Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

vehicle prices

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 15773

vehicle prices

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 pm

I'm currently driving a 2007 Volkswagen Jetta I purchased brand new in the summer of 2007. It's been a decent car but it's showing it's age, The vehicle still runs fairly well but it's falling apart physically. The interior lights have a mind of there own, at night you have to give the dash a good smack for the dash display to light up, the headliner fell down, the drivers seat has developed a tear in it. The car needs mechanical work as well, it has about 145k on it.

Last year I was involved in a accident with a snow plow(plow was at fault), which resulted in a broken mirror, a dented rocker panel, and some minor under carriage damage. I did not have the damages repaired as they cost almost what the car is worth, by Kelly Blue Book's price guide. The driver paid me the sum of money out of pocket for the damages, as he did not want to turn it into his insurance..

I was considering a new car around the time the pandemic hit but backed off due to the uncertainty of the world at the time. The other day I got my courage up and went into a car dealer to look at a new Nissan Sentra. They gave me a rough estimate on the payments and it took my breath away, now, I know a lot has changed since 2007 but I was taken aback the price.

The problem is, used cars are almost as much as new ones! I really don't want put a large sum of money into an old car that's worth very little but not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Circle Seven

Re: vehicle prices

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:31 pm

Unless the frame is broke, just keep putting money in the Jetta. Calculate what the monthly payments and increased insurance on the Nissan would cost you every month. How many months would it cost you to make the Jetta good as new?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:12 pm

I agree with Circle. If the car is still running well, 145 K is nothing. You should get another 75-100. That'll give you time to save and the market to turn more in a buyers favor.

The censorship king from out of state.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:43 pm

Headliners aren't cheap, but they won't break you. I would be interested in knowing what your mechanical issues are. Based on what you have said, I would keep it as long as there is no frame or transmission issues.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic