Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Holidays Don't Mean Much To Me Anymore

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 4520

Holidays Don't Mean Much To Me Anymore

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Retail is a bitch. You ALWAYS have to sacrifice any enjoyment from holidays so others can enjoy it. Retail clerks don't get a lot of respect from customers or upper management. We are not destined to take part in any holiday gatherings or festivities. It's really a shame. IMO, it's not going to kill a store to close for a single day...we're only closed on Christmas. That said, is it really gonna make or break a store to be closed a whole 2 or 3 days out of the year? It's always about the money and not the people. Friends and family aren't gonna be around forever. One day you will be alone and look back at all the times you missed that you could have enjoyed quality holiday time with. With everyone coming up north it makes me realize how much of my life I am missing out on after all these years in retail. I wanna be able to take a vacation and truly enjoy myself for Memorial and 4th of July weekends for example...be a part of the celebration instead of being a robot taking care of everyone but myself. It's mentally and physically draining working most holidays year after year. I don't really care about the extra money, it's really not worth the grief that goes along with it.

Deleted User 15342

Re: Holidays Don't Mean Much To Me Anymore

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:05 pm

The solution is simple, get a different job if you’re not happy at 7-Eleven. There are many opportunities that await you. It’s time for a career change my friend but don’t sit and cry about it, do something. There’s nothing worse than a person in retail that’s not happy with their job. If someone is taking my money, I want them to be happy taking my money. The bottom line is when you accepted the job you knew the job included working holidays, so suck it up that’s how retail works.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:47 pm

Up until now, Ontario retail workers have enjoyed 8 holidays every year on which retailers were required to close for the day. Our Conservative government recently announced that retailers may now stay open for business every day of the year except Christmas Day.

They claim it's to help business get through the Corona virus crisis. It will be permanent long after the virus goes away.

How can it help retail business? If I buy a new fridge the day before Canada Day, I won't go out and buy a second fridge if the store is open on Canada Day

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Why don't you go find something else to do? If you've been running the check out for more than 6 months, start at a bank or credit union.

I have a friend that did just that. Applied at the bank, was told "Go work at McDonald's for six months and run a register, come back and we'll hire you". And she did, and the bank hired her.

Another option is an auto parts store. Not a chain. Find a mom and pop auto parts or hardware. Places like that have short hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday. And you take turns working the Saturday.

And look at jobs on Craigslist. You'll find plenty of Monday thru Friday jobs.
Last edited by Deleted User 14896 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:47 pm
Up until now, Ontario retail workers have enjoyed 8 holidays every year on which retailers were required to close for the day. Our Conservative government recently announced that retailers may now stay open for business every day of the year except Christmas Day.

They claim it's to help business get through the Corona virus crisis. It will be permanent long after the virus goes away.

How can it help retail business? If I buy a new fridge the day before Canada Day, I won't go out and buy a second fridge if the store is open on Canada Day
It helps businesses because people spend money every day, especially on Christmas Day. You know that gift you were supposed to get for someone that wasn’t on the list or that card or that bottle of whiskey for yourself.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:14 pm

There's some good advice here. Ultimately, you have more options than just going to work.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:14 pm
There's some good advice here. Ultimately, you have more options than just going to work.
YesTCTalks, he can collect unemployment checks every week and do nothing. Just think you’ll have all the time in the world to visit friends and family. Bottom feeders are becoming increasingly popular these days especially in the 20 something age group. Most of these kids don’t even care to have a drivers license and why not that’s what Uber and Lyft are there for. Want to eat let’s call Grub Hub, no reason to leave the house and definitely no job required mommy and daddy will take care of it if I can’t get unemployment.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Yes TCTalks, if you’re a liberal you can collect unemployment checks every week and do nothing. Just think you’ll have all the time in the world to visit friends and family.
Plenty of conservatives are doing the same pal...

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:35 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Yes TCTalks, if you’re a liberal you can collect unemployment checks every week and do nothing. Just think you’ll have all the time in the world to visit friends and family.
Plenty of conservatives are doing the same pal...
More so libs.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Force, find a better job if you don't like your current position. And keep getting outside, do you ever get on the Au Sable? I was out there before all this heat, it's great.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 pm

Before more & more national retailers began invading the Grand Rapids area, I can remember many local grocery stores, major department stores, and restaurants being closed on Sunday.

I thought it was a great tradition, personally.

Even MEIJER was closed on Sunday until 1986 or 1987. (Kmart was open Sundays - I think.)

If Mr. Burger is still around, they might still be closed Sundays. Among major chains, Family Fare was the longest holdout. I think they began normal Sunday business hours 15 or 16 years ago.

Kudos to Chick-Fil-A for remaining closed on Sundays!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:57 am

Also kudos to Hobby Lobby for being closed on Sundays! It was nice when most places were closed on Sundays and or closing early. Family Fare is only staying open until 10pm, normally the summer months would be until 11pm. Don't know if this was a Covid-19 decision or not, but likely. Always felt a small store in a small town was pointless being open until 11pm anyways.

I'd rather be working than collecting unemployment even if it means not being happy with my situation. A job is better than no job. I do keep a look out from time to time on Michigan Works, just to see whats out there. I have learned no matter what you do or where you go, you will always have to deal with the same BS.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic