Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Banking in Times of Covid

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 9015

Re: Banking in Times of Covid

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:35 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:27 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:40 pm

Switch to an online bank. I use Ally and SoFi. There really isn't a reason to go into a branch anymore.

I do most of my banking online. But there are some transactions can only be done in person, face to face.
Like what though?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:46 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:35 pm

Like what though?
Like depositing to or withdrawing cash from my US Dollar account.

Like going in every December to get the new desk calendar for next year.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:36 am

Yeah that's my main issue is, what if I want to deposit cash or a check? If I withdrawal from an ATM with one of those online banks, am I going to get reimbursed for ATM fee's?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:48 pm
Pandemic's over. Everything back to normal. Equal inconveniece for all. We all have to line up together.

Today, while in line, the woman behind confided to me that she works in the morgue, I'm pretty sure I didn't need to know that

Maybe she felt she had to tell me that, just to establish her working class bona fides.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:50 am

In reality, most corporations want the working class to use automated options found on smartphone apps. They are making it very difficult for the traditional interactions that require staff.

It's all around us, self check-out, atms, and soon you will buy a car online.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:26 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:36 am
Yeah that's my main issue is, what if I want to deposit cash or a check? If I withdrawal from an ATM with one of those online banks, am I going to get reimbursed for ATM fee's?
No way. I love my credit union and still want them to be there for the handful of times I go there during the year. There are still some businesses where cash is easier. I am referring to gas stations and places like Checkers who have a real issue with swiping people’s cards for unauthorized transactions with their workers.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:25 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:50 am
In reality, most corporations want the working class to use automated options found on smartphone apps. They are making it very difficult for the traditional interactions that require staff.

It's all around us, self check-out, atms, and soon you will buy a car online.
The flaw in that logic is that it's the middle class that has the smart phones and aps. That's why, during the pandemic, they got preferential service, while the working class had to line up ,outside in the rain.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:30 pm

I understand, but also, it’s your age and choice. I work with the homeless and everyone, except for 2 or 3 that we serve, have smartphones. There’s even a free cell plan for them because it is such a necessity.

Smartphone are 50 buck these days and if you use it on WiFi, you don’t even need a cellular plan.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /927029849

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:41 pm

Well, I suppose middle class people can end up homeless and wouldn't have a kitchen wall for their phone to be mounted to.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:21 pm

I am suggesting that not having a smartphone is a matter of choice not financial circumstance. If you are purchasing a new vehicle every 3 to 4 years, you can afford an inexpensive tool to interact with most of the corporations in North America.

Many homeless are infact under employed members of the working class.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:10 am

When we were in Florida, with a hurricane bearing down on us, I went out and bought a cell phone. It cost damned near $100. but I thought I might need it. Luckily, the storm veered off at the last minute so I didn't need it.

I made exactly one call on the phone. When we landed back in Detroit, I called our shuttle Company to pick us up. I could have made the same call on a pay phone, if such a thing still existed.

So I just allowed the plan to lapse after the first month. I dropped it off at the electronics recycling about a week ago. The end of my middle class times.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:10 am
When we were in Florida, with a hurricane bearing down on us, I went out and bought a cell phone. It cost damned near $100. but I thought I might need it. Luckily, the storm veered off at the last minute ao I didn't need it.

I made exactly one call on the phone. When we landed back in Detroit, I called our shuttle Company to pick us up. I could have made the same call on a pay phone, if such a thing still existed.

So I just allowed the plan to lapse after the first month. I dropped it off at the electronics recycling about a week ago. The end of my middle class times.
I’ll be sure to tell the next homeless guy I see with a phone that he’s middle class.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:10 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 am

I’ll be sure to tell the next homeless guy I see with a phone that he’s middle class.
You won't need to tell him. If he's middle class, he'll know it already. Middle class people are proud of their status and wear their phone like a badge of honour.

If that shopping cart full of belongings he's pushing around has clothing with the brand logos on the outside, if it has sandals but no socks, if it has opaque sunglasses made to be worn on top of the head, then he knows he's middle class.

One of them stopped me one day in front of Starbucks. He paused his texting and asked me if I could give him some money so he could get a coffee at Starbucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:10 am
Rate This wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 am

You won't need to tell him. If he's middle class, he'll know it already. Middle class people are proud of their status and wear their phone like a badge of honour.

If that shopping cart full of belongings he's pushing around has clothing with the brand logos on the outside, if it has sandals but no socks, if it has opaque sunglasses made to be worn on top of the head, then he knows he's middle class.

One of them stopped me one day in front of Starbucks. He paused his texting and asked me if I could give him some money so he could get a coffee at Starbucks.
People that wear socks with sandals are mentally ill.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:38 pm

You likely just insulted 22% of the posters on this board without even realizing it...

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic