Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

My First Ever Case

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Re: My First Ever Case

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 pm

The written decision came down about two weeks later. The Arbitrator found that The Company had not brought forward any credible evidence to support the discharge of the employee. He ordered the Company to reinstate the grievor and make him whole for any lost wages and benefits. By then he had already been off the job for five weeks.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:46 pm

As soon as the plant manager read the award he called me. Said he planned to bring the guy back to work Monday morning and asked if I could be there to meet with them.

Monday morning came and we went into the managers office. He said he had received the award and he understood that he had no choice but to put the guy back to work along with paying him for a month's lost wages.

He went on to say the Company no longer wanted him as an employee. He said that if the guy would agree to resign, the Company would pay him seven weeks of severance pay, commensurate with his seven years of Seniority, in addition to the month of back pay they already owed him. A total of about $8800.00

I met privately with the guy. I advised him that he should turn down the Company's offer and go back to work. I also advised him that if he went back to work he would need to make a serious commitment to stop drinking. I told him that if he wasn't willing to make that commitment, he'd better take the money. Otherwise he would just end up fired again and if that happened they would make it stick.

He decided to resign and take the money.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:46 pm
As soon as the plant manager read the award he called me. Said he planned to bring the guy back to work Monday morning and asked if I could be there to meet with them.

Monday morning came and we went into the managers office. He said he had received the award and he understood that he had no choice but to put the guy back to work along with paying him for a month's lost wages.

He went on to say the Company no longer wanted him as an employee. He said that if the guy would agree to resign, the Company would pay him seven weeks of severance pay, commensurate with his seven years of Seniority, in addition to the month of back pay they already owed him. A total of about $8800.00

I met privately with the guy. I advised him that he should turn down the Company's offer and go back to work. I also advised him that if he went back to work he would need to make a serious commitment to stop drinking. I told him that if he wasn't willing to make that commitment, he'd better take the money. Otherwise he would just end up fired again and if that happened they would make it stick.

He decided to resign and take the money.
It’s sad that someone would choose alcohol over their job. Then again, I occasionally deal with folks like this...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:46 pm

He decided to spend some of his windfall putting a new roof on his house. That weekend he fell off his roof, injuring himself so badly, he could never work at any job again. If he's still alive today, he'll be still in a wheelchair.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic