Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A nice takedown of that insufferable douche, Elon Musk!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Rate This

Re: A nice takedown of that insufferable douche, Elon Musk!

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:38 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 am
One of these rolling shitbox cars in Michigan when on auto pilot crashed into a parked police cruiser.

I hope the police agency's insurer sends the repair bill to the company.
Autopilot on a Tesla DOES NOT MEAN ITS DRIVERLESS. The person behind the wheel was charged. Whoever is operating the vehicle has to be aware of the situation at all times. It is not designed to let you doze off or read the paper or something.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 am

It's currently easier to choose if, or for what company, you will be a guinea pig / beta tester in the automotive marketplace than say, the computer industry, where we're all lab rats.

On the production side, someone's got to take the chances and bruises along the way of introducing ground-breaking tech. Musk does that, and obviously somehow gets the pass from governments to do so 'off the test track'. If people die in the process deemed 'acceptable risk', that's where I'd direct the ire, and not because he's a douche or alone in making it happen.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
One of these rolling shitbox cars in Michigan when on auto pilot crashed into a parked police cruiser.

Where did that one happen? I saw the one that plowed into the semi in Detroit a couple days ago, but they are saying that was really just the driver screwing around and not autopilot, but the crash results looked eerily similar to the one in Florida a couple years ago.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 am

kager wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 am
It's currently easier to choose if, or for what company, you will be a guinea pig / beta tester in the automotive marketplace than say, the computer industry, where we're all lab rats.

On the production side, someone's got to take the chances and bruises along the way of introducing ground-breaking tech. Musk does that, and obviously somehow gets the pass from governments to do so 'off the test track'. If people die in the process deemed 'acceptable risk', that's where I'd direct the ire, and not because he's a douche or alone in making it happen.
So far, the only folks who have been injured or killed in the Teslas have been Tesla 'fan boys'. We'll see who's really responsible when one does a head-on with a family of four and takes them all out. Then Tesla will have to answer questions in court.

The 'big 3' would have already be crucified if any of their cars have had questionable crashes as have happened with Teslas.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:52 am

km1125 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:26 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

Where did that one happen? I saw the one that plowed into the semi in Detroit a couple days ago, but they are saying that was really just the driver screwing around and not autopilot, but the crash results looked eerily similar to the one in Florida a couple years ago.
There’s only so many ways to shear the top of a Tesla off...

This latest one was Near Lansing yesterday... a car hit a deer and the trooper was angled out into the right lane of the freeway at 1am investigating the situation and the Tesla came along and plowed into him. The 22 year old driver claimed it was on auto pilot but he also had a suspended license so he could have been engaged in some frantic CYA. He was cited for that and failing to move over for a stopped emergency vehicle. I’m surprised he wasn’t arrested.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 729883001/

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:52 am

This latest one was Near Lansing yesterday... a car hit a deer and the trooper was angled out into the right lane of the freeway at 1am investigating the situation and the Tesla came along and plowed into him. The 22 year old driver claimed it was on auto pilot but he also had a suspended license so he could have been engaged in some frantic CYA. He was cited for that and failing to move over for a stopped emergency vehicle. I’m surprised he wasn’t arrested.

Thanks for posting that. I'm surprised that the article started out with "A Tesla on autopilot..." rather than something like "A Tesla the driver claimed was on Autopilot..." (btw... isn't "Autopilot" a proper name due some capitalization when referencing Tesla's version?)

I wonder if Tesla's Autopilot can recognize emergencies on the side of the road and move over or slow down as many state laws require? That question would/should really apply to any autonomous vehicle operation. I've been in several presentations for sw development but don't recall any specific conversations regarding that kind of capability.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 pm
Rate This wrote:

Thanks for posting that. I'm surprised that the article started out with "A Tesla on autopilot..." rather than something like "A Tesla the driver claimed was on Autopilot..." (btw... isn't "Autopilot" a proper name due some capitalization when referencing Tesla's version?)

I wonder if Tesla's Autopilot can recognize emergencies on the side of the road and move over or slow down as many state laws require? That question would/should really apply to any autonomous vehicle operation. I've been in several presentations for sw development but don't recall any specific conversations regarding that kind of capability.
Good question about the emergency vehicles and moving over especially given that it’s a law. But my god... if the trooper is IN THE LANE shouldn’t it be able to figure that out? I don’t think their “autopilot” is capable of doing much more than sounding an alarm about impending doom. I have my doubts about how active it really is at doing it on its own especially in light of this situation. Sounds like glorified cruise control to me. If ever there was an appropriate time for some regulation of deceptive advertising...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:01 pm

MW, you like numbers,

How does the market feel about Tesla compared to general motors?

https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/ ... ion/Ratios

Last time I checked the guys on Wall Street aren't that stupid.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:58 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:01 pm
MW, you like numbers,

How does the market feel about Tesla compared to general motors?

https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/ ... ion/Ratios

Last time I checked the guys on Wall Street aren't that stupid.
It’s a bubble.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm
km1125 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 pm
Rate This wrote:

Good question about the emergency vehicles and moving over especially given that it’s a law. But my god... if the trooper is IN THE LANE shouldn’t it be able to figure that out? I don’t think their “autopilot” is capable of doing much more than sounding an alarm about impending doom. I have my doubts about how active it really is at doing it on its own especially in light of this situation. Sounds like glorified cruise control to me. If ever there was an appropriate time for some regulation of deceptive advertising...
Someone said earlier that the Big 3 would’ve gotten crucified over this 💩. Thing is they’ve already got it figured out. My folks have a 2017 GMC Yukon Denali and a 2021 GMC Sierra, Both vehicles have adaptive cruise control, along with front and rear radar to sense other vehicles. I’ve driven the Yukon with cruise control on. It sensed vehicles in front of me and slowed down without me doing anything. It further would’ve automatically hit the breaks if I got too close too fast.

Tesla can’t figure this 💩 out and gets a pass. Give me a break

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Tesla is little more than a technology company. It’s fashionable for some to own one but most of them are probably toast within 10 years or so. They won’t be the big winners in the electric car race.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:44 pm

They could buy general motors if they wanted to. the one thing I've learned over the years is that whatever works on Wall Street works on Main Street.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:42 am

The true winner in the Electric vehicle race will be the one that overcomes distance issues. Right now ICE vehicles still have a distinct advantage there and when refueling is needed ICE vehicles also have the advantage as gas stations are everywhere and you are in and out in five minutes unless you hit the snack section. The charging network nationwide sucks and it takes too long to charge. Once you can do in an EV what you can do in an ICE vehicle then more people will be willing to switch.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:44 pm
They could buy general motors if they wanted to. the one thing I've learned over the years is that whatever works on Wall Street works on Main Street.
No... they could not buy GM.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:26 am

I have a feeling that one of the big players will eventually buy the vehicle making part of Tesla, work out the bugs and make a quality vehicle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic