Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Re: What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Went out today to fill up the can with gas for the lawn mower. Just on some kind of a hunch, I decided to fill up a second can, just in case something puts us back into quarantine.

Walking in the exercise yard would be less boring if I was pushing a lawn mower.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Re: What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by Turkeytop » Thu May 14, 2020 10:52 pm

My Union was scheduled to hold our convention this August in Las Vegas. It had to be cancelled. It's going to be rebooked for 2022.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

I bought a 4 pack of All Together IPA today: https://alltogether.beer/

I'll have to report back later.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 17, 2020 12:46 am

I hate this new world of fear and paranoia. Looks like it might become permanent. If the virus takes me, so be it. My life, as I knew it, is already over.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 17, 2020 8:26 am

Here's my buddy making his sweet sweet nectar.

Bryce, just curious, what does a well manicured lawn do for you?

I restore old cars which is essentially the same thing in terms off killing time, I just never understood guys who spend hours on their yard.

Here's what I am working on right now...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 17, 2020 8:50 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:26 am

Bryce, just curious, what does a well manicured lawn do for you?

I restore old cars which is essentially the same thing in terms off killing time, I just never understood guys who spend hours on their yard.
That looks like it's going to be a heck of a restore. What would you estimate total time from start to finish is going to be on that?

Although I haven't worked on cars much since the mid 1970's, if I could find one of these at the right price and right condition, I could be tempted to attempt a restore...

As far as the lawn thing goes, it's more than just a lawn or how the grass looks, it's about creating a interesting and pleasurable outdoor space. One that is nice to look at, to explore and spend time living in. I got the idea while staying at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island when I was in my 20's.

A lot of people have a primary residence and a "getaway" residence in a different part of the state. They load up the car and head to it every weekend. Early on, I decided that I would make my primary residence my "getaway" residence too. Creating a pleasurable outdoor living experience gives me an additional outlet for my creative juices and the finished product provides something that I can enjoy every day, even in the winter.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 17, 2020 10:23 am

I guess my pleasant environment is a beach.

This project I will have about 300 hours into. This one is not too bad except for the rear end and I need to replace the gas tank. I draw a line down the middle of the car everything towards the front is in very good condition.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:23 am
Kinda tough to throw a party on your bench isn't it? I like to entertain. Scratch that, I love to entertain. As much pleasure as you get when you pull up somewhere with your latest restored car of beauty and watching peoples reactions, excitement and ohhing and ahhing, I get the same thing when people explore my grounds and discover the little hidden gems.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Kinda tough to throw a party on your bench isn't it? I like to entertain. Scratch that, I love to entertain. As much pleasure as you get when you pull up somewhere with your latest restored car of beauty and watching peoples reactions, excitement and ohhing and ahhing, I get the same thing when people explore my grounds and discover the little hidden gems.
You have a hell of a landscape from the sounds of it...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Keeps me out of the bars, and my wife won't let me chase women...

On the bright side, she is on board with the outdoor hot tub, which is located next to the fireplace cigar deck/lounge, being clothing optional!

Did I mention I really love to entertain ? ;)

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Keeps me out of the bars, and my wife won't let me chase women...

On the bright side, she is on board with the outdoor hot tub, which is located next to the fireplace cigar deck/lounge, being clothing optional!

Did I mention I really love to entertain ? ;)
I guess so... an entire cigar deck?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Just a small 15x20 space enclosed on three sides with an outdoor fireplace in the middle, a stand up two top and lounge chairs, cigar ashtrays and some plants.

The men always seem to congregate there after dinner.

In perspective, when I finish my latest project, I will have a bit over 3000 square foot of decking on five levels that I have worked on over the past 18 years. All built by myself or I could have never afforded it.

You wouldn't believe how expensive deck screws and lumber are these days. I almost went with Trex on this latest project, but felt it wouldn't blend in with the existing.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun May 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Just a small 15x20 space enclosed on three sides with an outdoor fireplace in the middle, a stand up two top and lounge chairs, cigar ashtrays and some plants.

The men always seem to congregate there after dinner.

In perspective, when I finish my latest project, I will have a bit over 3000 square foot of decking on five levels that I have worked on over the past 18 years. All built by myself or I could have never afforded it.

You wouldn't believe how expensive deck screws and lumber are these days. I almost went with Trex on this latest project, but felt it wouldn't blend in with the existing.
It helps when you don't have the pesky local government permit process to deal with/pay for.
Bryce wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Not sure if the bench comment was a typo, but in this case, he is right and its hard to beat a Great Lakes beach. I prefer Superior to Michigan though.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 pm

We have a standing Sunday sunset gathering all Summer at our "secret" beach. 50 some odd families know about it from several generations. There are people from infancy to 70's. Food, libations, fires, and the sunset. I honestly spend about 4 hours a year on my yard. My lawn died in 2002, I planted creeping Myrtle.

Another favorite is gathering on Saturday's on my lake at a little island. We all float our boats in a small shallow bay.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Bonus. Sleeping with the window open. No traffic sounds. No run over, dead skunks in the street. It's like living in the country again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic