Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Meet Gretta

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Meet Gretta

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 pm
Bryce wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm
Bless you, Bryce!

Good looking girl! She looks like a youngin'...any idea how old?
I'm guessing by her size and the condition of her teeth, seven months. She is underweight and it's tough to judge how much her growth may have been stunted due to poor nutrition.
So what's the deal....people know of an abused or mistreated dog and call you, or an organization you're affiliated with? It's just wonderful deeds you are doing.

We got Luna from a rescue organization that grabs dogs before they are about to be put down. In her case they said she had "behavior issues" and because she is a pit, she was minutes from being put down. She's a great dog and it is a great rescue essentially run by 2 women who do it only out of the good of their heart.

People like you who do this are very special.
I have thought about getting a pit, but I live in a condo. Loyal and misunderstood breed. Though I don't know if they would be good as a "first dog" for me.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:55 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm
Good lord is parvo some scary stuff. She's gotta be a strong one.
You're telling me! We had her hooked up to an IV for a week. Thought we lost her twice and then boom, she started to recover.

The Force is strong in this one.
We had one pup go the exact opposite direction while in the animal hospital. Tough stuff.

I really like boxers. I'm partial to small dogs, we just got two Boston Terrier littermates. I always think of Bostons as smaller Boxers. I know, I know, you shouldn't get littermates, but we have managed them decent.

That is one good looking dog though. Pls post more over time.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 am
Bryce wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:
You're telling me! We had her hooked up to an IV for a week. Thought we lost her twice and then boom, she started to recover.

We had one pup go the exact opposite direction while in the animal hospital. Tough stuff.

I really like boxers. I'm partial to small dogs, we just got two Boston Terrier littermates. I always think of Bostons as smaller Boxers. I know, I know, you shouldn't get littermates, but we have managed them decent.

Why are littermates not desirable with dogs? I’ve only got cats and such a situation is usually more desirable if you have more than one cat because they bond and have somebody to play with but I’ve never seen any adverse effects.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 am

Why are littermates not desirable with dogs? I’ve only got cats and such a situation is usually more desirable if you have more than one cat because they bond and have somebody to play with but I’ve never seen any adverse effects.
Littermates are a bad idea, for the average person, because many times instead of bonding with their "people" they form a close bond with each other. To get a dog well trained and socially adjusted, they really need to bond with their humans and look to them for language cues and develop a bonded trust. Having a sibling around makes that difficult.

With siblings, its really important to spend time each day with each dog separately. Training time (which is really bonding time) social time with new experiences, and cuddle time. Most people don't have the time or commitment to do this.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:04 am

This song is dedicated to you:

"Along comes a baby girl, and suddenly my little world,
Just got a whole lot bigger, yes it did.
And people that I barely knew, who love me 'cause I'm part of you
Man it's tough to figure...."

Last edited by audiophile on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:36 pm

I have thought about getting a pit, but I live in a condo. Loyal and misunderstood breed. Though I don't know if they would be good as a "first dog" for me.
Please don't get a pit if you live in a condo. There's a very good chance you will both be unhappy. Especially if you've not had a dog before.

Here are a few suggestions for dogs that will do well with condo living and be forgiving of a first time owner...

Dachshund
Maltese
Bulldog
French Bulldog

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Rate This wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 am
Bryce wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

Bryce is right.

with littermate pups you basically need to apply a full freaking regimen to their lives for the first year and if you have at least one other person in the house, it can be easier but challenging. its like living with 2 magnets that atract to one another and you need to pull them apart. another thing is the bickering. they will fight constantly if you let them. there really isnt an upside to it, but its a good life experience for the pet parent.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:58 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 am
Rate This wrote:

Littermates are a bad idea, for the average person, because many times instead of bonding with their "people" they form a close bond with each other. To get a dog well trained and socially adjusted, they really need to bond with their humans and look to them for language cues and develop a bonded trust. Having a sibling around makes that difficult.

With siblings, its really important to spend time each day with each dog separately. Training time (which is really bonding time) social time with new experiences, and cuddle time. Most people don't have the time or commitment to do this.
Interesting... wouldn’t have thought about it that way.. are these potentially life long problems?

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:38 pm

not at all, unless you have some really big, really unruly dogs. aggression is common because its hard for them to sort out the alpha. so if you have a couple of big dogs they could hurt one another.its mainly behavior.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am

Please don't get a pit if you live in a condo. There's a very good chance you will both be unhappy. Especially if you've not had a dog before.

Here are a few suggestions for dogs that will do well with condo living and be forgiving of a first time owner...

Dachshund
Maltese
Bulldog
French Bulldog
Oh yeah, it's against the condo rules for any dog over 30 lbs. I was just saying I liked pits because they are loyal and passionate just like me.

I am not really a fan of any of those dogs except the French bulldog, but I believe they are over 30 lbs.

May as well wait until I move condos or get a house if I ever do.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 am

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:54 pm
Bryce wrote:

Dachshund
Maltese
Bulldog
French Bulldog
Oh yeah, it's against the condo rules for any dog over 30 lbs. I was just saying I liked pits because they are loyal and passionate just like me.

I am not really a fan of any of those dogs except the French bulldog, but I believe they are over 30 lbs.

Brussels Griffons are a great dog if you live in an apt, I am sure. We had a ton and they were kinda meh about going outside to play. Sure, its all personality, but others had similar experiences with them. They are a good dog for a newbie to dogs, just have H*** personalities. Don't orget about activity too because a lot of small dogs get fat as hell if you dont walk them.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:03 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 am
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:54 pm
Bryce wrote:

Dachshund
Maltese
Bulldog
French Bulldog

Brussels Griffons are a great dog if you live in an apt, I am sure. We had a ton and they were kinda meh about going outside to play. Sure, its all personality, but others had similar experiences with them. They are a good dog for a newbie to dogs, just have H*** personalities. Don't orget about activity too because a lot of small dogs get fat as hell if you dont walk them.
I mentioned a pomeranian, but my dad said, "No, you don't want that dog."

I definitely don't have a ton of money. Not looking to house break a puppy though either.

Audacity sucks.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Update on Gretta. The hard crusty skin condition that she had on her chest, undercarriage and elbow's has cleared up and become supple with daily treatments of olive oil and Bag Balm. Twice weekly shampoos with an anti bacterial has helped and with her new kicked up diet, hair growth in the barren areas has begun.

She was being trained as a sport dog and lived in a kennel her whole life. Learning to go out to potty and not just to do it anywhere she doesn't eat or sleep has been a bit of a challenge. Currently she is at about a 80% success rate. Training has been a little different. The training she received was in the French language, transition to English has been fun. As a bonus, I got to learn some French.

I will post a new picture later when I have time to upload one.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Sounds like she's coming along very well, Bryce. Appreciate the updates.

The censorship king from out of state.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic