Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What Are These?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

What Are These?

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 pm

A train today and it was a long one. As far as I could see in both directions. The train was pulling nothing but flatcars carrying loads of black steel frameworks of some kind, Four on each car. I've seen these before and I always wonder what they are.

The train was travelling from west to east. It must have come from somewhere it had snowed. There were traces of unmelted snow on the load.

http://london.marknmel.com/albums/Rail/ ... .sized.jpg

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Re: What Are These?

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Those are frame flats. They carry large stacks of auto frames when loaded.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 pm

So those things are part of the rail care structure? The cars ar empty?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:27 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 pm

So those things are part of the rail care structure? The cars ar empty?
The cars in the picture are empty, the structures on the cars are what the frames are secured to.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks. I won't have to wonder anymore. :)

kager

Post by kager » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm
Thanks. I won't have to wonder anymore. :)
I would not have come close to being right. Guess I'll stick to beer... :blink

That's gotta be a lot of finger-tappin' the steering wheel if you're stuck at a RR crossing waiting for one of those.

I had to find a picture to help me visualize empty & loaded... best I could find was from a model RR kit seller...

Other angles of that make-believe HO version are here...

https://itlascalemodels.com/products/au ... cf-flatcar

I also had no idea what an expensive hobby HO RRing must be....

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:05 am

kager wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 pm

That's gotta be a lot of finger-tappin' the steering wheel if you're stuck at a RR crossing waiting for one of those.

I was standing on the overpass.

The train wouldn't have been making any money for them hauling an empty load.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:07 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:05 am
Yeah, but gotta get 'em back for another load. I suppose it's like auto carriers. I'll bet Rate would agree, they're empty half the time.

I used to have a job at a place that made truck frames. We would have to measure to make sure they were straight. Often if it was off, we were told to push down on one corner and measure again. For some reason, that place closed.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:33 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:07 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Yeah, but gotta get 'em back for another load. I suppose it's like auto carriers. I'll bet Rate would agree, they're empty half the time.

I used to have a job at a place that made truck frames. We would have to measure to make sure they were straight. Often if it was off, we were told to push down on one corner and measure again. For some reason, that place closed.
They are empty half the time and the customer doesn’t get the cars (which are usually in a pool) back for free.

As for HO railroading... it’s a VERY expensive hobby. I have quite a few myself that I’ve gotten at train shows (just like a gun show except model trains) but new some of the locomotives can run $500 or more depending on what options and realism you want.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:33 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:

They are empty half the time and the customer doesn’t get the cars (which are usually in a pool) back for free.

As for HO railroading... it’s a VERY expensive hobby. I have quite a few myself that I’ve gotten at train shows (just like a gun show except model trains) but new some of the locomotives can run $500 or more depending on what options and realism you want.
Now, I see why friend chases trains rather than had a model set. Good gosh.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:07 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 pm
Rate This wrote:
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:

Now, I see why friend chases trains rather than had a model set. Good gosh.
Yeah it’s wild. Chasing trains is a hobby of mine as well. Cheap and you get time to yourself between them.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Rate This wrote:

You're into model RR? Great hobby. How about posting some pics of your layout.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:36 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:43 pm
Rate This wrote:

You're into model RR? Great hobby. How about posting some pics of your layout.
I wish I had one, I’m pretty good at running the trains and tinkering with the models but layouts are beyond my ability im afraid. I have friends who are very handy with it though and I use theirs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic