Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Matt

What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm

We've been ordering takeout and beer from local restaurants and breweries and tipping generously. We have to do our part to help these small businesses survive. There are also several ways to help displaced service workers through GoFundMe sites.

At my work, we've scaled back staff in the office and I'm currently working a hybrid schedule, split between home and office. Most are now working 100% remote and awful videoconferencing is getting less awful as we adapt. We've also been helping supply staff with needed, hard to get items.

At home, long set aside projects are getting worked on, and we are making time for leisure activities too. We just started season 3 of F is for Family last night. I think season 3 of Ozark is available next week - definitely looking forward to that.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Re: What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Let's see...

Bought a keg for my kegerator from my favorite brewer. A group of my neighbors have a coop where we swap sterilized growlers of each other's beer.

I support local farmers buying eggs, meat and various crops.

I bought a sandwich at the best sandwich place in town.

I am continuing to use our local food coop. Most of what I purchased was produced locally, including the sugar and flour.

To stay busy, I am performing the strategic planning for our coordinated community effort to keep the 200 homeless in the community safe. I also am a leader at one of the shelters. I have hired staff recently displaced and spent more than $13,000 in goods and services locally.

I also swapped the winter tires at my shop, and put in some time on the gas tank replacement on a vintage Audi.

I have been reading some books but haven't watched much TV.

That's this week.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 24

Re: What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Drove to Grosse Pointe to buy a couple slices of cake from a friend's restaurant.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm

A lot of riding my bike, both on the trail and also on the streets for errands.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 am

A friend is a ER Doctor at one of the area hospitals. They have a extreme shortage of masks for their staff. They will run out today. We have located the material necessary to make N 95 masks and currently have six family members with sewing machines making masks for the hospital staff.

Please note, the Federal Government, nor the State of Michigan, is involved with this particular solution to a problem.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 am
A friend is a ER Doctor at one of the area hospitals. They have a extreme shortage of masks for their staff. They will run out today. We have located the material necessary to make N 95 masks and currently have six family members with sewing machines making masks for the hospital staff.

Please note, the Federal Government, nor the State of Michigan, is involved with this particular solution to a problem.
It doesn’t really sound like there is the time for anything but last ditch efforts there...

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm
I plan to be doing that as soon as the weather here in Michigan warms up a bit.

As for keeping busy, I'm trying to retain some sense of normalcy by still being at my place of work (my own small business) during my regular hours, even though I'm closed to the public. I'm instead spending my time here building computers to sell online, taking occasional breaks to check in here on these forums.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm
I plan to be doing that as soon as the weather here in Michigan warms up a bit.

As for keeping busy, I'm trying to retain some sense of normalcy by still being at my place of work (my own small business) during my regular hours, even though I'm closed to the public. I'm instead spending my time here building computers to sell online, taking occasional breaks to check in here on these forums.
And while some of us don’t agree with you and do so vehemently... I think I can speak for most of us in being glad you are still doing ok and are keeping busy and of course giving us something to discuss which helps us not go stir crazy. :)

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Drinking beer and whiskey. Best I can do to cope.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 pm

TheForce wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Drinking beer and whiskey. Best I can do to cope.
Amen, brother! You've got some great beer near you too!
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:29 pm
Let's see...

Bought a keg for my kegerator from my favorite brewer. A group of my neighbors have a coop where we swap sterilized growlers of each other's beer.

I support local farmers buying eggs, meat and various crops.

I bought a sandwich at the best sandwich place in town.

I am continuing to use our local food coop. Most of what I purchased was produced locally, including the sugar and flour.

To stay busy, I am performing the strategic planning for our coordinated community effort to keep the 200 homeless in the community safe. I also am a leader at one of the shelters. I have hired staff recently displaced and spent more than $13,000 in goods and services locally.

I also swapped the winter tires at my shop, and put in some time on the gas tank replacement on a vintage Audi.

I have been reading some books but haven't watched much TV.

That's this week.
Which brewer?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Which brewer?
John Neidemaier has been brewing beer since 1992. He learned (before and) alongside Joe Short, opened Right Brain, trained the owners of 1/3 of the breweries in our area and in 2014 he had the vision to open a farm to pint brewery. He wins most of the taste tests he chooses to enter. He's also a friend of mine.

https://www.breweryterrafirma.com/

Force, just be sure to balance the beer with the great outdoors. Take walks everyday.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 pm
Which brewer?
John Neidemaier has been brewing beer since 1992. He learned (before and) alongside Joe Short, opened Right Brain, trained the owners of 1/3 of the breweries in our area and in 2014 he had the vision to open a farm to pint brewery. He wins most of the taste tests he chooses to enter. He's also a friend of mine.

https://www.breweryterrafirma.com/

Force, just be sure to balance the beer with the great outdoors. Take walks everyday.
Hilarious. This would have been my guess. Everything I've had from there has been good to great. I wish I had just asked if that was the brewery.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 pm

You should try the stuff he doesn't let out of the brewery.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:03 am

Three days of quarantine left. Maybe this lock down has been good for me. I now feel more patient and tolerant.

When bikers go by on their Harleys, I no longer have to fight the urge to go out and throw bricks at them.

Yesterday there was a black spot on the sidewalk in front of the house. It seemed to be spreading, like someone had spilled oil. I went and checked. It was thousands if not millions of tiny black ants swarming out of a crack in the sidewalk. Normally, my first instinct would be to pour a kettle of boiling water over them to get rid of them. But I decided not to visit that upon them. That's kind of what we're going through right now.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 am

So far, I've cleaned out and reorganized my garage. Fixed the engine on my power washer and power washed both of my decks. Built two shelving units in my combination work bench/mini gym/tool room.

Trying to decide if it would be proper to go to Home Depot and buy the stain I would need to stain the freshly power washed decks. What do you think?

If not, I think I'll start trimming some trees today and shape some hedges.

Boy, my dogs sure are happy. Have had the time to do some fine tuning on some of their training and they are loving all the attention.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic