Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Making work at home permanent

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Re: Making work at home permanent

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 14, 2020 7:53 pm

1941. That is the oldest Diesel fueled parlor coach in the US...

This bus took thousands of boys to WWII.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 7:57 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:53 pm

This bus took thousands of boys to battle in WWII.
Ah it’s a PD-3751... very nice. Do you have any idea as to it’s identity as a coach?
Last edited by Rate This on Thu May 14, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:57 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Ah it’s a PD-3751... very nice.
Nope, it's Pre GMC.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:57 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Ah it’s a PD-3751... very nice.
Nope, it's Pre GMC.
Oh ok it’s a Yellow. So I’m guessing PD2901 or PD2902? If we had the serial number we could probably figure out exactly which Greyhound division it was assigned to using the fleet number that corresponds, unless you’ve already narrowed that down of course. I always find the historical side of this stuff interesting.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Pacific Greyhound Lines #806 later sold to Pennsylvania Greyhound. Not a 2900 series, they were transit buses and they were Gas powered..

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Me personally, I could do half of my job from home - if I had a proper work space, which I don't. The other half I pretty much have to be at my shop.

I know opinions on this probably vary a lot, but even before the pandemic I was worried that people in society as a whole were becoming more isolated, à la, due to the rapid transition away from personal interaction and towards smart phones. Migrating large portions of our economy away from the workplace and into the home would only accelerate that move. My gut feeling is that doing this en masse would be a net negative for society. I don't want to live in a world where so many people are so withdrawn from the world.

Plus, I don't know how healthy it is to be cooped up at home for such a large percentage of your life. Even for people who don't get a lot of exercise, the mere act of at least getting up, getting ready for work, and going to work requires at least some amount of exercise. People who are borderline lazy to begin with aren't necessarily going to get this now-lost exercise via other methods.

Lastly, is it healthy for married people to spend THAT much time together?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 9:23 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm
Pacific Greyhound Lines #806 later sold to Pennsylvania Greyhound. Not a 2900 series, they were transit buses and they were Gas powered..
Very nice, thanks for answering my question!

Was kinda thinking it would be interesting to have an mobile office... like say an insurance agency... need a quote? He’ll come to you...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:23 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Was kinda thinking it would be interesting to have an mobile office... like say an insurance agency... need a quote? He’ll come to you...
I have a friend who is CTO of a national parts distribution network. He went work at home March 23rd and is currently out west somewhere while his office is in Indianapolis. The 5G technology matched with 10kw of solar really makes for quite an Off the Grid solution. He got the company to pay for his fuel and travel because he showed up to their Broomfield Colorado data farm for an inspection in the last week of April. I thought that was particularly brilliant. Now I think he's in Jackson Hole.

Here's a photo of mine that appeared on the internet shortly after we rescued it. It had been parked for 32 years. It can cruise all day long at 68 miles an hour, gets 12 mpg.

Here's a photo at the front where I found it.

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 am

Is that galvanized or aluminum?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 am
Is that galvanized or aluminum?
Anodized aluminum siding, 100% Aluminum unibody construction. The only steel is the drive train and mounting cradle.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 15, 2020 9:27 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:23 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I have a friend who is CTO of a national parts distribution network. He went work at home March 23rd and is currently out west somewhere while his office is in Indianapolis. The 5G technology matched with 10kw of solar really makes for quite an Off the Grid solution. He got the company to pay for his fuel and travel because he showed up to their Broomfield Colorado data farm for an inspection in the last week of April. I thought that was particularly brilliant. Now I think he's in Jackson Hole.

Here's a photo of mine that appeared on the internet shortly after we rescued it. It had been parked for 32 years. It can cruise all day long at 68 miles an hour, gets 12 mpg.

Here's a photo at the front where I found it.
68? Not bad... the modern coaches are governed at around 70 or so... that one looks cooler, might as well use it instead :blink

What your friend did is rather brilliant...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 15, 2020 9:48 am

Where do you think this one is headed? 5G and solar capacities are a complete game changer. There is a guy working on an all electric bus too. These are so light (15,000 pounds without the engine or transmission) and are powered by a 200hp engine, it's not an unreasonable idea. Hook a motor to the drive shaft and you are off...

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic