Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Matt

Re: What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:52 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:48 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm
I'm currently drinking a Blackrocks 51K... what I wouldn't give to be in Marquette about right now...
51k is ok, if you ever have the chance to get a taste of Batch 500 from Brewery Tera Firma, you'll forget all about Blackrock.

I had a growler of triple from Rare Bird this week. That's tasty.
I'll check it out when theres an opportunity to safely do so. I really enjoyed a tap takeover they had at the Haymaker Public House about a year ago.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Re: What are you doing to help yourself and others cope with the current environment?

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Just finished cutting the lawn. Out of consideration for the neighbours, I wouldn't normally do it on Sunday. But there are a**holes running up and down on their Harleys, so it's unlikely anyone even heard my machine.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 pm

When we shop for groceries, we've been trying to buy enough for two weeks to minimize trips back to the store. Today we ran out of milk so I had to go to the supermarket.

They limit the number of customers allowed inside, so if it is already at its max, you have to line up outside.

When I got there about 4:00 Pm, I was able to go right in. The aisles are all marked with arrows to indicate direction of traffic. There are parallel lines six feet apart across the aisles. You don't cross one of these lines until the shopper ahead has crossed over the next line.

At the checkout, there are outlines of footprints, six feet apart on the floor. You stand on a set of footprints until the next set of footprints is vacated. At the checkout, the cashier is behind a Plexiglas barrier.

After I paid (by debit card) I said to the cashier, "I bet you'll be glad to get back to normal."

She sobbed, "If we ever do." There were tears on her face.

When I exited the store there was now a line of about eight people waiting to get in.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Sounds like business is booming.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 pm
When we shop for groceries, we've been trying to buy enough for two weeks to minimize trips back to the store. Today we ran out of milk so I had to go to the supermarket.

They limit the number of customers allowed inside, so if it is already at its max, you have to line up outside.

When I got there about 4:00 Pm, I was able to go right in. The aisles are all marked with arrows to indicate direction of traffic. There are parallel lines six feet apart across the aisles. You don't cross one of these lines until the shopper ahead has crossed over the next line.

At the checkout, there are outlines of footprints, six feet apart on the floor. You stand on a set of footprints until the next set of footprints is vacated. At the checkout, the cashier is behind a Plexiglas barrier.

After I paid (by debit card) I said to the cashier, "I bet you'll be glad to get back to normal."

She sobbed, "If we ever do." There were tears on her face.

When I exited the store there was now a line of about eight people waiting to get in.
Yikes...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 05, 2020 9:23 pm

This new, boring life seems to be good for us. My wife has a blood pressure monitor and she's been checking ours. Mine has always been a little high and I have to take medication to control it. Since the start of this lock down. My blood pressure has been going down and down. It's like a twenty year old's now.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed May 06, 2020 9:29 am

Our local pizza places have been booming. They're always busy, and the folks there have worked extra hard to keep up with orders. I've been making a point to leave decent tips when I pickup, higher than usual.

A couple weeks ago I placed an order at one of our local pizza joints (payday is traditionally pizza night at our house). When I picked up I grabbed a 2-liter Diet Coke. The person at the counter rang my order up to $2.40. Thought it was odd as my order included two pizzas and bread sticks. He said that someone had pre-paid to cover a bunch of orders, and all I owed for was the pop. Talk about a Good Samaritan! Don't know who it was, but God Bless 'Em!

Despite the downsides of this crisis, I think in a lot of ways it brings out the best in people. It's that silver lining thing.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 am

We are both continuing to work from home with minimal difficulty. I am quite tired of my cooking, but happy to have been able to have groceries delivered without much trouble. The dishwasher is demanding overtime pay.

We've joked about this being a dress rehearsal for retirement; my wife hopes to hang it up on 12/31. (There's a significant cash bonus on the way, but only if she stays employed until the end of the year.) We've adapted to it better than we thought we would, partially because the house is big enough for us to stay out of each other's way when we need to.

I realize that I speak from a position of privilege, but other than missing my friends and my evenings out enjoying music, the whole shebang has been an inconvenience at worst.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am

I've been finding more time for doing something I really enjoy, reading. Nothing really worthwhile. Mostly just novels. Right now I'm in The Night Fire by Michael Connelly. One of the Harry Bosch novels.

I just finished Stephen Kings The Institute. King is alright in small doses. About once a year I'll read one of his books.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 06, 2020 11:57 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am
I've been finding more time for doing something I really enjoy, reading. Nothing really worthwhile. Mostly just novels. Right now I'm in The Night Fire by Michael Connelly. One of the Harry Bosch novels.

I just finished Stephen Kings The Institute. King is alright in small doses. About once a year I'll read one of his books.
You might think of whipping out a copy of misery :lol

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed May 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:57 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am

You might think of whipping out a copy of misery :lol
I would think "The Stand" would be perfect.

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm

We're spending a lot less these days. Nowhere to spend. So we're indulging ourselves with special treats we wouldn't always have. Things like shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon and cans of mixed nuts

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Amazing how much we have saved. My wife an I are not extravagant but a nice dnner out was a couple hundred when you factor in booze and Uber. Like you gobbler, I am treating myself to a better Reposado and a couple other life upgrades, but intetesting how much you can save. I havent been to a gas station in 6 weeks and petrol has never been cheaper.

The censorship king from out of state.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 pm

I'm using my time and gas money to greatly improve my landscaping.

Next week I'm going to take advantage of closed government offices and add a fourth level to my deck, with a small gazebo, without having to pull a permit.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 pm
I'm using my time and gas money to greatly improve my landscaping.

Next week I'm going to take advantage of closed government offices and add a fourth level to my deck, with a small gazebo, without having to pull a permit.
What they don’t know won’t hurt em?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic