Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

facebook

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

facebook

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:58 pm

I have never in my life used facebook. I have zero interest i ever using facebook. Yet, today I got this e mail.
Welcome to facebook. Your account has been created — now it will be easier than ever to share and connect with your friends and family.

Here are three ways for you to get the most out of it:
How can this be? I've never asked to have an account opened. Is someone allowed to create an account for me, without my permission?

I took no action. I just closed up the e mail and deleted it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

F-Squared

Re: facebook

Post by F-Squared » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am

There are two possible explanations for this:

1. Someone made an account under your email

If this is the case, you can simply ignore this email and it will never be verified.

Or 2. It's not a real email and it's a phishing email masked as an email from Facebook.

If you don't receive any kind of verification email, this is more likely. Definitely go back and check the address that sent the email, the encryption of it, and do not click on any links the email gives you.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 am

Our pastor had a sermon about Facebook.

TT would have loved it.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Whatever you do do not click o any links as they may well have a virus attached to them.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:45 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 am
Our pastor had a sermon about Facebook.

TT would have loved it.
If he mentioned sinners, he was talking about me. :blink

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:54 pm

We used to call it Narcissism, now we just call it Facebook.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 14896

Fecebook

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:00 pm

F-Squared wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am

If this is the case, you can simply ignore this email and it will never be verified.

Or 2. It's not a real email and it's a phishing email masked as an email from Facebook.

If you don't receive any kind of verification email, this is more likely. Definitely go back and check the address that sent the email, the encryption of it, and do not click on any links the email gives you.
I'm thinking it's Option 2. Fake email. Possibly like F-Squared says, someone thinking you already have an account, and wants to phish for your username and password.

And Turkey, don't worry about Facebook. You really are not missing anything.
I have it, and I get on it a time or two a day.
But really why? It's for me anyway, nothin but a big time suck.
Get on there, scroll thru crap that not really meaningful, log off and realize there's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
It's funny but about the most useful information I get off it is finding out someone I know died.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 pm

A strange thing about the e mail, it showed me a list of names and photos of people with whom I could make contact via facebook,. Most of them were people I know, including family members.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:54 pm
We used to call it Narcissism, now we just call it Trump.
Fixed it

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:54 pm
We used to call it Narcissism, now we just call it Trump.
Fixed it
:rollin

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:38 am

Facebook is pure poison, Mine is deactivated but I still use messenger. The endless drama, people posting meaningless crap, everything turns into a fight, and well... there are some things I would of rather had not found out. It cost me, in part, a friendship and a falling out with someone else.

Facebook is also a big time waster and gives one a false sense of reality. I woke up one day, this past summer and I thought " why I am putting myself through this?" " This is too big for its own good" , I was going to delete it but the thing is, if I did there would be some people I would lose contact with, when I found out you could deactivate your account but keep messenger, I thought that would be a good compromise.

Still, if you have never had a FB account, Don't get one!

kager

Post by kager » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:36 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 pm
A strange thing about the e mail, it showed me a list of names and photos of people with whom I could make contact via facebook,. Most of them were people I know, including family members.
If a little chat with Ms. TT didn't turn anything up, there are some good insights as to the how & why someone may get a 'Welcome to FB...' message here (read it all - it's quick):

https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... out-steali

In a nutshell, if your email address really is attached to an account you didn't create, they recommend going directly (not via any email links) to FB to login, using 'forgot password' to change the password, then logging in and deactivating the account.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Agree with 106.7. You can't post anything anymore without it turning into politics. I don't remember it being AS bad 10 or so years ago. Go ahead and post "the sky is blue" and I'll bet within 30 minutes it'll look like a thread in PolPot. I try and stuck to dumb memes or music and even that stirs up trouble.

Then there's people that are there SIMPLY to bag on politics. I'll post music, memes, jokes, family photos, regular photos, recovery statuses, you name it, and nothing. But I swear, if I just type "Trump", here they come out of the woodwork. It's like, how in the hell are we even friends on here? What, because I sat 2 rows over from you in one class in 2001? I'm not even sure why I'm on it anymore. All it serves to do is raise my blood pressure. That's what I have PolPot for ;)

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:33 am

F-Squared wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am

More likely it's #2. Phishing scams have become more sophisticated. Many use company headers and authentic-looking email addresses to trick into clicking a malicious link.

My credit union has issued fraud alerts in the past concerning phishing emails that steal their graphics to make it look official. I got one of those emails once, asking to confirm my account number and SSN. Called the CU immediately and confirmed it was a fraud. They would never ask for such information by phone or online, especially since they already have it on file.

Hackers often spoof platforms like Facebook and Google to trick users into entering their login info. Once in, they can hijack the user's account, change the password and lock them out, basically giving them full access to the account and the user's online identity. Not to mention clicking on any link from an unverified source could potentially install background malware on one's machine, giving bad actors access to the unsuspecting victim's hard drive and all the data contained therein without them even realizing it.

Scammers can spoof email addresses as easily as they can spoof phone numbers. Most email platforms have an option to check message properties and see the actual address of origin. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the email TT received did not come from Facebook.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Both of our sons work in tech. One of them explained it to me. It's legitimate but very sneaky. Someone in my acquaintance has my name and e mail address in their contacts list on their smart phone. They use that phone to access their face page. Facebook then goes in and scoops up their contacts list. When it finds someone on that list who doesn't have an account, it creates one for them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic