Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Masks In Public

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 4520

Masks In Public

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:11 am

How do you feel about being required to wear a mask in stores? If you are medically able to I think you should. I’m a cashier and when customers aren’t wearing a mask I feel it’s a slap in the face to those essential workers there that serve them. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn’t. But regardless the placebo effect is comforting. By not wearing them it's like saying, hey I'm selfish and don't care about anyone else's health but my own. While stores have the legal right to refuse those not wearing a mask, most will not because they don't wanna lose a sale. So there is plenty of blame to go around. No shoes, no shoes, no mask, no service.

Turkeytop

Re: Masks In Public

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 10, 2020 11:05 am

My wife made masks for us. When she's with me she makes me wear it. When I'm on my own, I generally don't. But your post here has shown me a new perspective. I'll start using it.

We live in a quiet residential neighbourhood and I see people out for a walk wearing masks. I wonder what the purpose of that is.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am

I've begrudgingly worn a homemade mask most of the time I'm going into a building. I went into an establishment this morning to pick up an online order and forgot to throw the dumb thing on and was informed that I had to wear a mask. I said that on the online order I was unable to leave a tip and wanted to make sure they got the tip. They willingly took the $10, which is interesting considering currency is one of the most disgusting, germ-riddled object that one can come in contact with.

On another note, the one way aisles in stores are a good idea, but they are blatantly ignored.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:28 am

I wear one out of respect for those around me.

I did notice the first time I went out for a masked walk around the neighborhood that I quickly became short of breath. I had to expose my nose to get enough air to keep going. I pulled the mask up and practiced social distancing whenever I saw anyone approach.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:31 am

I'm in the same boat, wear them. I believe the initial information about them, that they are much more effective for those that are sick. In public, it makes sense to wear one to be a good citizen. For a worker, you have to face a lot of people and suspect that everyone is sick.

Unless you're sick, I think it's worse for you to wear one outside or in your car by yourself or with a healthy member of your household.

The one-way aisle thing is silly. That prolongs my shopping time and possible exposure having to enter aisles I'm not buying anything from. Also having to walk down an entire aisle for something at the opposite end of the start point. Let me be the most efficient as possible so I can get in and out ASAP. Look up viral load - it's all about prolonged exposure.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:52 am

It is difficult having to wear a mask all day long at work. But being in contact with hundreds of people everyday you just never know. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Even so, we are required to wear them anyways. In my OP, that is my view from the standpoint of being an essential worker. We are literally risking our health and not seeing people showing a little respect is disheartening.

The one-way isles are a joke. Nobody follows them anyways.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 am

I thank you! 8)
Turkeytop wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:05 am
My wife made masks for us. When she's with me she makes me wear it. When I'm on my own, I generally don't. But your post here has shown me a new perspective. I'll start using it.

We live in a quiet residential neighbourhood and I see people out for a walk wearing masks. I wonder what the purpose of that is.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun May 10, 2020 11:55 am

I have a cloth mask, very comfortable, N 95 masks, not so comfortable and surgical type masks which I use most of the time. Since I am in a high risk category I was using them before anyone suggested it. I see very few people not using them anymore which is good.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun May 10, 2020 12:02 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:52 am
It is difficult having to wear a mask all day long at work. But being in contact with hundreds of people everyday you just never know. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Even so, we are required to wear them anyways. In my OP, that is my view from the standpoint of being an essential worker. We are literally risking our health and not seeing people showing a little respect is disheartening.

The one-way isles are a joke. Nobody follows them anyways.
Smoke breaks should not be happening right now, yet I've seen it happening on several occasions.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 10, 2020 12:13 pm

My wife always wears hers, but she complains that it makes her glasses fog up.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm

I don't use a mask when hiking, but hikers can pass each other 20' apart.

I haven't been in a store that doesn't require a mask yet. Walmart and Menards are the way to seed these days.

My daughter witnessed a family of 5 being turned around and exited at our Meijer for trying to stage a mask protest. Stores have the right to refuse service to anyone.

I found a bunch of N95 in my shop. They are also found at Staples. They work the best.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kager

Post by kager » Sun May 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Early adopter, as wife is a nurse... and in those earlier days, wearing one in the store had a distancing factor as well:

Most people who saw me wearing a mask made a concerted effort to move away from me.

Now, most people I've seen are wearing masks, and the efforts are to move away from those who don't.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:58 pm

The struggle is real! Even worse when I'm working in the cooler.
Turkeytop wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:13 pm
My wife always wears hers, but she complains that it makes her glasses fog up.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:34 pm

When you're around other folks - particularly indoors - it's a good idea to use one. The better the mask and the better the fit, the better they protect you and others, but even a homemade one is better than nothing. If even a poor one only traps 10% of the air, that's a 10% chance you're getting no virus but even a much larger chance you're getting a much lower viral dose if you do encounter one.

If your glasses fog up, that's a sign that it's not fitting well and leaking around the mask offering much less protection to you and others. If you don't have the metal band that conforms to your nose it is more likely to happen. If you form it properly around your nose then the exhaled air goes out though the mask instead up up into the glasses.

If you're sick and there's nobody around, you SHOULD NOT be wearing a mask. The mask is there to trap exhaled virus particles (virons) to prevent others from getting sick. If you're sick and you're exhaling them into the mask, then you're inhaling them back into your lungs, potentially infecting other areas of your lungs. You'd rather cough or sneeze those virons into a disposable tissue and dispose of it.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:37 pm

I don't wear a mask outdoors unless mowing. Lately I haven't been in any crowded outdoor areas anyways.

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm
I don't use a mask when hiking, but hikers can pass each other 20' apart.

I haven't been in a store that doesn't require a mask yet. Walmart and Menards are the way to seed these days.

My daughter witnessed a family of 5 being turned around and exited at our Meijer for trying to stage a mask protest. Stores have the right to refuse service to anyone.

I found a bunch of N95 in my shop. They are also found at Staples. They work the best.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic