Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Virtual Summer Camp

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
sfpcc

Virtual Summer Camp

Post by sfpcc » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

Has anyone heard of something called Virtual Summer Camp? I guess they are a bunch of kid projects online. I thought the purpose of camp is to get kids outside? (and to give parents some relief) I know another part of camp is new experiences and some of that can be achieved online. I guess if I would want to virtually recreate my camp experience I would listen to Billy Joel's The Stranger every night, (it was 1978 and the counsellors kept playing it in the cabin. The 10 and 11 year olds didn't seem to mind. I also remember hearing Deacon Blue a lot. In retrospect in would have been cool if they played Agents Of Fortune once in a while but I'd have to wait to 1992 to get into that album. Sorry if I seem to digress.)
Last edited by sfpcc on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvert DeForest

Re: Virtual Summer Camp

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Summer camp can mean different things these days. Many camps are outdoor, but not all. Some day camps are held at schools or community centers, where most or all activities are indoor, with maybe some outdoor recess in-between. Kinda like summer school, but more fun. Activities might include music, art, computer graphics, etc.

When I think summer camp, I think Mystic Lake YMCA camp, circa 1978. Just about everything took place outdoors. We played sports, swam, went on hikes, sat around campfires....everything we old-timers associate with a summer camp. I can relate with your music recollections from that period, especially Deacon Blues, which had a lot of airplay in the summer of '78. I remember bringing a radio with me to camp and listening to a lot of AM Top 40. Picked up 1320 WILS all the way west of Clare during the day, and CKLW at night. Nobody walked around with phones. Different time.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic