Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

So, What About Your Education?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

So, What About Your Education?

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 am

Sure, we need an education to get a job. But how much of it do you really use?

I'm retired now, so I don't need any job skills. But there are some things I'm glad I learned. Math. Never go a day without using that. Reading, grammar, composition were essential in my career and I still value them today. Science was and is interesting. But a lot of what we learned in school years ago has been overtaken by new ideas.

History. I hated it in school, so not much of it has stayed with me. I don't think my lack of knowledge in that field has ever been an obstacle for me, but sometimes I regret not knowing more about it

One thing that was optional at school and I wish I had pursued was learning another language, especially French. Knowledge of French can be a real career booster in Canada. My own employer paid an annual bonus to bilingual employees.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: So, What About Your Education?

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:34 am

History is very important in the U.S. We were on the same trajectory as 1934 Berlin until the people said, "Hell no, we want Joe!" Kind of important everywhere because the United States' attitude trickles down to other countries(and not in a good St. Ronnie way).

Also, I believe learning French is now mandatory beginning in grade 5 in Canada now according to my friend in Toronto who is 31. Certainly mandatory if you want to be prime minister.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:35 am

If you're going to learn a language, Chinese is the one to go with.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:08 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:35 am
If you're going to learn a language, Chinese is the one to go with.
I once asked a friend in Oakland, California how prevalent Spanish is spoken in that state, having always thought of the great influx of Hispanics into that state over the past several decades. He quickly corrected me saying if one wants to benefit from a second language, it's Chinese!

Personally, I chose German in high school and later college. I understood it as being closer to English than the other available languages -- Spanish, French, and Russian(!) -- and besides, I wanted to better enjoy all those great World War II movies. Stupid, I know. I quickly learned I had very little facility in learning a new language and had nightmares about German exams for several years thereafter. When the kids in your class had names like Manfred, Klaus-Dieter, Frieda, etc., how could one possibly compete? :razz

Speaking of World War II movies (still love watching reruns of Combat!, a great series), history was always a fascinating subject for me. However, college history courses required a ton of reading, time for which was precluded by working full-time to pay for it!

As to education in general, you'll never hear me speaking against it. I firmly believe in education for its own sake as evidenced by my signature. The crime is in how much it costs these days! :?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:34 am
History is very important in the U.S. We were on the same trajectory as 1934 Berlin until the people said, "Hell no, we want Joe!" Kind of important everywhere because the United States' attitude trickles down to other countries(and not in a good St. Ronnie way).

Didn't I read somewhere that the teaching of history has become controversial in your country?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am

Didn't I read somewhere that the teaching of history has become controversial in your country?
Among unintelligent inbreds, yes.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:38 pm

History is very important We were on the same trajectory as 1934 Berlin
Had he succeeded, I can name members of this board who would have celebrated that success.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:19 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:38 pm
History is very important We were on the same trajectory as 1934 Berlin
Had he succeeded, I can name members of this board who would have celebrated that success.
Absolutely, 40% of Pol Pot.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic