Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Teen asks to be tried as white

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Teen asks to be tried as white

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:55 am

Smart kids, looks like it might work.
A courtroom in Tampa, Florida was left shook after a 19-year-old black teenager requested that he should be tried as a white teenager or at least a white man for him to stand a chance inside the courtroom.
Sean Jackson who was appearing in court for gun charges refused to plead before the judge and jury accept his conditions. The 19-year-old said he wanted to be tried as a white teenager and if they can’t give him that they should at least try his as a white man who has a similar record as him.

Jackson believes that he was going to be thrown in jail simply because of his color and he brought a bunch of historic cases that were similar to his and for people with the same records as he has. He pointed out that the white persons were given probation, house arrest, and community service while the black boys and men were given harsh sentences and thrown to jail.

“This data shows that if I go into this trial as a black man I am definitely going to jail. I would like for the judge and jury to study these past cases so they can release that no matter how I plead I am going to be found guilty and given a sentence that is considered fit for a black man by this justice system. So I would like to plead as a white boy or a white man and be tried as such”. Said Sean Jackson.

Jackson only had one misdemeanor charge before he was arrested and given the charges he is currently facing. The court is yet to announce whether it is possible for Jackson to be tried as a white person. The previous court cases and conviction of similar charges to the one his facing had shed light on how race had been playing a big role in Florida courtrooms.
NEA

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

craig11152

Re: Teen asks to be tried as white

Post by craig11152 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 am

What the smart ass really wanted was to be sentenced like a white man if he was found guilty. That is something a judge can quantify and qualify.
To ask a jury to pretend he is a white guy while being tried is just going to piss some of them off.
The guy seems to have a history of bad decisions and this is just another one.

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 am

I think it's a smart move defensively, just to make sure the jury and the judge really consider the sentencing without regard to the individual's race, but there is also no need for them to stay within the parameters established only by those examples he provided. Perhaps the defense counsel should be required to provide case history on many more comparable cases for examination.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:00 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 am
I think it's a smart move defensively, just to make sure the jury and the judge really consider the sentencing without regard to the individual's race, but there is also no need for them to stay within the parameters established only by those examples he provided. Perhaps the defense counsel should be required to provide case history on many more comparable cases for examination.
Or the prosecution can provide their own case examples of white folks having the book thrown at them.

Slippery slope...

Thread Killer

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm

I'd take my chances being sentenced as a white person. This is Orlando. It also sets him up for an appeal if the sentence is too strict.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm

The law is the law. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Buhbye now.

Thread Killer

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:05 pm

UP906 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm
The law is the law. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Buhbye now.
What a cute perspective on how the law works. Is everything you know learned from nifty sound bites?

― Noam Chomsky

UP906

Post by UP906 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:43 pm

Sound bites? Nah, that saying is just one of those common sense things, which you and the kid in question obviously lack.

Thread Killer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic