Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pre Paid Credit Cards

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14896

Pre Paid Credit Cards

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:53 pm

I belong to a club. They've set it so the only way you can pay for activities is online with a credit card. I just don't like their website. My antivirus software don't like it. I just don't want to use my regular charge card on it.

I want to get what I will call a "sandbox" charge card. Techies know what I mean. If it gets hacked, it don't do no harm other than the remainder balance on the prepaid card.

Anyone use a prepaid card? This will be my first time. What's good advice. What to look for. What to avoid. Thanks.

Turkeytop

Re: Pre Paid Credit Cards

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:52 pm

Don't they come at a high premium?

Our son has a regular Mastercard that he uses for Online purchases only. He requested a very low credit limit for the card. He directed his bank, in writing, to never increase the credit limit unless requested in writing by him.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Don't they come at a high premium?

Our son has a regular Mastercard that he uses for Online purchases only. He requested a very low credit limit for the card. He directed his bank, in writing, to never increase the credit limit unless requested in writing by him.
What I'm talking about does not involve the bank. You buy a card somewhere, and put money on it by buying it. You can pay cash for the card. If it gets frauded, the only hit is the remaining balance. No connection to your bank or credit record or anything like that.

I'm reading some may have fees for transactions, some charge interest and some don't, etc.

I was wondering who may have used them, pitfalls to avoid, etc. Apparently they can be used like any other charge card online. Like I said, I'll be a first time user.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 pm

Right. I was thinking of something different I've seen them in stores. A Visa card preloaded in various denominations. For example, a $50 card might cost $55 to buy.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:33 pm

If you're not opposed to adding cash to it at a Walmart, the AMEX Bluebird card is a good option that is cheap (one-time $5 charge) up front, and then can be used totally free from then on.

It works and is basically risk free (depending of course on how much cash you preload on it).

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 pm

In addition to a PayPal account, I keep about 300.00 on a Walmart Card that I can either load at the store or online for internet purchases. If something happens, the most I can be out is 300.00.

I also use it for all my Walmart purchases. Last year I got 75.00 back from them.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:20 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 pm
In addition to a PayPal account, I keep about 300.00 on a Walmart Card that I can either load at the store or online for internet purchases. If something happens, the most I can be out is 300.00 ...
Thanks Bruce and TT and Faygo. The club I belong to used to take Paypal. For some reason they cut that out.

I'll deal with this today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic