Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Thoughts about work amid Covid-19 crisis

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 4520

Thoughts about work amid Covid-19 crisis

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:04 pm

With all this Covid-19 crap, I have been often wondering about changing my line of work as to not be classified as "essential" anymore. I don't wanna deal with anything like this again. Not only that but honestly I've been quite bored. I've been in retail for 21 years between two different grocers and it's really all I know. I have zero clue as to what I would want to do. High school is all the education I have, class of '96. Not that I would necessarily leave, I just often think about it more and more.

Rate This

Re: Thoughts about work amid Covid-19 crisis

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46 pm

TheForce wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:04 pm
With all this Covid-19 crap, I have been often wondering about changing my line of work as to not be classified as "essential" anymore. I don't wanna deal with anything like this again. Not only that but honestly I've been quite bored. I've been in retail for 21 years between two different grocers and it's really all I know. I have zero clue as to what I would want to do. High school is all the education I have, class of '96. Not that I would necessarily leave, I just often think about it more and more.
Any number of things... but a lot of them are essential... you could probably do some warehouse or delivery work for say Amazon... that’s gonna minimize your human contact.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 am

You say you've been in retail for 21 years. So I'll assume you've been handling cash.
You shouldn't have a problem getting a job at a bank or credit union. Now as far as pay comparison, I have no idea what that sort of thing pays.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:14 am

Yes, I do handle cash as a cashier. Customer service is just a drag, especially with the onslaught of this virus. Doesn't help we're understaffed. It's busy enough now like it's like summertime busy but without the help.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 am

TheForce, any thoughts about taking college classes? At a local community college you could take a class or two at a time instead of a full load. Having some college will give you an advantage over someone who doesn't in the job market. If you have an interest in a trade, some schools do certifications. If nothing else, you could work for a degree in general studies.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 am

Hopefully our internet infrastructure is sound enough to handle the increased traffic. More people are working and/or taking classes online. Streaming services are being used more for entertainment, teleconferencing and video chat. People are opting more for electronic fund transactions in lieu of cash. All of this stuff relies on a functional internet with sufficient capacity to handle the extra traffic. Despite the negative effects of the pandemic on our economy, I can see the IT field as one area where job growth is likely to flourish under the current circumstances and beyond.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:48 am

It's going to devastate the commercial real estate market.

Millions of people are working from home who didn't do that a month ago. Many of them had been told that it was impossible for them to work from home. Guess what?

How long will management let it go before they decide they don't need to pay expensive rent for office space they no longer need?

This might also make it possible for those who find it difficult or impossible to leave their homes because of disability a chance to demonstrate that they can be "productive" members of society by working from home.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:48 am
It's going to devastate the commercial real estate market.

Millions of people are working from home who didn't do that a month ago. Many of them had been told that it was impossible for them to work from home. Guess what?

How long will management let it go before they decide they don't need to pay expensive rent for office space they no longer need?

This might also make it possible for those who find it difficult or impossible to leave their homes because of disability a chance to demonstrate that they can be "productive" members of society by working from home.
I was watching a video talking about how this may fundamentally alter the way we work and greatly accelerate the work from home models take over of workplaces...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:13 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am

I was watching a video talking about how this may fundamentally alter the way we work and greatly accelerate the work from home models take over of workplaces...

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:35 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:13 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am

:lol

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:56 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 pm

So I heard the Governor say stores must limit the amount of patrons at a time according to their size. I haven't been back to work yet and I would be curious to see how they plan on enforcing this. Should be interesting...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Our local supermarket says they are limiting shoppers inside the store to 25 % of their normal capacity. Couples are not allowed to go in together. Only one can enter. I told my wife, either she can stay in the car while I shop, or I can wait in the car while she goes in. She wants to go in.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:41 am

Neither of you should be going into store without a N95+ mask.

Better use curbside pickup. Order here: https://www.walmart.ca/en/stores-near-m ... entre-3050

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic