Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Howard Hughes-Inventor Of Social Distancing

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Howard Hughes-Inventor Of Social Distancing

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am

It turns out that Howard Hughes wasn't as crazy as people thought. He can now be remembered as the "Inventor Of Social Distancing".

I remember when I was young, hearing that germs didn't live on surfaces for very long. Now, we're hearing that certain germs, presently coronavirus, can live on many types of surfaces for weeks or months. I remember when people who got Venereal Diseases, now called STDs, claimed that they got it from toilet seats. Now, it doesn't seem so crazy, does it?

When the Polio epidemic started, it was said to spread in swimming pools. Trash day had people throwing out their above ground swimming pools and child mini pools in droves. Public pools soon became empty, until a vaccine was found.

When the AIDS epidemic started to look like everybody was going to get it, which was mainly political and didn't reflect reality, there were all kinds of studies that concluded that HIV could live on surfaces for weeks or months. Theoretically, you could get it that way, but much more efficient means of transmission accounted for 99+% percent of AIDS cases. Then, inevitably, this was studied with other viruses, including cold and flu viruses. Turned out that they all could live much longer on surfaces than we were told and thought. Also, bacteria like Staph, MRSA (a form of Staph) and C Diff were found to live on surfaces a long time. And they were ubiquitous, and could be cultured and grown from swabs of surfaces nearly everywhere.

All of the recommendations about coronavirus sound like the things that were done by and attributed to Howard Hughes, which were later called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or just plain "crazy".

Howard Hughes should now be remembered as the Inventor Of Social Distancing, in addition to his many other noteworthy accomplishments.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug05/hughes

Howard Hughes-he doesn't seem so crazy any more, does he? See what you get for name calling?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Calvert DeForest

Re: Howard Hughes-Inventor Of Social Distancing

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:40 am

I would guess Hughes' immunity was probably shot toward the end of his life. The immune system needs a certain level of exposure to germs in order to build itself up. Without such exposure, it weakens to the point where the slightest infection could prove fatal. Makes as much sense as sitting on the couch all day to strengthen your calf muscles.

Not to mention the psychological damage caused by living in total isolation. There's a reason why prisons use solitary confinement as an extreme form of punishment.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:08 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:40 am
I would guess Hughes' immunity was probably shot toward the end of his life. The immune system needs a certain level of exposure to germs in order to build itself up. Without such exposure, it weakens to the point where the slightest infection could prove fatal. Makes as much sense as sitting on the couch all day to strengthen your calf muscles.

Not to mention the psychological damage caused by living in total isolation. There's a reason why prisons use solitary confinement as an extreme form of punishment.
Then I guess you are a proponent of Donald Trump's Plan To Reopen The Economy? Much of what you say is true. But I think we should go beyond using State Lines to determine who and when we reopen. County Lines and perhaps Township and Municipal lines should determine this. In Michigan, for example, the coronavirus epidemic is mainly concentrated in Southeast Michigan. The Michigan counties North of a line from Pentwater to Pinconning should be opened up sooner rather than later. And landscaping will soon become a crisis when lawns are overgrown. Some simple rules should open this up state wide by next week to avoid further crises. Mice, rats, insects (mosquitoes are a common disease vector), and other vermin thrive in long and wet grass. These vermin spread disease.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:55 pm

I always thought Susquatch was the original distancing type.

A side note, my late uncle worked for Hughes on the Spruce Goose. He said that his boss would call in the middle of the night to tell him to come in because Howard had an idea he wanted tested.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic