Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brush with greatness thread

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Mega Hertz

Re: Brush with greatness thread

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:17 pm

Then there was the time Eminem and a couple guys from D12 came in to eat at the restaurant I worked at. This was 2002; I was only old enough to clear tables. Had a whole section roped off for him and his people to dine at. Only 2 people were allowed to approach his table: his server and the manager.

Konstantinov came in with his family, too. But you just look from yonder. Something always bugged me about approaching people when they're trying to eat. If I see you at a ball game or events when I worked in radio, fine. But not while you're enjoying a meal. I know that would piss me off.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:31 pm

I met Joe Garagiola in the elevator at Tiger Stadium when I was 15. It was a Saturday and he was in town to do the NBC Game of the Week telecast.

I was a volunteer walking scorer for five years at the PGA Senior Tour event that used to be at TPC Michigan, and did the same at the 2012 US Senior Open at Indianwood. Got an autographed ball from every player I walked with (notably Tom Kite and Fuzzy Zoeller), and in the case of Zoeller, also an autographed glove. I walked with Peter Jacobson in the final round when he won in 2005, and he autographed my tournament badge.

I went to Metro Airport when the Tigers were returning home from spring training to open the 1983 season. No charter flights then; they flew commercial and had to get their bags in the baggage claim just like all the unwashed masses. I took a 1982 scorebook and got a fair number of autographs; the most gracious were Alan Trammell, Sparky Anderson and Ernie Harwell. Kirk Gibson ran past everyone and couldn't leave fast enough. (I also met Ernie twice more in later years at Tiger Stadium, again always the most gracious human.)

Met Kirk Maltby of the Red Wings at the old Borders Book Store in Novi when he was autographing copies of the Wings' Stanley Cup commemorative DVD (got autograph and a photo with him). Met Mitch Albom at a Costco book signing a few years ago. Both very gracious and conversational.

Anyone remember the Charley Manos student press conferences that he used to do with the Detroit News in the 1970's? I got to do a couple of those in high school, and one was with Al Kaline. Also a very gracious and self-deprecating person. Got to ask a question and also had him autograph an old baseball card of his. One of my most prized possessions.

Also had a couple of chance encounters in Las Vegas: Carrot Top in the VIP lounge at MGM, Sirajul and Mujibur at Bally's (old sidekicks of David Letterman from his CBS Late Show, they were on a round trip of the country for the Late show and doing remotes from wherever they stopped for the night). And maybe the best story of all: having dinner one night a few years ago at Bellagio, my wife and I found ourselves at a table next to singer Lee Greenwood, his wife and son. They were celebrating the son's birthday, I believe. Had a very nice chat with them, and got a couple photos with him. Lee asked us where we were from, and when I told him Detroit, he said, "Oh yeah, W4 Country, they always treated me really good."

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:33 pm

Realist wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:37 pm
Shook Jimmy Carter’s hand at SVSU in 1980 when he was campaigning.

Met Kenny Rogers and had him sign a gift book of his for my parents Christmas present.

Wife and I talked to Brandon Inge one on one after a Pirates pre season game in Sarasota.

Met Mitch Albom at a book signing in Saginaw and he was actually a nice guy
My dad waved to Jimmy during his campaign stop in Toledo, but the story leading up to it was interesting. It was a cold day and Dad had his hands in his pockets. A Secret Service agent accompanying him yelled, "Get your hands up, NOW!", as his limo approached. Sure enough, dad complied.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:34 pm

MichMash wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:31 pm
I met Joe Garagiola in the elevator at Tiger Stadium when I was 15. It was a Saturday and he was in town to do the NBC Game of the Week telecast.

I was a volunteer walking scorer for five years at the PGA Senior Tour event that used to be at TPC Michigan, and did the same at the 2012 US Senior Open at Indianwood. Got an autographed ball from every player I walked with (notably Tom Kite and Fuzzy Zoeller), and in the case of Zoeller, also an autographed glove. I walked with Peter Jacobson in the final round when he won in 2005, and he autographed my tournament badge.

I went to Metro Airport when the Tigers were returning home from spring training to open the 1983 season. No charter flights then; they flew commercial and had to get their bags in the baggage claim just like all the unwashed masses. I took a 1982 scorebook and got a fair number of autographs; the most gracious were Alan Trammell, Sparky Anderson and Ernie Harwell. Kirk Gibson ran past everyone and couldn't leave fast enough. (I also met Ernie twice more in later years at Tiger Stadium, again always the most gracious human.)

Met Kirk Maltby of the Red Wings at the old Borders Book Store in Novi when he was autographing copies of the Wings' Stanley Cup commemorative DVD (got autograph and a photo with him). Met Mitch Albom at a Costco book signing a few years ago. Both very gracious and conversational.

Anyone remember the Charley Manos student press conferences that he used to do with the Detroit News in the 1970's? I got to do a couple of those in high school, and one was with Al Kaline. Also a very gracious and self-deprecating person. Got to ask a question and also had him autograph an old baseball card of his. One of my most prized possessions.

Also had a couple of chance encounters in Las Vegas: Carrot Top in the VIP lounge at MGM, Sirajul and Mujibur at Bally's (old sidekicks of David Letterman from his CBS Late Show, they were on a round trip of the country for the Late show and doing remotes from wherever they stopped for the night). And maybe the best story of all: having dinner one night a few years ago at Bellagio, my wife and I found ourselves at a table next to singer Lee Greenwood, his wife and son. They were celebrating the son's birthday, I believe. Had a very nice chat with them, and got a couple photos with him. Lee asked us where we were from, and when I told him Detroit, he said, "Oh yeah, W4 Country, they always treated me really good."
What year did you meet Maltby?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:38 pm

I did forget that I met Ernie Harwell after he spoke at the “Home Plate” event. He signed my glove. I lost that glove unfortunately. Also had a ball signed by John Shelby who finished his career as a Tiger.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:59 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:34 pm
Memory is a little fuzzy, but it was after either the '98 (back-to-back) Cup win or the 2002 Cup win. The DVD he signed is in a box somewhere; if I can find it, I'll know for sure.

Another one I forgot: my wife went to a comedy club in Novi a couple years on a night when Darren McCarty was emceeing. She got a photo with him and had him autograph a napkin for me. He spent all night talking about the fight with Claude Lemieux.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:16 am

MichMash wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:31 pm
In all my years of going to Tiger Stadium, I only got one autograph—Ernie Harwell, just before his first retirement in 1991. I'm glad I said to him, "This is the only autograph I've ever gotten here."

I was in the bleachers once at Tiger Stadium, and some kid was showing off a baseball full of Tiger autographs. I asked him if he got Gibson's autograph, and the kid responded angrily, "Gibby's a effing bastard!"

I also heard a story about Gibson from two different people who didn't know each other. He was jogging through Grosse Pointe and some kid asked for his autograph. Gibson's reply: "Eff off!"

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am

In the late 70s, when I was going to college in West Virginia, James Doohan, Scotty of Star Trek, was a guest speaker. Afterwards, at a reception in a lounge, he was signing autographs at a table. Someone from West Virginia public radio nervously approached him and asked if he could record a public service announcement. He said "Sure," read through the copy once, and made a flawless recording of it on the first take. Helped me better understand the skills and talents of the top professionals.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm

MichMash wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:59 am
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:34 pm
Memory is a little fuzzy, but it was after either the '98 (back-to-back) Cup win or the 2002 Cup win. The DVD he signed is in a box somewhere; if I can find it, I'll know for sure.

Another one I forgot: my wife went to a comedy club in Novi a couple years on a night when Darren McCarty was emceeing. She got a photo with him and had him autograph a napkin for me. He spent all night talking about the fight with Claude Lemieux.
Was Darren actually doing stand-up comedy?

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:12 pm

Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm
No, he was the emcee for the evening. His job was just to introduce each comedian during the show, and fill in a few minutes between the acts. My wife said that at the beginning, he came on stage, talked a bit about his hockey life and getting sober, then took a few questions from the crowd before he introduced the first act. He was on stage for maybe 15-20 minutes before the first act came on.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:39 pm

MichMash wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:12 pm
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:16 pm
No, he was the emcee for the evening. His job was just to introduce each comedian during the show, and fill in a few minutes between the acts. My wife said that at the beginning, he came on stage, talked a bit about his hockey life and getting sober, then took a few questions from the crowd before he introduced the first act. He was on stage for maybe 15-20 minutes before the first act came on.
That's interesting.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:52 pm

McCarty is a good dude. I have heard that from several people.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:39 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:52 pm
He was nice and friendly to me when I met him years ago.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:05 pm

Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:39 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:52 pm
He was nice and friendly to me when I met him years ago.
Same.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:27 pm

I almost met Richard Nixon once as a kid while he was campaigning back in 1972 at one of his campaign stops, but somebody pushed me out of the way at the last second.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic