Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why Would a Homeless Person Have a Cellphone?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Why Would a Homeless Person Have a Cellphone?

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:30 pm

If homeless people are broke, how come so many have smartphones?

First, not all homeless are ‘broke’ or ‘poor’. In some cases, they merely do not earn enough money working to handle the monthly expenses of regular housing for the community they are in. Perhaps they have a fixed income such as disability or retirement payments. Prior to (or perhaps after) losing their housing, they may have purchased an expensive smartphone, and converting the phone to any of the various pay-as-you-go plans is often fairly easy, and quite inexpensive. Maintaining a phone as a line of communication with employers, family, doctors, and caseworkers is a necessity.

They could be subscribing to a pay-as-you go service straight up. TracFone smartphones can be bought for as little as $20, and maintaining the minutes and airtime is as cheap as $15 a month. If they have a low enough income to qualify for LifeLine benefits, they might be subscribed to a service such as SafeLink or Assurance, which gives 1000 minutes of talk time, unlimited texting, and 1GB of data free every month and an additional 1GB data and 1000 minutes of talk time can be bought as cheap as $10 (for SafeLink). The government provides the phone and basic phone service.

If you are expecting someone who is using SafeLink or Assurance (or even TracFone if they are ‘broke’) for their phone service to not have a smart phone, think again. You cannot even buy standard featureless bar phones anymore in the US. Most of them run on 2G or 3G systems which have already been shut down by the major carriers, and may not even exist for the minor carriers (none of which participate in LifeLine) if they operate by piggybacking off a major carrier’s service (which is how TracFone, Safelink, and Assurance all operate).
https://www.quora.com/

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: Why Would a Homeless Person Have a Cellphone?

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:55 am

A cell phone is the single most important tool someone who is experiencing homelessness on the street can own. They can't access family support or jobs without one.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:37 am

Some homeless shelters give out phone cards. I know of one that asks folks to donate them.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:55 am
A cell phone is the single most important tool someone who is experiencing homelessness on the street can own. They can't access family support or jobs without one.
I would argue money is the most important tool. You can use it to aquire food

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:25 pm

If homeless people have a smartphone, are they middle class?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

kager

Post by kager » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:02 pm

:roll:

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:25 pm

Could well be. A lot of the homeless are middle class people who got into trouble with alcohol, gambling, or drugs. Some of them just had bad luck and lost their job and then lost everything.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:05 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:55 am
I would argue money is the most important tool. You can use it to aquire food
We have food security in the U.S. fortunately.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:28 pm
Matt wrote:

Could well be. A lot of the homeless are middle class people who got into trouble with alcohol, gambling, or drugs. Some of them just had bad luck and lost their job and then lost everything.
They're no longer middle class if they are homeless.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:28 pm
Matt wrote:

Many people in the United States who are experiencing homelessness lost everything to a medical expense.

I would say 15% of the people in the shelter that I am involved with are dealing with that circumstance. Another five to seven percent are there as a result of a divorce that left them without anywhere to live because we don't have affordable housing in Traverse City.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:49 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 pm

Oh, right. I forgot. The middle class kicks people out if their luck turns bad and they fall below an arbitrary income threshold.

The working class is the only class without an income floor or ceiling. All are welcome.

I keep hearing whining about the "shrinking middle class." No wonder it's shrinking. They keep expelling their own members.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:49 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 pm

Oh, right. I forgot. The middle class kicks people out if their luck turns bad and they fall below an arbitrary income threshold.

The working class is the only class without an income floor or ceiling. All are welcome.

I keep hearing whining about the "shrinking middle class." No wonder it's shrinking. They keep expelling their own members.
Classes aren't clubs. There isn't a working class.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:19 pm

Years ago our church participated in a 'rotating shelter' during the winter months to the overflow of the local homeless shelter. All the participants had to meet minimum standards as to not present a problem. One young guy had a beat-up laptop computer and some books. He asked if there was a quieter place to sit because he had a big test coming up in his class at EMU. He said it came down to spending money for an apartment or tuition so he could finish his degree and get a good job.
He chose education to better himself vs the possibility of a hand to mouth existence for the foreseeable future.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:35 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 pm

There isn't a working class? It's you liberal elitists who always define working class in terms of income.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:37 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:35 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 pm
There isn't a working class? It's you liberal elitists who always define working class in terms of income.
TT, I for one (knowing your background) have respect for what you have done in your life.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic