Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Case

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Another Case

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 pm

The Company operates a plant in a small Ontario town, manufacturing fire alarm systems.

Grievor #1 - Female age 33
Seniority – 7 years
Job Title – Assembler
Rate of Pay - $15.66/hr
Employee Record - Good

Grievor #2 – Female age 28
Seniority – 5 years
Job Title – Production Coordinator
Rate of Pay - $17.05/hr
Employee Record – Good

Grievor #3 – Male age 35
Seniority – 12 years
Job Title – Stockroom Clerk
Rate of Pay - $19.45/hr
Employee Record – Good

The plant operates with three shifts. All three of these employees were working the third shift from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
The assembler, one of nine assemblers on the shift, builds circuit boards to be assembled into the fire alarm systems. Before she starts on a particular order, the Production Coordinator sets up the work bench for her and fills the parts bins with the components needed for the job. She gets the parts needed from the stock room.

On the third shift there is only one person working in the stock room. On this evening, the Stockroom Clerk is the husband of the assembler.

About 2:00 AM the assembler advised the coordinator that she was running low on one of the components she needed. The Coordinator told her she would get more from the stock room.

About 40 minutes later she was completely out of the necessary parts and the Coordinator still hadn’t returned. She decided to go back to the stock room to see what the problem was.

When she got there the Production Coordinator was down on her knees giving hubby a BJ.

When the foreman on the shop floor heard the screaming coming from the stock room he went back and found the two women engaged in a screaming, hair pulling, face slapping, clothes ripping cat fight

He sent all three of them home for the remainder of the shift and told them to come back at 11;00 AM when they would learn their fate.

At 11:00 they called in the Production Coordinator first and gave her a one week suspension for fighting.

Next up was the Assembler (the wife) They told her that fighting could not be tolerated and since they viewed her as the aggressor she was fired.

Stockroom Clerk (the husband) was given a written reprimand for improper conduct on the job.

The Union filed grievances for all three. Do they succeed?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 13307

Re: Another Case

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:26 pm

If the foreman testified / made an official statement of what he witnessed (assuming he'd entered the room after all body parts were placed in their proper storage containers by then)

Production coordinator: grievance denied, punishment stands
Assembler: grievance succeeds: she gets her gig back but gets the same one week suspension
Richard the stockroom clerk: grievance denied, reprimand stands. However in the divorce, the 1967 Corvette went to the assembler

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm

With a combined household income of $73 K, there wouldn't be a Corvette.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:02 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm
According to the Production Coordinator, he doesn't need one!

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:47 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm
Well, not a 67. Maybe a 77 or 78.

Btw, is the Production Coordinator looking for other opportunities? Asking for a friend.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:49 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 pm
They called in the Production Coordinator first and gave her a one week suspension for fighting.

Next up was the Assembler (the wife) They told her that fighting could not be tolerated and since they viewed her as the aggressor she was fired.

Stockroom Clerk (the husband) was given a written reprimand for improper conduct on the job.

The Union filed grievances for all three. Do they succeed?
This did not go down as I thought it would as I read your scenario.
I was expecting the Stockroom clerk and Production Coordinator to be terminated for having sex on the job.
Even without a wife in the plant.

The wife catches someone else honking on her husband's bo-bo, and she gets the worse of it? Weird.
I'm thinking if this went to arb, and depending on how well you did, the wife got back with full back pay.
Can't really "worsen" the punishment for the other two at arbitration, but it should stand

How the heck did the husband get nothing but a written warning is very interesting to me. Only three were actually present when he was getting slobbered on. The wife, husband and coordinator. What did the husband tell supervision? Did he throw his old lady under the bus? It would seem to me he's the only third party to the fight that can say who the aggressor was to the fist and cuffs. Supervision wasn't there when it started. Hmmm.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:57 am

Both of the sex combatants lose and the wife gets a suspension but keeps her job. How did the man being serviced not get fired too?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:57 am
Both of the sex combatants lose and the wife gets a suspension but keeps her job. How did the man being serviced not get fired too?
Word has it a few of the gals in human resources wanted to see for themselves why he didn't need a Corvette.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:57 am
Word has it a few of the gals in human resources wanted to see for themselves why he didn't need a Corvette.
Figures... some guys have all the luck :lol

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:24 pm

So, the easiest one first. The Stock Clerk.

We met with the Company. They said all the things you would expect them to say. Serious matter bla bla bla.Sends the wrong message to the other employees bla bla bla. No one mentioned the BJ. No one wanted to. But it was implicit. They gave him credit for not himself getting involved in the melee, but said he should have tried to get them apart.. In the end they said they weren't prepared to reduce the discipline. The written reprimand would stand.

I met privately with the guy afterward. Told him the Company was right. His actions merited some discipline and a written reprimand is almost as minimal as you can get. They could have given him a verbal reprimand but that would have been uncomfortable for everyone involved. I advised him we should withdraw the grievance. He agreed.

Next up, the Production Coordinator. They gave her the usual spiel. Fighting can't be tolerated. The most serious of workplace offences.Once they had her in tears, they eased up a bit. Said the only reason her discipline wasn't more severe was because of consideration for her previous good record.. No,, they were not prepared to reduce the discipline.

I spoke with her afterward. Told her the penalty indeed could have been discharge. If the Company had taken that route we'd have arbitrated and possibly had it reduced but it would be very unlikely that an arbitrator would roll it back to something less than a one week suspension.

I told her that her good record had saved her this time so we should work on getting her record cleaned up again. Their collective agreement said that all disciplinary notations would be removed from the person's record after 12 months.. I suggested to her that we could try to get the Company to remove it after six months. She told me to try that. We made the proposal to the Company that we would withdraw the grievance if they would commit to removing the discipline from her record in six months. They came back and said they would agree to that, provided there were no similar incidents within the six months.

Before discussing the third grievance with the Company, I met with the grievor. I told her that an arbitrator would be very unlikely to uphold a discharge when the other person involved in the fight got only a one week suspension. I said we should just confront the Company with that and see if they would change the discharge to a suspension.

She told me she was so embarrassed and humiliated she didn't want to go back. She just wanted to move on. I told her that if moving on involved getting another job somewhere else, having a discharge for fighting on her record could be a hindrance. Being fired for cause would even disqualify her for Unemployment Insurance. I told her we should try to get her record changed to a layoff. Also, being laid off after seven years of service would entitle her to seven weeks of severance pay. It would cost the Company about $4300, but they would spend at least that much on arbitration and they would probably loose.

When we met with the Company we made that proposal to them. The manager told me he would call me when they decided. He called me the next day and said they were in agreement

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Any idea if the married couple reconciled and stayed that way?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 pm
Any idea if the married couple reconciled and stayed that way?

No idea. That was the last of my involvement with either of them.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:08 am

I think you did a great job as griever here. Good results.

This is honestly the first time I've heard of sex in the plant not being "You're discharged. Both of you".
I'm thinking there was something going on here that you don't know about Turkey.

I wonder if Tim the Toolman wasn't the only one getting slobbered on by the Production Coordinator . She's been honking on supervision too. The company issued knee pads weren't for out on the shop floor. Her initial discipline was way too light for me to think otherwise. Can't discharge her, she'll go tell their ol' ladies.

And the same with the husband. He gets nothing but a written warning? I wonder if what I just said in the last paragraph just may have some truth to it. She's giving head to guys in the back of the tool crib, including the bosses. And they couldn't "spank" the husband too much because he knew too much. Throw him under the bus, he'll start telling their ol' ladies.

This is all just speculation of course. But think about it Turkey. If what I say is true, does the initial discipline dolled out make more sense?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:30 am

The 28-year old was the production coordinator, but the 33 year-old with two years more seniority was just an assembler? Seems there might be a bit more "production coordination" then was official. Obviously she got special treatment here.

I would have fired the production coordinator because she did three things wrong:
1. Didn't do her job of getting the needed parts.
2. Had sex during work time with a higher-level employee
3. Engaged in a fight.

I would the husband and wife both a week off without pay, impropriate conduct on work time, and engaging in fight respectively. The wife's rage was not pre-meditated and not likely to re-occur if the production coordinator was gone.

What a stupid company.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:59 am

The positions the employees held were not ta result of any kind of favouritism. All job openings are posted and awarded to the most senior applicant. The assembler, for whatever reason, had not posted for the more demanding, coordinator job..

The coordinator had sex with a higher paid employee, not a higher level employee. All bargaining unit employees are equal level.

The reason the Company didn't emphasize the sexual angle is because it would have been difficult to prove. There was only one witness, the wife. She may not have been the most credible witness. Having been fired it could be suggested she had motivation to lie.
What a stupid company.
Of course. That's why we need collective agreements.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic