Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Middle Class Rejects Moderna Vaccine

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Middle Class Rejects Moderna Vaccine

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 pm

The trending vaccine for today's middle class is the Pfizer vaccine. At a drive thru clinic in Windsor yesterday, the brand conscious middle class drove off when they found out that only the Moderna vaccine was being offered.

Wouldn't want to be caught with an unfashionable vaccine in their arm.
Vaccine shopping and bailing at Windsor pop-up drive-thru clinic

WINDSOR, ONT. -- A number of people have abandoned the line at a pop-up drive thru COVID-19 vaccination clinic Saturday morning, according to the doctor hosting it.

Dr. Lisa Jansen says several people have left upon learning only Moderna was being offered.

“For some reason, people are hung up on Pfizer being the only good vaccine available, which is sad,” she says.

Jansen says there is a misconception that Pfizer is the only “good” vaccine which she insists is just not true.

“I don’t know how to convince them except to reassure them that I would get Moderna today if it was the first one offered to me,” she says.

Jansen and volunteers say the line of vehicles at 1720 Howard Avenue was long before the clinic opened Saturday morning, but within the first hour, demand dwindled.

“I don’t know if people are just sleeping in on a Saturday morning but most of the week we’ve had at least a 50 car wait, so, I’m not sure exactly what’s going on.” Jansen adds, “As long as people are getting it done I don’t care if it’s here or anywhere else.”

Jansen tells CTV News the goal of this weekend’s clinic is to administer one thousand shots. “Last Saturday, we did 600 without trying.”

The first-dose-only drive-thru clinic is open to all Windsor-Essex residents age 30-plus until 3 p.m.

You must be accompanied by a driver, and all adults aged 18-plus living in hotspot postal codes (N8X, N9C, N8H, N9Y, N9A, N9B) can attend.

As well as 18-plus, adults with highest, high and at-risk medical conditions, and essential caregivers. ‘Group 1’ essential caregivers and priorities healthcare workers. Adults in First Nations, Métis, and Inuit populations.

“I think most people agree this is our only way back to a normal life. I’m not sure how much convincing I can do but I will tell you that I’ve been done. My family has been done. All my friends have been done. There’s really no reason not to. It’s very safe. We need herd immunity to actually get rid of this thing, so please get it done!” Jansen adds, “As quickly as possible!”

Organizers say more pop up drive thru clinics will happen if there is demand.
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/vaccine-shop ... -1.5429321

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

moldyoldie

Re: Middle Class Rejects Moderna Vaccine

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 17, 2021 7:07 am

Please explain what "middle class" has to do with this. It sounds as if there's a general perception that the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine affords higher quality and better protection than that of Moderna...or maybe folks left the line because they have places to go and people to see.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Mon May 17, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

kager

Post by kager » Mon May 17, 2021 7:28 am

Moderna vacc has a bit of a rep for giving some recipients very real and rather debilitating flu-like symptoms starting 8-12 hours after the 2nd shot, and lasting for another 20 hours or more. Moderna also means a 4-week wait between shots sted of 3 for Pfizer. Efficacy is highest for Pfizer, which has recently been given approval for use in teens here in the states as well.

If a choice between the two exists, an informed, logical decision would be easy to make (by anyone with a modicum of intelligence); if not, take what's available to you.
moldyoldie wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:07 am
Please explain what "middle class" has to do with this.
On behalf of the rest of us who already know where the issue is:

Please don't.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 am

The difference between Moderna and Pfizer is minimal so either one is fine and as far as side effects go I know just as many Pfizer people who have gotten them as Moderna people.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 17, 2021 9:38 am

The middle class is obsessed with brands. Somehow, among the middle class, Pfizer has acquired a cool reputation.

To them, protecting their health is less important than is boasting to their friends on face page that they have the correct vaccine in their arm.

Moderna should make a licensing arrangement with one of the middle class approved brands. They could call it the Tommy Hilfinger vaccine, or Columbia or Starbucks vaccine.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:38 am
The middle class is obsessed with brands. Somehow, among the middle class, Pfizer has acquired a cool reputation.
I believe My Fellow Americans would agree with me that this whole middle class/working class stigma on your side of the border is flat out weird.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 am

I believe My Fellow Americans would agree with me that this whole middle class/working class stigma on your side of the border is flat out weird.

There's no stigma attached to anyone's class. But the class structure does exist on both sides of the border.

During your last election, they were all pitching to the middle class. The only candidate to even acknowledge the working class was Bernie Sanders. But he got it all wrong. He wants them all to undergo some kind of conversion therapy to become middle class.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:28 am

kager wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:28 am
If a choice between the two exists, an informed, logical decision would be easy to make (by anyone with a modicum of intelligence); if not, take what's available to you.
In this case evidently a choice didn't exist since people drove away unvaccinated.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:37 am

In our household I got the Pfizer because that was what was available when my turn came. I had no symptoms other than a little local soreness.
My wife had the Moderna. She developed a rash 7 days after the 1st shot. We didn't connect it and she scheduled an allergy test after visiting our primary care doctor. Then a news story popped up mentioning a rash 7 days later in some Moderna cases. She cancelled the allergy tests.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:17 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 am
During your last election, they were all pitching to the middle class. The only candidate to even acknowledge the working class was Bernie Sanders. But he got it all wrong. He wants them all to undergo some kind of conversion therapy to become middle class.
If any of My Fellow Americans disagree with what I'm going to say, jump in.

To me, Middle Class is nothing more than a vague distinction of how much money you make. Working class is nothing more than ... Surprise ... folks that are working.

Bernie appealed to the folks working at McDonald's making $11 an hour. And Bernie also appealed to Ivory Tower academia pulling in a million a year.

Somewhere between those two income levels is the average wage in America. Is that middle class? I suppose. I don't believe either is really a label over here.

I did Google "definition of middle class in America". For the most part, it's a definition of income. I personally feel what I read was mostly just hokey crap. But that's me.

Having said all that, permit me to ask you something. I have friends that both live in Windsor. Both are union workers at Ford's. Both have a second home. One on Lake St. Clair. One up in Cottage Country north of Toronto. Although I've never asked, I'm confident they make over $100K a year.

So just where would you pigeon hole them? Are they working class? Are they middle class?

One thing I know for sure is that neither one (or any of my friends around Essex) have ever said anything about standing in separate lines at the Libro Credit Union or the RBC.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 17, 2021 8:40 pm

Sounds sort of working class but the Union at Ford is UNIFOR, a pro Corporate, pro Liberal outfit not exactly worthy of being called a real Union

I found out only after I got the shot, it was Moderna. I didn't ask beforehand. Didn't care.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue May 18, 2021 7:01 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:38 am
Hmmm, interesting. Pfizer is the old almost-two-centuries-old establishment brand whereas Moderna is the cool upstart boutique. It would seem that Moderna would be the brand that would appeal to that cool-conscious "middle class" of which you speak, much like Lululemon yoga pants or Apple smartphones. I think your "middle-class" compatriots have it all wrong, T-Top. :8)

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 18, 2021 9:07 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:01 am

Hmmm, interesting. Pfizer is the old almost-two-centuries-old establishment brand whereas Moderna is the cool upstart boutique. It would seem that Moderna would be the brand that would appeal to that cool-conscious "middle class" of which you speak, much like Lululemon yoga pants or Apple smartphones. I think your "middle-class" compatriots have it all wrong, T-Top. :8)

Well, I never like to say they're wrong. I just don't understand them. What to us in the working class seems shallow and pretentious, might be profoundly self affirming to the middle class types.

Could be that Pfizer just has greater brand recognition because of the other blue pill for which they've become famous.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:53 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:17 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 am
If any of My Fellow Americans disagree with what I'm going to say, jump in.

To me, Middle Class is nothing more than a vague distinction of how much money you make. Working class is nothing more than ... Surprise ... folks that are working.
<snip>
I don't get the distinction. Virtually all the "middle class" folks I know still have to WORK to maintain their lifestyle. If they didn't, then I could understand distinguishing them from the "working class". Is "working class" just supposed to be a nicer moniker for "low-income class"?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 18, 2021 11:05 am

Someone posted here a while ago the income ranges for both working class and middle class. There was so much overlap that most of us could claim to be either one.

I choose to be working class and it has nothing to do with my income or the vaccine I was given.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic