appear to be handicapped in any way. He looked repectable and middle class.

I told my wife, when we're driving around, she should carry a clipboard and make a list of all the places with help wanted signs. Then if we meet someone who is down and out, we can just hand them the list.
Nice idea. I like the way you think.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:18 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

Where you been man? The "Will Work For Food" business is the hottest franchise opportunity out there. For less than 20.00 bucks, you can get a sign, dirty clothes, and a corner of your own to start your new business. For ten dollars more, you can get a crutch and a military hat to augment your advertising.
I am shocked that a rich fuck would look down on the poor. Oh wait….

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:08 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:18 am
Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

I am shocked that a rich fuck would look down on the poor. Oh wait….
The only person on here that brags about their economic situation is your hero TCT.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:43 am

I see a guy around Ann Arbor in a little motorized handicapped scooter thing. Runs on a battery pack I'm sure.
He works the freeway exits with his " help a vet" signs. For awhile I saw him at the US 23 north @ Plymouth Rd exit.
Then I saw him off west bound 94 at State St and 94 at Jackson Rd. too.
I wonder how he gets that little scooter around town?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:21 pm

Does anyone here give panhandlers money? I don't.
Has anyone here seen other people give panhandlers money? I'm not seeing it.
Just how lucrative is panhandling?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:31 pm

It must pay something or people wouldn't do it.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:27 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:31 pm
It must pay something or people wouldn't do it.
I won't disagree with you on that. I'm just saying I don't see anyone give.
There's been times where it took me a couple of lights to get thru an intersection, and the peddler never walked up to a car.
Oh well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic