Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Judge This Case

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Judge This Case

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 pm

Grievor - Female, age 44

Job Title - Registered Nurse

Rate of Pay - $41.00/hr

Seniority - 19 years

Discipline Record - Spotless

Nature of Grievance - Improper suspension

Remedy sought - Disciplinary suspension stricken from record and full redress for monetary losses

The Employer operates a chain of Nursing Homes across Canada, including the 140 bed facility where the Grievor is employed, in a small south west Ontario town.

On the day of the incident giving rise to the suspension. The grievor was working the third shift and arrived at work at 4:PM.
When she arrived the other nurses were gathered around a gurney near the Nurses Station. One of the residents, Mr. H, a 90 year old lady was in severe medical distress. They had moved her out there so they could watch her.

Being the Senior Nurse on the floor the grievor took charge of the situation. As they worked on the patient the phone rang at the Nurses station rang. The grievor quickly grabbed up the phone. It was the home's new Administrator. She wanted to discuss some new paper work she wanted to introduce to the facility.

The grievor explained what was happening and suggested it wasn't a good time. The Administrator persisted. The crew signaled to the grievor that the crisis was getting worse. She told the Administrator she had to go and hung up the phone.

The grievor made the decision to call for an ambulance to take Mrs H to the hospital. After the ambulance left, the crew on the floor returned to their regular duties.

A short time later the Administrator called the grievor to her office. The Administrator advised her that she was immediately suspended for one week for insubordination.

The grievor left immediately.

Mrs H died later that evening.

The next day, the grievor met with her Union and filed a grievance.

Does the grievance succeed?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Re: Judge This Case

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:13 pm

Yes.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 am

I sure hope so.

But I think there is a twist to this case. Hopefully it's that the administrator faced disciplinary action instead and not that the nurse left her job.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 am

Slam dunk.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:40 pm

The grievance did succeed and it didn't take long. I called the grievor at home. I told her to enjoy her week off and we would deal with it after she went back.

The Company's regional director out of Toronto called and asked me to go up there and meet with him. I told him if he wanted to meet with me, he would have to come down here to meet me with the grievorr present. We agreed to meet the following week at the Home.

At the meeting, he knew his case was weak. He proposed changing the suspension to a verbal reprimand. Normally disciplinary notations remain on an employee's record for six months. He proposed to make it thirty days, provided there was no other discipline during that period. This was clearly a face saving measure for the administrator. In our view, that would just put a target on the grievor's back for the next 30 days.

We countered with Seven days. The seven days were already up and there had been no other discipline, because the grievor had not been at work.The reprimand would have no effect. After meeting privately with his administrator he agreed to our terms.

The verbal reprimand was removed from her record and they cut her a cheque for her lost wages.

By t6he end of that month, there was a new Administrator. The other one was transferred to another location Rumours had it that she had been transferred to our location after getting into trouble somewhere else.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Do you have administrative unions like we have here in the United states?

I would have loved to see the administrator file agreements based on the settlement with the nurses grievance.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 pm

The Administrator was not in a Union. I would be very surprised if any discipline was recorded on her file.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic