Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Waze

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
kager

Re: Waze

Post by kager » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 am

I've found Waze both useful and quite different than Google Maps... and until today, did not know Google owned it.

Useful: Primarily in larger cities & the interstates. The crowd-sourced info on traffic, road closures, construction, accidents & speed-traps is quite nice to have, especially if there is someone else in the vehicle with eyes on it / running it.

Different: I tried using Waze to drive to an address in a more sparsely-populated area north of the 45th. It directed me to use a scenic route - a side road sted of the faster main highway - and then, could not give specific turns to arrive at the destination. I called the person I was meeting for confirmation I was using the correct address, and for further direction once I got to the general area via Waze. Firing up G-Maps whilst she was on the phone, it had no problem showing the error with Waze' ways and taking me to the specific building in the condo complex I was looking to visit.

I haven't used Waze for nav up here since. It did fine for nav in FL during a quick weekend visit this past winter, I'll probably try it again from time to time, but after that first MI experience with it last year and its 'Playskool' feel sometimes, Waze can pretty much ride in the back seat from now on.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 am

Good input kager, thanks.

The censorship king from out of state.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am

As someone who loathes freeway driving as my steering wheel shakes above 70, I find Google Maps is very useful in finding the quickest back roads.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:11 pm

So you need an AP to fix a wheel balance problem? LOL.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:55 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:11 pm
So you need an AP to fix a wheel balance problem? LOL.
I have been to several different shops and they say all looks fine. Saabs are very tricky. Have had the problem for the last two years. Got new tires a year and a half ago. Only got 7K miles on them. It's not a wheel balance problem.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:32 pm

Either something is out of balance or bent.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:18 pm

I've used Waze for a few years now. I find it to be smoother and a little more resourceful than Google's source navigation app, although that was on an older Android phone (I just recently upgraded to a Motorola Moto E and haven't tried the Google app since). Sometimes it picks a goofy route or mixes up a destination, but that's the exception more than the rule. No navigation app gets it right 100% of the time I suppose. The voice interface comes in handy for reporting hazards without having to fiddle with screen while driving (which is obviously a bad and quite illegal idea).

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am
As someone who loathes freeway driving as my steering wheel shakes above 70, I find Google Maps is very useful in finding the quickest back roads.
I'm very surprised multiple shops are saying they don't see anything. Something is causing it. Are you brave enough to keep hitting the gas and see if it goes away at 80? If it does, take it back and have them take a closer look at the CV joints.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 pm
I'm very surprised multiple shops are saying they don't see anything. Something is causing it. Are you brave enough to keep hitting the gas and see if it goes away at 80? If it does, take it back and have them take a closer look at the CV joints.
It doesn't go away at 80. I would say that it seems to lessen, but I only pushed it past 80 the other day on 94 briefly to get around a gravel hauler throwing rocks.

Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:31 pm

CV joints with hardened grease can cause this.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:00 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 pm
I had all the wheels balancing down when the new tires were installed. I was sure it would resolve the problem but no.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:08 pm

It certainly could be a bad CV joint.

Another possibility could be a stuck brake caliper.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:04 pm

I tend to use Waze for my standard daily commute to and from work. I do like its resourcefulness with routing around unexpected issues. When you know the area, and you're just looking for any way to cut down on time, I would recommend Waze.

I am stubbornly insistent, though, on using Google Maps if you're less familiar with the area. I just don't completely trust Waze to get an unfamiliar address right, for instance. So, G Maps for any kind of road trip, just for its superior data ability and accuracy.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:08 pm
It certainly could be a bad CV joint.

Another possibility could be a stuck brake caliper.
Found something out recently on stuck brake calipers. When that happens, you will get a gas smell / odor in the car. Had that happen on a work Ford Focus recently. Weird

kager

Post by kager » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:28 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:04 pm
I tend to use Waze for my standard daily commute to and from work. I do like its resourcefulness with routing around unexpected issues. When you know the area, and you're just looking for any way to cut down on time, I would recommend Waze.

I am stubbornly insistent, though, on using Google Maps if you're less familiar with the area. I just don't completely trust Waze to get an unfamiliar address right, for instance. So, G Maps for any kind of road trip, just for its superior data ability and accuracy.
Good call.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic