Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

You Be The Judge

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

You Be The Judge

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Employee: Female, age 33

Job Title – Registered Nurse

Rate of Pay - $44/hr

Seniority – 7 years

Employee Record – Some discipline for activism in the anti-masking movement and for attending large, outdoor protests, unmasked. The Union has filed grievances for the discipline but the grievances are still unresolved

Nature of new grievance – Improper Discharge

The employer operates a chain of nursing homes across Canada. At this location in a small Ontario town, there are 125 residents. Since last March, 73 residents have contracted Covid 19 and there have been 27 deaths.

Particulars in this case:

The Nursing Home has a complex work schedule in order to provide adequate staff coverage at all times.
In the week of Jan 3, the grievor was scheduled off for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Her first scheduled work day was Thursday Jan 7. She reported for work for her shift on Thursday and on Friday.

On Friday, the Administrator learned that the employee had participated in the riot at the US Capitol on Jan 6. She had been seen on TV.

When confronted with this the employee acknowledged that she had been at the riot. The Nursing Home fired her immediately.

The Union filed a grievance alleging improper discharge. Will the grievance succeed?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: You Be The Judge

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 pm

What grounds did they give for terminating her?

the first thing that comes to mind is that she should be in a 14-day quarantine after returning to Canada from the United States. That is a Canada wide public health order.

I would suggest it succeeds.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 pm

Yes. She was fired for failing to quarantine and for exposing residents and staff to possible infection..

She has also been charged under Ontario law for failing to quarantine and could face a $1000. fine.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 pm
Yes. She was fired for failing to quarantine and for exposing residents and staff to possible infection..

She has also been charged under Ontario law for failing to quarantine and could face a $1000. fine.
Goodbye. They, and the families of the people who died and contracted should also file civil charges

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Wow - how awful would it be to be the union rep and have to defend her.

See ya!

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 pm

In this case, the employer is relying upon a legal principle known as "The Doctrine of Culminating Incident.'.

The principle is that if an employee already has a disciplinary record, the employer can, at some point, say "that's it. We've had enough. You're fired.

An arbitrator will uphold the employer's right to fire such an employee. The only qualifying criteria is that the employer must prove that the employee is guilty of committing the culminating incident and that the infraction is worthy of some discipline.
Spitting on the sidewalk would not be a culminating incident but if what the employee did would normally attract some discipline, the employer can escalate the discipline to a discharge.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 am

There are still the two previous disciplinary matters the parties haven't yet dealt with. If I was handling this case for the Union, I'd try to get rid of those. Without them, the employer doesn't have grounds for culminating incident.

I doesn't mean the grievor would get away with what she did. She might even still be fired. But without the prior discipline, the Union might convince the arbitrator to reduce the discharge to a period of suspension.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:26 am

Not being familiar with Canadian laws at all, three questions:

- Could/would the crown take away her nursing license if convicted?
- Can the crown suspend her nursing license while she awaits trial?
- Would the suspension and/or termination of her nursing license be grounds for the employer to terminate her without the union being required to represent her?

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:48 am

I’m gonna say it doesn’t succeed. That sounds like an awfully deep hole she has dug herself.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:47 am

Not seeing the contract, I'm guessing there is a clause about not performing illegal activity on Company property. By violating the providential law regarding 14-day quarantine when she came into work, she did so illegally and is subject to being fired.

Ex-employee will not be coming back.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:54 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 pm

Goodbye. They, and the families of the people who died and contracted should also file civil charges
Agreed.

Also, $44 an hour. How cold is the Detroit River this year? :lol

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 am

Is there a statute of limitation regarding resolution of the prior infractions. Seems to me they would have to resolve those first in order to establish a pattern of repeated offenses. If it's determined that she was aware of company policy and continued to break the rules without regard, the employer would be within their rights to fire her. Her only way out would be if the prior offenses weren't dealt with in a timely manner with regard to the contract (whatever it says about that).

My questions is, how did she manage to cross the border under the current travel restrictions? The trip to DC was obviously not work-related, and it's unclear whether she owns property in the States.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 am

Answers to questions

The Nursing profession in Ontario is self regulating. They all belong to a professional organization, The Ontario College of Nurses. The organization is responsible for the licensing of nurses.

There are time limits to file a grievance and in all cases the time limits were met.

There are also time limits for moving a grievance along but in most workplaces the parties often waive the limits.

There is one big loophole in the Canada / US travel restrictions. They only apply to crossing by land. Not by air or water.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 am
Answers to questions
There is one big loophole in the Canada / US travel restrictions. They only apply to crossing by land. Not by air or water.
Ahh. So I assume a bridge or tunnel would qualify as a land crossing?

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic