Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A Street by any Other Name

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

A Street by any Other Name

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Residents of Trump Avenue in Ottawa have petitioned the city to change the name of their street.-
-
-
-
Ottawa's Trump Avenue could be in for name change

City consulting with residents of Central Park street named after polarizing former U.S. president

Residents of Ottawa's Trump Avenue could soon have a new address, but unlike the erstwhile U.S. president, they're not going anywhere.

Trump Avenue is a quiet street of brown brick single-family homes fronted by wide driveways, nestled in the city's Central Park neighbourhood, just off Merivale Road.

On Saturday, the city began consulting with residents "to ascertain their level of support to rename their street," according to an email from the office of their city councillor, Riley Brockington, who also delivered notices to each home on the street.

According to Brockington, the consultation "follows a number of recent and some older requests to my office" to drop Donald Trump's name, which was adopted long before the New York real estate mogul and reality TV star entered politics, and is in keeping with the neighbourhood's Manhattan theme.

"For years that I've been in office there have been movements to get the street renamed," Brockington told CBC.

"Most recently during the tenure of the last president, that movement has gathered some steam."

Councillor feared 'ramifications'

Brockington said he decided to wait until after Trump left the White House to make a move.

"Frankly, I was worried that there might be some ramifications against Canada if word got out that in Canada's national capital they wanted to take his name off a street sign," he explained.

If residents agree to a change, Brockington says a working group will be formed to come up with a new street name, which may or may not conform to the neighbourhood's Manhattan theme.

That's only the start, however: the newly proposed name must be vetted by all the street's residents, then a formal application process begins. City council needs to sign off, then utilities, emergency services and a host of other interested parties must be formally notified.

Brockington believes the process will take about six months.

Good riddance, residents say

For Kaylee Brooks, who's lived on Trump Avenue for about two and half years, it can't come soon enough.

"At first it seemed like a silly joke, but then the more you live here and the more news that came out about Trump, it was upsetting," Brooks said.

"No one wants to be associated with his name, especially right now, and it would mean the world to me to change it ... because I don't want my official documents to say 'Trump Avenue' when I apply for things."

Bonnie Bowering, who's called Trump Avenue home since 2008, agreed.

"Up until ... this past election, it was sort of a source of humour," Bowering said. "But now it's not funny anymore."

Bowering said she's gotten used to store clerks smirking when she gives her address, but now the name has taken on a much more sinister tone.

"Now he has undermined the whole democratic process ... and he has incited an insurrection," she said.

"Now his status has changed, and I don't think Ottawa, the capital city of Canada, should be honouring him or his name in any way, shape or form.

"He doesn't deserve the honour of a street name."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/t ... -1.5886702

Ottawa is 1478 miles from Niceville

I've been to Ottawa several times, but never to Niceville.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Re: A Street by any Other Name

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 pm

Maybe they can rename it Trudeau Avenue.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:56 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 pm

I'd leave the country if we had a street by that name anywhere.

Maybe they could sell naming rights Toyota Ave. Molson St. Victoria's Secret Lane - - - - -

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:58 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:56 pm
Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 pm

I'd leave the country if we had a street by that name anywhere.

Maybe they could sell naming rights Toyota Ave. Molson St. Victoria's Secret Lane - - - - -
Ahh, so Trump Avenue isn't so bad anymore....

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:06 am

Canadians are weird.
You have to spend a bit of time there to realize it. Be a student. Work there. Have a place in Cottage Country. Something like that. I'm confident if you did, you would agree.
Canadians are odd people.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:08 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:06 am
Canadians are weird.
You have to spend a bit of time there to realize it. Be a student. Work there. Have a place in Cottage Country. Something like that. I'm confident if you did, you would agree.
Many Canadians will say the same thing about Americans. I don't believe that either one is true. We are just two different cultures with different sets of values. One is no better or worse than the other.

Canada's retail landscpe is littered with failed U.S Companies who thought that selling to Canadians would be just like selling to Americans. Retailers like Target and Big Lots learned the hard way that Canadians are different. Lowes is now struggling as is Best Buy.

The only ones who really did it successfully were Walmart and Home Depot. Their pockets were deep enough, they were able to absorb losses for the first few years until they got it right.

Yes, we're both different, but that doesn't make either of us weird.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:08 am
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:06 am
Canadians are weird.
Many Canadians will say the same thing about Americans. I don't believe that either one is true. We are just two different cultures with different sets of values. One is no better or worse than the other.

Canada's retail landscpe is littered with failed U.S Companies who thought that selling to Canadians would be just like selling to Americans. Retailers like Target and Big Lots learned the hard way that Canadians are different. Lowes is now struggling as is Best Buy.

The only ones who really did it successfully were Walmart and Home Depot. Their pockets were deep enough, they were able to absorb losses for the first few years until they got it right.

Yes, we're both different, but that doesn't make either of us weird.
Speak for yourself... Americans are the strangest group the Earth has going...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic