Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Larry King dies

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
matt1

Larry King dies

Post by matt1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:17 am

Former CNN talk show host Larry King dies at 87 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_King

matt1

Re: Larry King dies

Post by matt1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:36 am

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:54 am

The most shocking part of the story.... he got divorced from Shawn a little over a year ago!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm surprised he made it this long. Having a stroke that left him in a coma for weeks, losing two of his children in a span of weeks last year and now COVID. Larry was a fighter.

He made talk shows pretty much what they are today and was the quintessential news talk show host for years.

R.I.P. Larry.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:30 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:43 pm
I'm surprised he made it this long. Having a stroke that left him in a coma for weeks, losing two of his children in a span of weeks last year and now COVID. Larry was a fighter.

He made talk shows pretty much what they are today and was the quintessential news talk show host for years.

R.I.P. Larry.
So are they Figuring COVID is the straw broke the camels back?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:30 pm

R.I.P. Larry.
They haven't released an official cause of death, but I'm guessing that's the reason.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 am

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:52 pm
Rate This wrote:

R.I.P. Larry.
They haven't released an official cause of death, but I'm guessing that's the reason.
May or may not be. Larry struggled with a lot of health issues over the years, including cancer, heart attack and stroke. He was once a chain-smoker, but kicked the habit after suffering a major heart attack and having bypass surgery in his early 50's. That alone probably bought him a few more years he may not otherwise have had.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:21 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 am
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:52 pm
Rate This wrote:

R.I.P. Larry.
May or may not be. Larry struggled with a lot of health issues over the years, including cancer, heart attack and stroke. He was once a chain-smoker, but kicked the habit after suffering a major heart attack and having bypass surgery in his early 50's. That alone probably bought him a few more years he may not otherwise have had.
You realize that you’re saying he would have died exactly now no matter what. I don’t recall anything saying he was on deaths door lately...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:21 pm
You realize that you’re saying he would have died exactly now no matter what. I don’t recall anything saying he was on deaths door lately...
Only God knows the answer to that question. I could wake up feeling great and drop dead of a heart attack before dinner. None of us knows our distance from death's door.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:02 pm
Rate This wrote:
Only God knows the answer to that question. I could wake up feeling great and drop dead of a heart attack before dinner. None of us knows our distance from death's door.
However we can certainly infer that an illness, if it made his health worse, certainly might have sped up the process.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:36 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:10 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:02 pm
Rate This wrote:
However we can certainly infer that an illness, if it made his health worse, certainly might have sped up the process.
Agreed. According to Wikipedia he recovered from COVID but later died of Sepsis as an after-effect of the virus. Assuming that's correct (haven't looked any further into it), it could be correctly ruled a COVID-related death, although indirectly.

Sucky thing about this bug, or any bug for that matter, is what it can leave the body open to after it runs its course. My uneducated guess is that Larry's immune system was pooped after fighting this thing, and may not have had the strength to fend off the next thing to come along. That would make sense given his age and prior health history.

Then again, that's just me speculating. I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV. :razz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic